Winchester Ranger 45+P

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger 45+P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I went to a gun show and a vendor had Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement .45 +P ammo for $21.00 OTD for 50rds. I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Ranger 45+P

Winchester Ranger 45+P

This weekend I went to a gun show and a vendor had Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement .45 +P ammo for $21.00 OTD for 50rds. I'm used to paying $15-20 for a 20 or 25rd box of any other name brand HP.
    Do any of you know how/why he is able to sell those so cheap? Or am I paying way too much for the other brands?

2. Remove Ads

The Ranger is generally less expensive but if you've seen the expansion tests you'd be impressed. It's similar to the black talon mor so I've heard.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly I understand +p 9mm , but honestly +p .45 has never made a lot of sense to me .. .45 acp ( or .45 colt for that matter ) will about max out the fbi specs ( assuming your not trying to shoot thro sheatmetal ) with mild easily controled loads . Why generate more recoil than you need to to get the job done
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Short barrels might be one reason to go with the +P.
    I personally like the +P in my Ultra CPD.

I pay $22 + shipping for a box of 50 Win RA45TP, I'd grab $21 with no shipping cost in a minute.

I picked up a couple of boxes of Winchester Ranger (Standard and +P) at the last gun show for $18/box. Seemed like a deal to me for 50 rounds in a box. Either variety feeds just fine in both my Kimbers, and I didn't really notice that much difference in recoil w/ the +P in the Ultra. I'm still investigating what will be the best overall defensive round, but these certainly seem to be a good value. I think I'm going to shell out for a chronograph and see just what kind of performance I'm actually getting.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK
    This weekend I went to a gun show and a vendor had Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement .45 +P ammo for $21.00 OTD for 50rds. I'm used to paying $15-20 for a 20 or 25rd box of any other name brand HP.
    Do any of you know how/why he is able to sell those so cheap? Or am I paying way too much for the other brands?
    I bought a box from that same person that you did at the harbor center. I got my new xd-45 there as well.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The Ranger Ammunition is great ammo, and comes at a great price. Our local PD switched to it about a year ago, and the officers I know have no complaints about it.

I can get it for 20 even around here.

It is essentially the new talon, without the politcally charged "Black Talon" name according to my sources.
    Fear No Evil.

Sponsor
    Ranger T ammo was a redesign of their black talon ammo. It is superior to the black talon due to the bullets design change characteristics. Designed to operate/expand at it's specific velocity ratings.

I have tried both +P and standard Ranger T loads in a full size gov 45, the standard load gave better penetration than the +P. The velocity increase appears to expand the bullet faster thus slowing it's depth some.

Both are good loads, but when I carry the Rangers in the 45, they are the standard pressures, not the +P's for that reason and they are easier to control for followup shots.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    You don't need +P ammo in a .45 ACP. A 9mm yes, .45 no. Save money and save on the wear on your gun-Shoot standard pressure ammo.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

You Guys Got A Deal.i Could Only Find One Vendor At The Trade Center Gun Show That Had Rangers.$30.00 A Box Of 50rds.45 & .45+p.he Said He Is Having A Hard Time Finding Them & The Price Of All Ammo Is Going Up The Middle Of August Because There To Busy Keeping Our Soldiers Supplied.so Stock Up.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Bought a 50 rd box yesterday for 17.50.
    Fear No Evil.

Sponsor
    email Jerry Kirkpatrick here----- jwkpatrick@yahoo.com

He's got all the Ranger you want at great prices. I think I paid 18.00 a box of 50 the last time I ordered some 124+p Bonded 9mm and 147's.

He's down in Fla. I've ordered from him maybe 5 times in the last year for glock parts and Ranger ammo, upstanding dealer, gives you the tracking number and keeps you in the loop at every step.

No need paying outrageous prices on Ranger T's. I've got a case of 500 147's tucked away of this stuff, should not have to buy more for some time now.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Para45Browning9
    $15 a box of 50 here. I get it from the State Police store. Will be picking up my new Springfield XD 45 next week at the same store. I guess I will have to stock up on some ammo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    You don't need +P ammo in a .45 ACP.
    while i agree that the standard .45 acp is an extremely effective round, i have to wonder on what do you base this?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    +p .45 has never made a lot of sense to me
    6' 8" tall 300 pound aggressive badguy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links