Pictures of Recoil and Flame Differences for .357 and .38 Spl +P - Page 2

Pictures of Recoil and Flame Differences for .357 and .38 Spl +P

This is a discussion on Pictures of Recoil and Flame Differences for .357 and .38 Spl +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Try the Speer Gold dots for short barrels...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Try the Speer Gold dots for short barrels

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I always kind of liked the flame effect out of my previous .357mag in broad daylight. The flash and the blast. What I've learned is that a good show only goes so far. What's more impressive are the downrange ballistics, a good hit, and your target going down. A flash in the darkness will temporarily blind you. Something you don't want when you need to take a second shot. My .40cal semi autos are bad enough.....but manageable with the flash in total darkness.
    You are only blinded if you don't keep shooting! Heck that .357 will light up a room!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    I assume from the pics that difference in recoil is significant? I like what I see on the 38s.
    Yes, it is very much significant and that should be the lesson taken from this pictorial exercise...As rather than shock & awe about wow guns make visible flame when fired in darkness.

In combat imagine having need to fire a _second_ or third or fourth shot.
    Think of how slooow one would be with realignment of the sights toward a follow up as opposed to that of the .38 firing +P duty ammo.

Folk may think ehh I only have to fire the .357 once due to it's ballistics and energy.
    Yeah that's great toward hunting or shooting a BG that you know will for a fact will stop and reverse course thanks to a one stop shot, like in a video game.
    But real world what if dude,or gal, takes that shot and keeps coming...Or what if you miss (!)...Or what if there are two or three more threats?
    Now what. : |

The clock is ticking with no pause.
    Which gun now would one want to have in hand, without regard to flame?

.38 vs. .357 magnum, day and dusk, as well as profile view toward recoil actual without regard to shooter perception as felt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSv7AYIRhnM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfaoHe4izaQ

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    GREAT pics! What a potent reminder to not wrap your support hand around the cylinder gap!
    Amen! I've seen some pretty gruesome pics of fingers that were next to the gap. Most were auto shooters trying to index a wheelgun. Not a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Amen! I've seen some pretty gruesome pics of fingers that were next to the gap. Most were auto shooters trying to index a wheelgun. Not a good idea!
    Cool pics. Not having much revolver experience I'd worry about my fingers.

I'll still take the .357. In the second video, in spite of the increased recoil, not how fast the barrel comes back on target, faster than most people can shoot a DA revolver.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I'm gonna have to disagree with those that say the flash will blind you in darkness. Speaking from personal experience in serious and perilous situations, when you fire the round much of the flash is blocked from view by your hands, arms and the gun. The flash will light up your target and silhouette your front sight allowing you to realign for each follow up shot. You can get used to it if you have a place you can do some night practice... Notice in the first pic you can see the front sight...

If your standing off to the side as in the pics, you will definitely see spots...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlimke View Post
    Recoil about 45 degrees on the .357, about 10-12 degrees on the 38 +P. Perceived felt recoil obviously stronger on the .357, but still quite manageable. This week the .45ACP is the video star.
    I noticed your grip for the revolver could be improved. If you wrap the fingers of your support hand around your shooting hand fingers and then wrap your support hand thumb on top of and behind your shooting thumb then clamp down strongly with the support hand, it will help reduce the muzzle flip and make follow up shots faster...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links