If your ammo stash became public...

This is a discussion on If your ammo stash became public... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about recent news stories concerning the amount of ammo the authorities find when they search people's homes. For instance, "An ammunition cache ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If your ammo stash became public...

If your ammo stash became public...

I've been thinking about recent news stories concerning the amount of ammo the authorities find when they search people's homes.

For instance, "An ammunition cache of more than a thousand rounds for semi-automatic weapons, including AK-47 cartridges, has been discovered in a city house belonging to two former Pretoria policemen."

or, "Customs officers seized 26 guns and more than 4,000 rounds of ammunition...."

or, "When authorities arrested Newell last week, they found his car contained an M4 assault rifle, a .45-caliber Glock and a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson pistol... Also, 90 rounds of ammunition were found in the car, McPherson said...."

There was another article I read this morning, but I don't remember what or where it was.

Anyway, I got to thinking about how much ammo might be considered 'too much' to keep on hand. Considering I only have a couple .45 1911s, a .357 snubby & a 12 gauge, a few thousand rounds total does not seem to be outrageous. And I am not a hard-core gun guy; my supply is primarily dependent on when I find a good price.

Thoughts?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

2. Remove Ads

I'm in deep shtuff... I have .38s, 9mms, .32s, .22s & a .380. The gendarmes would find 1,000 rounds of 9mm, about 600 of .38, 100 of .32, 150 of .380 and close to 1,000 rounds of .22. The 20 gauge & 12 gauge shotguns are also well supplied, as is the 30-30. Let's not talk about the reloading supplies...

That's not really an ammo stash...just like that's not really a knife!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The media would report "thousands of rounds" of "deadly hollowpoint" bullets and "an arsenal" of "assault weapons", if they looked in my office closet. I have my LR-308, my Bushmaster AR-15, my .22LR bolt-action rifle in there. My XD40s are kept elsewhere or on me, and my girlfriend's .38 is either on her or stored elsewhere.

I also have a case of practice ammo for my .40s, most of a case of Gold Dot defensive (LE packaging) ammo, around 500 rounds of soft-point .308 that doesn't cycle right in my rifle plus the 100 or so rounds that actually function properly, a few hundred rounds of .223 for my Bushmaster, and a few boxes of .38 practice and some of the too-small "personal defense" boxes of Gold Dot .38. Oh yeah, and most of a 400 round brick of .22 LR. I'm actually gonna buy a couple more cases of .40 soon, I think one case left is 'getting low'.

I doubt that my closet has much compared to most gun owners. Actually, I would imagine it's a little low compared to most people in this forum, I don't really have much of an ammo budget, or time to do much shooting.

"You're going to need a bigger truck."
    I pay little mind to the sensationalising of the media.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Let em come, I've got paper work for every gun and round I have in my house.

But, if the government ever caped the amount of ammo one was allowed to have on hand, I would have to go in the hole digging business.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Well the police have no reason to come knocking on my door. I'm a good guy. Besides, the sheriff and all the cops already know what I have.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Let em come, I've got paper work for every gun and round I have in my house.

But, if the government ever caped the amount of ammo one was allowed to have on hand, I would have to go in the hole digging business.
    Shovel party?

I don't think the police would question how much ammo I have, but the news might.

This should not be an issue. All my firearms are registered and legal; all my ammo is legally purchased; and everything is safely stored. I can't see any reason why my house would be searched anyway.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    This should not be an issue. All my firearms are registered and legal; all my ammo is legally purchased; and everything is safely stored. I can't see any reason why my house would be searched anyway.
    From your profile:

:-D

Of course, if you were in NYC, I'd be more convinced of my conclusions, lol

I've shot more than that in one afternoon. My stuff ain't registered and my ammo isn't either. I figure its no ones business but my own as to what I have.

If my stash ever became public, it would make most Yankees swoon...

90 rounds?? (from the last link) what they don't realize is that's less than one box off the shelf at WalMart LOL So he loaded his gun with 10 rounds and that's what was left in the box. Big whoop! Sounds like a crime to me. NOT.

I'd be embarrassed to admit that if they searched my house tonight, they'd probably come up with less than 1000 rounds, with most of it being the 550 bulk box of .22's
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    From your profile:

:-D

Of course, if you were in NYC, I'd be more convinced of my conclusions, lol
    This is rural country here... plenty of folks have firearms, and Gander Mountain does a brisk business in ammo!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I need to check the inventory, but I believe that before the 'tragic boating accident', I had all of those news reports beat.

The media will hype anything for sensationalism. If they got me on the way to my buddy's farm for an afternoon of target shooting, they could make it sound like I was ready for war. Realistically, paper targets and steel plates would be all that got shot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links