Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel .357 mag opinions?

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel .357 mag opinions? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a good .357 mag SD round for my S&W 640. I've tried the Hornady Critical Defense .357 mag load and it seems ...

Thread: Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel .357 mag opinions?

I'm looking for a good .357 mag SD round for my S&W 640. I've tried the Hornady Critical Defense .357 mag load and it seems pretty good. I didn't mind the recoil and was able to be accurate with it. I currently carry and like the GDSB .38 +p in my S&W 638. I know that there is a GDSB .357 mag round, so that is a possibility. From my research it seems the Golden Sabers and Silvertips have a good following as well, though they were not necessarily designed for short barrels.

However, I have come across the BB load that is low flash/low recoil yet still a powerful .357 mag load. It comes in 158, 140 (out of stock) and 125 grain loads. Does anyone have experience with any of these loads and would like to comment? The write-up about this ammo on the BB web site indicates this is a very well-planned load, but I'd like to hear some less partial opinions.

Thanks for any responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I'm looking for a good .357 mag SD round for my S&W 640. I've tried the Hornady Critical Defense .357 mag load and it seems pretty good. I didn't mind the recoil and was able to be accurate with it. I currently carry and like the GDSB .38 +p in my S&W 638. I know that there is a GDSB .357 mag round, so that is a possibility. From my research it seems the Golden Sabers and Silvertips have a good following as well, though they were not necessarily designed for short barrels.

However, I have come across the BB load that is low flash/low recoil yet still a powerful .357 mag load. It comes in 158, 140 (out of stock) and 125 grain loads. Does anyone have experience with any of these loads and would like to comment? The write-up about this ammo on the BB web site indicates this is a very well-planned load, but I'd like to hear some less partial opinions.

Thanks for any responses!
    I carry hornady critical defense or hornady leverrevolution in mine. Yes I know the second was designed for a lever action rifle but it is doing very well out of 4+ inch barrels. I have never tried the BB but two of my firearm instructors at work carry and praise the stuff. They are both gun collectors and reloaders and always talk good about the BB.

My wife carries and practices with the BB SB .357mag. in here Ruger SP101 2.25bbl. It's a great round, IMO. You certainly can tell it's a .357...big bang, but still manageable. She carries this round primarily when hiking/camping. We like it.

VIP Member
    I use the .38+P BB 158 in my S&W 640 and I like it. It's clearly a stout load but I find it quite manageable. For what its worth, Mass Ayoob likes it too as a man stopper. Now, I'm not using it for normal range or course work but it is my preferred choice for SD carry. In fact, I just ordered some more yesterday from Midway. As far as the BB .357 I have not used it and frankly I don't believe I will from my 640. I'd prefer a slightly heavier frame for .357 loads, but that's just me.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

"It's clearly a stout load but I find it quite manageable."

Considering the high velocities gained, it is very amazing that it is so manageable. Also amazing that it doesn't show flattened primers or sticky extraction. Any heavy handload that I have tried that approached its performance (none equalled) gave tell-tale signs of elevated pressure. I'd love to know how they do it but of course they would want to protect their trade secret.

I've yet to try some in any J-Frame revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "It's clearly a stout load but I find it quite manageable."

Considering the high velocities gained, it is very amazing that it is so manageable. Also amazing that it doesn't show flattened primers or sticky extraction. Any heavy handload that I have tried that approached its performance (none equalled) gave tell-tale signs of elevated pressure. I'd love to know how they do it but of course they would want to protect their trade secret.

I've yet to try some in any J-Frame revolver.
    Ok, I’ll add a few caveats that may explain why I haven’t experienced some of the issues or compromises you mentioned. First up, I’m shooting the BB 38+P and not the BB .357 loads. My 640 is modified with a black powder chamfered cylinder and I have an extended firing pin. Aside from the increased flash, I still feel relatively secure on the control side.

About the only other thing I wish I could bring myself to do, would be to have the gun coated with NP3-Plus for easier cleaning and a slightly smoother operation. As it is, it’s more of a dinner gun with finer appointments. Man, I hate it when I end up with project pieces.
    Last edited by Saber; January 1st, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

My CCW for a better part of the year is a S&W 640, .357 magnum and my SD round is the Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel Low Recoil, Low Flash .357 round in 125 grain. What a great round.

Very accurate from my S&W, significantly less recoil than the 135 grain Short Barrel Gold Dots, with much more energy (about 122 additional ft. lbs) and velocity. Great SD round for what you're looking for, IMHO.
    Wilson Combat Tactical Elite
    Springfield Champion, Springfield Mil Spec, Beretta 92FS
    Smith & Wesson 642, Smith & Wesson 640
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series, Smith & Wesson 629 Classic
    Remington 1100 Competition Master, Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless 300 WSM

VIP Member
    Morning Tar Heel,
    Haven’t used the BB-125/357 (yet) but I do agree the Gold Dot 135+P is more menacing than my Buffalo Bore 158/38P. However, based on your account I think I'll order some of the 357 and try it. Besides, one can never really have too much stock of paper cutters.

Regards,
    Dan
    ~ Stephen King

Thanks for the responses, guys! It sounds like BB has something worth checking into.

test Gun Ruger LCR:
    Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel 158 Grain 1080 FPS average.
    Buffalo Bore 38 special +P 158 Grain 1010 fps average. (These were difficult to extract).
    Buffalo Bore HEAVY .357 magnum 158 Grain. 1050 fps average.
    Double Tap Bonded Defense 158 Grain 1180 FPS !!!
    The double tap is what I settled on for carry. Did not notice issues with excessive flash, but did not test an night. That test will be coming soon.
    However, the LCR is going bye-bye as it had to be scrapped out by Ruger after not much more than 1000 rounds through it. It failed the durability test.
    I'm going to try a Taurus 651 next. If it hold up, and I can handle the extra weight in my pocket, it should be a winner.

I'm personally not keen on Ruger LCRs but am not certain at all that a Taurus produce is the replacement answer. Observations of Taurus revolvers gleaned while examinining their function issues seems to indicate metallurgical problems. Soft, or improperly hardened parts in the revolvers' actions render them rough or downright unserviceable, apparently with some frequency.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I carry 125 grn 357 DPX or Speer 135 Grain SB magnums in my 640 Pro. It is difficult to find a bad HP for the 357 magnum. Find one you shoot well out of your gun.

I do not care for the LCR or Taurus revolvers either. S&W and me.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I was gonna buy a 649 but couldn't find a good deal on one. I figure the Taurus was cheap enough and considering the lifetime warranty, worth a try.

I use Remington UMC 125 gr sjhp in mine. It's $42 for 100 rounds and I plink with it so I figured use the rounds I practice on.

Sponsored Links