Defensive Carry banner

What does it mean...

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  TedBeau 
#1 ·
...when a box of ammo has on it "NOT FOR LE USE" and "PRACTICE AMMUNITION"

What would happen if a LEO carried it?

Is it safe to use for SD?

I bought a bulk box of Speer 9mm +P...it goes through my Ruger like a hot knife through butter...no problems what so ever...

#2 ·
LE ammo can't be sold to the public. so companies such as Speer who want to sell gold dots have to sell extra LE ammo to distributors under this labeling. If you search the Part number on the box and LE boxes they are the same. I have bought and sold a lot of it. Its the same under different packaging. Kinda a ghetto way of skating the law due to a technicallity.

#6 ·
Huh???

You do realize that most ammo sold that is marked "For LE only" is a marketing tool and does not preclude civilians from owning it right? Aside from certain asinine states laws, there is no ammo commonly used by LE that is deemed illegal for "civilians" to own.

I'm sure I have some of that evil "Black Talon" ammo sitting around somewhere....you know, that ammo that seeks LEOs, puppies, and schools when fired?

To the OP: I'd contact the manufacturer and find out why they mark their ammo accordingly....but dollars to donuts, there is some kind of liability on ammo that is spec'd out/marketed for LE versus commercial sale.

#3 ·
LE ammunition CAN be sold to civilians, there are no laws against it. You can buy LE ammo from several vendors that isn't labeled Not For LE or For Training only". When you see not for LE use or Training only it is from a batch run by the manufacturer that did NOT meet all of the specifications. It could be poor sealant, low powder charge, incorrect bullet seating depth, or even cosmetic. Any of these could not meet the required specs and still the ammo could be used for training purposes. The liabilities are why they say not for LE use For Training Only.

I would NOT use it for self defense purposes. Spend the extra cents per round and get the first quality stuff. Now for training, go for it, most of the time it's great stuff but not ALL of the time.

#4 ·
Guys..... reread the post... the OP says "NOT for LE use". . He didn't say "for LE use only" as some do.

Depends upon the round and if you think it will do the job. Some "practice ammo" , has a smaller load of powder in it that a typical round would. So the +P leaves me wondering what it really is. Maybe post the ammo # from the Mfrgr would tell us more.

#5 ·
I did read it, perfectly, if you read my post I discuss the "NOT FOR LE USE". What he is talking about is the ammunition that fails QC at the factory level that gets marked that way. It turns up at various outlets and is marked in that way. You can verify this by calling ATK.

#7 ·
Speer marks it that way because it generally has harder primers than their LE spec ammo calls for, even if just slightly. Having shot many thousands of them over the years in 9mm and .40, without a single issue, it works just fine. No reduced powder charges, no out of spec cases, no squibs or misfires of any kind. They package it in bulk and sell it at a reduced price and people, like me, grab it up every chance I get. As for "LE only" ammo, it's not illegal to buy or sell it at all, it's just company policy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.