9mm bullet weights

This is a discussion on 9mm bullet weights within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the advantages of each bullet weight in 9mm? Is it better to have a heavy bullet or a light one? If you, for ...

Thread: 9mm bullet weights

9mm bullet weights

What are the advantages of each bullet weight in 9mm? Is it better to have a heavy bullet or a light one? If you, for example, practiced with 115gr bullets and carried 147gr would that mess with your accuracy? Which do you carry?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Generally speaking, heavier bullets produce more penetration. This is not an absolute, by any means, but is the general tendency.

Yes, there will be slightly different POA/POI when switching from 115gr to 147gr; how much of a difference (and WHERE) you can only determine by shooting them through your gun.

I use 124gr (for duty and practice) and am comfortable with them.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Generally speaking, heavier bullets produce more penetration. This is not an absolute, by any means, but is the general tendency.

Yes, there will be slightly different POA/POI when switching from 115gr to 147gr; how much of a difference (and WHERE) you can only determine by shooting them through your gun.

I use 124gr (for duty and practice) and am comfortable with them.
    Thanks, I figured it would make a difference in POI. The reason I asked is I'm having a hard time finding practice ammo in anything but 115gr. The heavier weights seem to only come in expensive defensive loads. I just wanted to try them out to decide what I wanted to carry once I get my Concealed Carry License.

Distinguished Member

VIP Member
    You should be able to find FMJ in 124gr; Winchester makes a "civilian" version (Q4318?). It will be close in POI to most 124gr SD loads, in my experience.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Thanks, I figured it would make a difference in POI. The reason I asked is I'm having a hard time finding practice ammo in anything but 115gr. The heavier weights seem to only come in expensive defensive loads. I just wanted to try them out to decide what I wanted to carry once I get my Concealed Carry License.
    Try this site and do search on 147 grain: http://ammoseek.com/

I did some testing during the summer and found to my satisfaction that the difference in POIs for 115gr, 124gr and 147gr were negligible out to at least 15yds, possibly more.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thanks for the info everyone!

I've always been a fan of practicing mainly with the heavier loads (147gr FMJ) for a steady diet, and packing the 124gr+P for carry. This seems to narrow down the felt recoil for me personally when it comes to practice and the range. Over the course of many years...I've attempted to standardize what I put through my 9mms for feel and effect. I have used the 115-117gr loadings in competition before, but since those days I've gone more into the pistol than the round for the forte. Quite honestly (and to answer your question more specifically)........I would think range practice with the lighter weight loading but carrying the heavier loading might be doing things backwards. Just my opinion. Practice with the heavier load, and all else will fall into place more easily. Accuracy? That comes with what you can work with. What you can hit with. IMO.......I've got the 9mm down no matter what I'm putting through it. You need to find the best combo of practice/carry for yourself. Range days are good. test what you can and settle into your niche with the 9mm. To me, the 9mm is the most versatile cartridge anyone can do this with. Your options start to dwindle as you move up in caliber. For simple ergonomics......IMO.....the 9mm is more than likely the best round to personalize to your liking with current market offerings in ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I reload my practice ammo. 115g Berry's RN pushed by VV N-350 to ~1,100 fps out of my Glock 26 (~1,200 out of my Glock 19).

The 19 in the bedside safe and the 26 in my IWB and their spare magazines are loaded with COR-BON 115g DPX +P. It chronographs slightly (~50 fps) faster than my practice ammo out of both pistols.

The practice and carry ammo shoot to the same POI close enough that I can't tell the difference by looking at targets. I worked up the practice ammo load specifically to meet the IDPA power floor requirements in both pistols so I can shoot either in matches. I shoot the matches for fun and practice.

Fitch

What weight bullets are most 9mm sites regulated to? I know most 38 are 158's. I wonder which would shoot poi/poa

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    What weight bullets are most 9mm sites regulated to? I know most 38 are 158's. I wonder which would shoot poi/poa
    - The two most popular JHP weights are 124 and 147. I've shot both out of my Kahr PM9 and haven't really noticed a difference in accuracy at about 50'.

Links