AR Ammo ? - Page 2

AR Ammo ?

This is a discussion on AR Ammo ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bruce272 I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, but it seems like a good place to post this rather stupid question. What ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR Ammo ?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, but it seems like a good place to post this rather stupid question.

What if any, is the difference between .223 val and 5.56 ammo. Forget the bullet weight, can these be interchangeable. I have a pre-ban Colt AR with a 18" barrel and an 11.5" (no name manufacturer) with a 4" flash hider silver soldered on. Possibly the short barrel is US mil?

Thanks

Bruce
    If your barrel is marked 5.56 you can shoot either .223 or 5.56 . If your barrel is marked .223 only shoot .223 ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    lots of solid advice here! if your buying locally or from an individual make sure you ask if there is a discount for mass quantities. Thats how I accumulated most of my ammo when you ask for prices on over 1000 rounds people tend to give you a nice deal.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I scored a deal on bulk American Eagle 50gr JHP and the Wnchester 45gr JHP shown above. I'm not extremely particular about my spare magazines but the magazines in my ARs are loaded with these rounds. They stabilize in everything from a RRA match barrel to my old CAR-15A1.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The best round for self-defense would be BlackHill's excellent loading with the 60 gr Hornady VMAX at 3,150 fps.

This will do far more horrific damage, and be much, much safer to shoot in an urban area.

It gets a 4 star review:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=389230

Cheap 55 gr FMJ ammo is fine for practice. But don't use it for self-defense.

Use this instead. Blackhills ammo is super accurate, too. Far superior to Federal American Eagle or Winchester White Box in accuracy.

An even cheaper alternative would be the Winchester White Box 45 gr HP load. However, the cost for the Blackhills is only a tad higher, and it is definitely the superior ammo
    Varmint rounds are not preferred for self defense applications due to their under penetration characteristics. Will it suck to be shot by one? Yeah, but it's not nearly as effective as a heavier round.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links