AR Ammo ?

AR Ammo ?

This is a discussion on AR Ammo ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought myself a new AR Rifle and in purchasing Ammo found a wide variety on the market. My manufacture suggest that all ammo should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Ammo ?

AR Ammo ?

I bought myself a new AR Rifle and in purchasing Ammo found a wide variety on the market. My manufacture suggest that all ammo should be made to American Standards so ammo like Wolf etc. are not in my future, at least not yet.

My question is that I can buy American Eagle (Black Box) for about .40 cent a round. This is 55gr. FMJ. I was wondering what would be a good defense round for the AR. .78 Gr. TAP is close to .90 cent a round and when you're loading up 6 30 round magazines this is kinda expensive.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Unless you live on the Mexican border, you probably won't need 6 mags' worth of ammo to solve your problem. But if you're in that bad of a spot that you do, I wouldn't worry about whether the bullet is a sexy TAP or just M193 ball.

The TAP and similar offerings are indeed good, even great for defensive purposes, but if you're reaching for a rifle then you need to understand that nearly every rifle round out there will penetrate most residential walls, car bodies, and of course humans.

Be aware that heavier (longer) bullets such as the 75 grain TAP rounds need a rifling twist rate of 1:7 to properly stabilize them. If your barrel is 1:9, then I'd look to the 55 and 60-grain TAP rounds from Hornady.

FWIW, the county deputies and local Border Patrol guys I've been in trainings with out here all use FMJ ammo for their duty carbines.

You might want to try a couple of boxes and see how it works in your carbine. The trajectory will probably be close enough to 55 and 62 grain ball that you won't have to re-zero, but that's one of the things you'll need to validate for yourself. Then just maybe keep your first magazine loaded with the "good" stuff, and use ball for the rest.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

IMO...you don't need to over think things with the brass cased/boxer primed ammo for defensive purposes. FMJ will do just fine. .223 hp are good as well. No need to get into the specialty ammo with your AR. Simple ballistics in a hi-power carbine. What do our military forces depend on to this day? FMJ. Specialty.......exotic....or over-priced ammo isn't really worth the endeavor. Hitting your target and taking it down is. Keep things simple.

+1 on what Smitty said. Sound realistic advice. And RamRod also. Take this to the bank.

RKM
    I've shot 75grain TAP out of my 1:9 twist barrel at 100 yards, and while the zero was WAY off the 55grain stuff, there was no keyholing, and it grouped a feww inches off zero. 75grain TAP hits 1" low from my "55gr zero" at 25 yards. Good enough for self defense, I think :) I bought 3 20 round boxes of TAP. I shot 30 rounds to make sure my rifle liked it and have another full mag ready to go. If you need 6 mags, you're probably dead anyway.

If you're using your AR for self defense, it'll most likely be inside 25 yards, hopefully. If you need to reach out further, I'd rather use a bigger bullet and a bolt action anyway. That's just my opinion. Too bad I don't have my own bolt action yet.

I shoot PMC bronze 55grain FMJ at the range. Works flawlessly. Not the most accurate I've shot, but I'm not a bullseye shooter. I shoot for fun. It's cheap, it's brass and if needed plain old .223 55gran FMJ will work just fine for self defense will proper placement.

I'm in the plain ol' M193/55 grain fmj camp and wouldn't be interested in the 78 grain TAP round.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks guys, appreciate the response. I figured I would not need 6 mags. either but since I have 6 I was going to do a couple of TAP and the rest in 55 FMJ's. I think I'll stick with the 55 gr. FMJ.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

I live near the border and don't have six magazines loaded.

Two 30-Round mags downloaded to 28 Rounds each and one 20 Round mag for shooting prone or putting the rifle in it's case works for me. I'll shoot just about any cheap decent or semi-decent ammo I can find for practice, but run Black Hills 69 Grain BTHP's as my "social situation" ammo.

Biker

In a SHTF situation where I'd need to pull out and AR and need several mags, as said before, I'm not going to really care what's in it. As long as it'll feed and I can hit something with it I'll be a happy camper.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefrcd View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate the response. I figured I would not need 6 mags. either but since I have 6 I was going to do a couple of TAP and the rest in 55 FMJ's. I think I'll stick with the 55 gr. FMJ.

The best round for self-defense would be BlackHill's excellent loading with the 60 gr Hornady VMAX at 3,150 fps.

This will do far more horrific damage, and be much, much safer to shoot in an urban area.

It gets a 4 star review:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=389230

Cheap 55 gr FMJ ammo is fine for practice. But don't use it for self-defense.

Use this instead. Blackhills ammo is super accurate, too. Far superior to Federal American Eagle or Winchester White Box in accuracy.

An even cheaper alternative would be the Winchester White Box 45 gr HP load. However, the cost for the Blackhills is only a tad higher, and it is definitely the superior ammo

M193/55 grain fmj is all you need. you can find some good deals on the net for it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, but it seems like a good place to post this rather stupid question.

What if any, is the difference between .223 val and 5.56 ammo. Forget the bullet weight, can these be interchangeable. I have a pre-ban Colt AR with a 18" barrel and an 11.5" (no name manufacturer) with a 4" flash hider silver soldered on. Possibly the short barrel is US mil?

Thanks

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

I just got a flyer from Cabelas, Federal Tactical Black Box, Lake City brass, 55 gr. FMJ

1000 for $329 plus free ammo box.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, but it seems like a good place to post this rather stupid question.

What if any, is the difference between .223 val and 5.56 ammo. Forget the bullet weight, can these be interchangeable. I have a pre-ban Colt AR with a 18" barrel and an 11.5" (no name manufacturer) with a 4" flash hider silver soldered on. Possibly the short barrel is US mil?

Thanks

Bruce
    Not a stupid question.

The 5.56 Nato round has a higher pressure in the chamber than the .223rem. Also the 5.56 has a tad longer neck, than the .223rem.

OP, for shooting/plinking which I do alot of. I get the Federal bulk pack from Walmart it's 55gr. FMJ (100rounds for 40bucks) and is fairly accurate.

I keep 5 30round C-Product SS mags loaded with the FMJ....which I shoot out often. I keep two 20 round Colt mags loaded with the 55gr TAP incase of SD. I keep all my rounds @ 55gr for consisantcy.I'm starting to invest into the Pmags. I can get them for 12bucks at local gunshows. I now only have two 30rounders....I will most likely pick two more up and several 20rounders.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have used American Eagle, PMC, and Winchester on my RRA LAR-15 5.56/.223. They have worked great on those brands I have used. Although Wolf ammo works well on certain rifles, I would still not take any risk on using them with my rifle although it's been said that RRA rifles can tolerate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links