.45 & .40 JHP weights?

.45 & .40 JHP weights?

This is a discussion on .45 & .40 JHP weights? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that shoot .40 cal do you shoot 165 or 155? I'm not sure I want 180s because its for a Kahr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 & .40 JHP weights?

.45 & .40 JHP weights?

For those of you that shoot .40 cal do you shoot 165 or 155? I'm not sure I want 180s because its for a Kahr PM40 and I want as little recoil as possible. And for the .45s do you guys shoot 230, 200, or 185? It's for a SIG 220.

In have only shot ball ammo through both guns and need to get some JHPs. I'll be getting 50 rd boxes of Fed Hydra in both calibers from cheaperthandirt.com. It's a very good price and I liked the 124 Hydras in mY GLOCK. I'm thinking 165 for the Kahr and 185+P for the SIG. I've only put 230s through the SIG and I feel the recoil may be a little too brisk for a carry round and want something I can make followup shots with faster and more accurately.

Right now I'm using 200 grain Hornady Xtp's Why 200 because everybody was out of 230 grain Xtp's Good thing is its a hornady load and shoots to point of aim

But typically ill shoot 230 in my 45 why 230? because most 45's are sighted in with 230

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    lol I shoot 124 or so in 9mm and 230 in .45 i never really put much thought into .40 but thinking about it i suspect i would go with 165s . if i want lighter than that and faster i would get a 9mm or .357 sig , if i wanted much heavyer i would get a .45 .. I should note that so far i have found no reason to hang onto any .40 I just have too many other guns , and its not a deathray lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

RLS
    My S&W Mod 646 is dead on with 180 grainers. The 646 shoots close enough at combat distances for 155 grain projectiles (Winchester Ranger). I don't feel at any disadvantage with either load.

My SA Compact LW is fed Pow'RBall 165 grains.
    RLS

Got your flame suit on RR Everytime i say the 40 is nothing special people get bent out of shape

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I carry 180g Speer Gold Dots in my Glock!
    Curry

Lol bud i just dont see the utility of it , recoil and torque is objectionable to me when compaired to 9 or .45 ( one or both of which it is designed to emulate ) I just dont personaly care for it .. others may .. I also have over the years grown out of a lot of formerly held opinions .

( now ill don my flame suit lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Lol bud i just dont see the utility of it , recoil and torque is objectionable to me when compaired to 9 or .45 ( one or both of which it is designed to emulate ) I just dont personaly care for it .. others may .. I also have over the years grown out of a lot of formerly held opinions .

( now ill don my flame suit lol )

i pretty much feel as you do on it so don't feel bad I'm no where near impressed with the 40 Short and Weak

In my full-size 1911, I carry either Hydrashok in 230gr or Ranger SXT (preferred) also in 230 gr. In my 4" Kimber Compact, I use 185gr +P Remington Golden Sabres.

Shoot both 185 and 230 gr out of my 45 not much difference between them. Shoot 165gr out of the 40 because it hates 155s. All ammo is Remington Golden Sabers.

Is there a difference in recoil between 230,200, and 185s for the .45? I have heard the 230s have slightly more recoil. I feel I might need to improve my accuracy with a lighter load and built up to the 230s or maybe just shoot alot of the 230s until I get used to it.

I have noticed I'm flinching and twisting the SIG 220 a little and I bet this is my only problem and the 230s are dead accurate. I noticed this because I also shoot my Ruger MKII every week and I realized I was twitching with the .22.

It's amazing how many flaws in your technique you discover when you shoot several different guns at each range session.

No actually i notice more recoil with a good load in the 45 like the 185 grain its more snappy

75 Personally I will say I can tell the diff ( on factory loadings ) between 185 and 230 grn. Neither is a problem , and for myself I shoot the 230 , but 185 would do the same thing , with prob less felt recoil .
    Again ... pick your cal , pick a load you can shoot , then quit reading the cal questions online ... all are going to work the same ( under stress you cant shoot good enough to pick up that fabled 9mm rapid fire advantage ) and under stress the shot you place wont be close enough for any supposed caliber advantage either .. sorry but they will all work well if you do your part , and if you don't , well then the best place to be is right here talking about it instead of doing it LOL

Lead Moderator
    Seems to me the lighter wts recoil a bit less , but may just be me.

(bent outta shape due to the .40 bashing, J/K. )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Guess i should say a really cranked up 185 like +p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links