Which HP Rround Has Largest Expansion % Relative To Its Caliber?

This is a discussion on Which HP Rround Has Largest Expansion % Relative To Its Caliber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We got your point, marion, it just wasn't what the OP asked, nor is it in ANY way the definitive answer. If "big and slow" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which HP Rround Has Largest Expansion % Relative To Its Caliber?

VIP Member
    We got your point, marion, it just wasn't what the OP asked, nor is it in ANY way the definitive answer. If "big and slow" were the absolute, undeniable answer, there wouldn't be so many options out there. We'd all carry 1" diameter handguns shooting 1000gr projectiles at 25 fps and call it a day.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by marionmedic View Post
    I think my point was MISSED entirely.

Who cares how much a round expands if it's ending diameter is less than another.

A .22 can expand 200% and only be a .44, and will have 1/10 the weight.

Out of the calibers listed, the .45 is the one to choose.
    If you can get .80 to .90 with a round and retain the 200g weight, then the others pale in comparison.

BTW - not all the +P and higher FPS ratings are a good thing.
    Sometimes BIG & SLOW works best at inflicting damage.

I think it's funny how some folks say bigger isn't better at wounding or stopping power.
    Bet they would be the very ones to prefer a smaller needle for their IV.
    (Oldish thread, but I wanted to comment).

Let me throw a wrench into your logic real fast.

Take the 5.7x28mm, the so-called "glorified .22." Now, take the velocity of a premium round which can be anywhere from 2000 to 2600 fps with energy from 380-420 ft-lbs. (Velocity is two to three times higher than a .45 with similar energy). Then, take into account that since it is a rifle round, it will tumble and likely yaw. This "tiny" round can make a wound channel similar in size to a .45 with minimal recoil allowing for multiple accurate shots under extreme duress (combat).

Bigger isn't always better, and there is no such thing as stopping power in any of these discussed calibers. Now, if you had a .454 or .500, that would be a different story, as both of those rounds can supposedly cause enough hydrostatic shock to kill a person with a shot to an area considered to be "nonfatal."

Shot placement is and, with current tech, always will be king.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

A 9mm may expand but a .45ACP will never shrink..................

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    A 9mm may expand but a .45ACP will never shrink..................

It sure would be nice if the OP would come back to his own thread (!) and post some manner of response for clarity, as to address some of the questions and clearly varying points of view offered as against what should have been a simple question of diametric measure; As rather than projectile weight, velocity, energy and other such propositions.

Any info on which caliber, (weight included) has the largest expantion % relitive to its calliber
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caliber
    2a : the diameter of a bullet or other projectile b : the diameter of a bore of a gun usually expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and typically written as a decimal fraction <.32 caliber>
    3 : the diameter of a round or cylindrical body; especially : the internal diameter of a hollow cylinder

Projectile expansion is not a function of projectile weight...Thus projectile weight is irrelevant to the question of expansion percentage relative to caliber; Caliber being in firearm context a projectile as unexpanded.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Federal HST
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

On a serious note, I think shot placement with a handgun round is MUCH more important than expansion. If you cannot hit the vitals with it, what good is having a .45 or .357 if you are inaccurate with it? I can put a .380 FMJ round through your heart or brain stem and kill you a lot quicker than I can with a full magazine of .45 acp jhp into non vital areas. Carry what you feel comfortable shooting and what functions in your weapon whether it be .380 to .50 caliber, as long as you can hit the threat while moving under stress. Training is more important than expansion. Just my .02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links