Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

This is a discussion on Honest thoughts on .32 ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a Keltec P32 for a little while both as a back up to a .38 snub and a primary ONLY when absolute ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

I've been carrying a Keltec P32 for a little while both as a back up to a .38 snub and a primary ONLY when absolute deep concealment in low risk environment is priority 1. In all other situations I'm armed with a High-Cap 9mm.

Ok, I love this little pistol. However, I frequently 2nd guess the caliber and feel maybe I should pick up the P3AT to be taken seriously. I do feel the .32 shines in some areas and falls short in others. I just have a hard time discerning which areas apply to me.

After some good thought provoking and logical discussion on the .380 in a few previous threads I'd love some feedback on the .32 Auto.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

How small a hole poked in you till you're ok with it? If it was good enough to kill Hitler, it's good enough to shoot one of my customers with.
    Richard58 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I do not think for all practical purposes it is that much different from the 380, although the 380 does have a slight edge. There is a place for it.

Are YOU willing to get shot in the chest by it? If the answer is "no" then it is good enough, because I highly doubt that your average bad guy is going to want to be shot in the chest by it any more than you do, and in all likelihood they won't be checking the caliber when you draw down on them anyway

Perhaps, here's the real substance to the question: Within the Keltec platform, the differences in the P32 versus the P3AT are virtually negligible. Same gun. Same reputation. It seems however the caliber difference is possibly NOT as negligible as I may have considered so why not get the same gun, higher caliber?

My only reason was that the .380 doesn't slide lock. Important IMO. But I'm starting to wonder if carrying the higher caliber is more important to me than the slide locking back when the weapon is fired empty.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I carry an LWS32 at work because conceal trumps all. If you can carry more, do. If the slide locks back, and the problem still exists, you're screwed.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    I've been carrying a Keltec P32 for a little while both as a back up to a .38 snub and a primary ONLY when absolute deep concealment in low risk environment is priority 1. In all other situations I'm armed with a High-Cap 9mm.After some good thought provoking and logical discussion on the .380 in a few previous threads I'd love some feedback on the .32 Auto.

Ok, I love this little pistol. However, I frequently 2nd guess the caliber and feel maybe I should pick up the P3AT to be taken seriously. I do feel the .32 shines in some areas and falls short in others. I just have a hard time discerning which areas apply to me.
    The areas that apply to you are the same as for when you'll go on a hunt for deer. A good, quick, clean kill. IMO....the 32acp will always be better than nothing. That being said, I'm thinking that many 22LR will take 'em down. Second guess and being taken seriously rely upon you and you alone. Personally, I never like to second guess anything, much less guess anything at all. Make of what you have any way you see fit. If you question your choice, then you're probably better off with something else.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    It's better than not carrying any gun at all, but I believe that the minimum in caliber for self-defense should be a .380 ACP. Therefore, I would just trade it in for the P-3AT or the Ruger LCP. There will be no difference in size, but you will be definitely packing more heat. Load it up with Buffalo Bore .380 and you will have the same stopping power as a standard pressure load .38.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

GM
    IMO the .380 is not an appropriate SD round, but there is a place for it. However, the .32 is out of question.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    Perhaps, here's the real substance to the question: Within the Keltec platform, the differences in the P32 versus the P3AT are virtually negligible. Same gun. Same reputation. It seems however the caliber difference is possibly NOT as negligible as I may have considered so why not get the same gun, higher caliber?

My only reason was that the .380 doesn't slide lock. Important IMO. But I'm starting to wonder if carrying the higher caliber is more important to me than the slide locking back when the weapon is fired empty.

Why do you consider that a slide lock on a mousegun is so important?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've got a Kel-Tec .32 for when I can't carry anything bigger. Yep, I might trade up the the .380, but I have higher financial priorities right now.

I won't kid myself about what the .32 can do. It's what I consider to be an eye-socket gun; it's so tiny, I don't put much stock in it's deterrent value (compared to a big-bore snubby, say). But I know it's reliable with ball ammo and Silvertips and it beats a police whistle by a country mile.
    welder516 and BamaT like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'm with Gasmitty. I have a .32 PP and I consider it a "shove gun". Shove it in a eye, in an ear, under the chin and pull the trigger.
    brichay likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The p-32 holds 0ne more round than the P3AT plus it's lighter. I own both but for deep concealment, the p-32 hangs around my neck on a KT Lanyard. No one has ever noticed since I got it in 1998. Great small backup when you modify the mags to prevent rim lock.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

A pellet gun can kill.Just dont expect any record setting penetration,and dont try to shoot through 3 layers of clothing.Might want to have something bigger if you go into thee woods.

I've been carrying my KT P32 as a back pocket BUG for a long time and I find it much more comfortable and easy to shoot than the .380. The .32 will benefit from (I won't say it needs) Flyer Wires in the magazines. The P380 needs to have the "smiley" issue fixed. The .380 smacks my trigger finger annoyingly hard, the .32 doesn't bother me nearly as fast as the .380.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Carry what you shoot best. My wife carries a Keltec P-32. This doesn't worry me because she can hit the 10 ring at 5 yards every time. She's also told me she'll probably empty the mag is she's forced to shoot. No one wants to be shot with anything, and the scenario is likely to run like this, "Damn, b**ch has a GUN! Damn, b**ch shot me!" Many times, the mere presentation of a defensive firearm is enough deterrent.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links