HP ammo recommendations wanted for SA Loaded

This is a discussion on HP ammo recommendations wanted for SA Loaded within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I noted in another thread I picked up a SA Loaded this week. I likely won't get any range time with it until after ...

Thread: HP ammo recommendations wanted for SA Loaded

As I noted in another thread I picked up a SA Loaded this week. I likely won't get any range time with it until after Christmas. What I would like to know is what HP ammo you've used in the Loaded that worked for you. I'm using Wilson 47D mags, I have two and I have the two SA mags that came with the gun (not too worried about what works well with those, but if you've had good luck....). The only .45 acp I've ever owned is a Glock 36 and frankly I haven't found any ammo it doesn't like. I get the impression that 1911's can be a picky breed and wanted some input on what has worked for you with the Wilson mags. The gun is bone stock out of the box new as it came from Springfield.

I have a Springfiled 45ACP from the late 1990's that I bought new. It was a custom gun that was a Prize at a State IPSC Match that was traded in to a gun range I worked for. It functioned flawlessly with everything I fed it. I ran more than 1000 rounds of reloaded 200Gr SWC (which most 45ACP's can choke on) with no issues. After that I ran another 4000 rounds of mostly the same with some ball ammo before being moved to one of my home protection guns loaded with Cor-Bon 185Gr bullits. Most of the .45ACP's are loose enough to shoot almost anything they can digest. You want more accuracy and you go to better barrels and internals. I love mine.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I'd be willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of 1911 feeding failures are caused by the magazine... I don't believe the gun is picky. During tests the only magazine the fed the Gold dot HP was the OEM colt mag that came with my 1911. The CM and SA magazines make the round nose dive into the feed ramp.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

My SA Loaded likes 200gr +p & 230gr Gold dots, 230gr Golden Sabers, 200 & 230gr Hornady XTP, 230 gr WWB - in no particular order. I have shot many ZERO 185 gr JHP at paper without a jam as well. After a few early issues were were corrected by SA, it pretty much will feed anything. I carry 230 Gold Dots in an 8rnd WC mag. I have a few Chip Mc mags and they work great too. Having said all that, I am of the philosophy that there is no magic bullet - shot placement is what counts. Sign me up for a 230 gr JHP in the pinky toe over a .22 in the gizzard

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Get a JHP round that is as round as you can find and it may help. I have Winchester PDX 230 gr JHP in my Kimber and it cycles it very well.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I have two full-size Springers, a 20 year-old 1911-A1 and a relatively new TRP. The only ammo they both had trouble feeding was 200-grain SWC reloads, and some minor throating and polishing took care of that. Among the JHPs "validated" in both guns are Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr and Personal Protection 165 gr, Gold Dot 230 gr, Silvertip 185 gr, and Golden Saber 230 gr.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks guys, I think I'll place an order for some Golden Sabers. I like them in 9mm and 380. I can't find any locally in 45 but seems to be easy enough to get online.

My two Loaded models eat anything, but, as luck would have it, the load they are most accurate with are the 3 loads my dept. authorizes for duty use, those being Fed HST +P 230, Fed HydraShok 230, and Rem Golden Saber 230. But both guns shoot pretty much any load well. Did have to use 165 Fed "Green' compressed copper loads at state firearms instructor course and had about 7 failures to feed/eject out of over 2,000 rds fired. But all the .45s there, Glocks, S&W, Sig, and HK had problems with the stuff. Mags I was using are the ones I carry everyday for duty and off-duty, Wilson 8rders. Interesting though, the 9's and 40's perked right along with the stuff. For practice I just use whatever 230 ball load is available from WalMart.

I've got some GS on order, can't find it locally at this time. When I originally placed the order it was shown in stock then a day or so later got an email saying out of stock and on order. I'll give them till end of January I guess.

Sponsored Links