Suggested 9mm "Reduced recoil loads".

This is a discussion on Suggested 9mm "Reduced recoil loads". within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to pick up and LC9 soon and was looking for suggestions as far as reduced recoil, lighter bullets, for this pistol. I ...

Thread: Suggested 9mm "Reduced recoil loads".

I am going to pick up and LC9 soon and was looking for suggestions as far as reduced recoil, lighter bullets, for this pistol.

I see federal has a 105grn. EMFJ @ 1235fps/353lbs-ft.

as well as a 115grn. JHP @ 1180fps/356lbs-ft.

Has anyone tried these offerings? Can you actually tell a difference in these from a standard loading with 124/147 grain bullet?

Here's a real simple way--

Find the round with the least amount of muzzle energy. That'll have the least recoil, regardless of bullet weight.

If Newton was anything to shout about, that is.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I've looked and not found anything that really stuck out other than standard pressure rounds...just wondering if anyone had any personal experience.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Its a 9mm, pick a bullet, any bullet and it would be a "reduced recoil"
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Stay away from +P and +P+ rounds and stick with standard pressure loads. I think Cuda66 summed it up pretty well.

9mm is a pretty tame round as far as recoil goes, but can be a handful in your subcompact and mouse gun platform for a lot of people. If you can't handle standard pressure rounds in that small size pistol, then you may have to step down to the .380 if you are wanting to stay with a semi automatic platform. (Of course you can't shoot the .380 in a pistol chambered for the 9x19 round (9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I didn't have a problem with +P rounds out of my Walther PPS at all, however I could get a great grip on that and this is just a wee bit smaller. Just looking at different opinions.

You may have the cart before the horse. Get the gun first and try some standard (not +p) ammo through it and see how it shoots. From the reviews I've read so far, it seems to be a manageable gun without the bite and blistering you can get from some 9mm mouseguns. That is, you probably don't need reduced recoil ammo with it. But you'll have to make that call for yourself.

"Recoil" is a very dynamic interplay between weapon and cartridge. It involves a lot of things, and how the gun is balanced plays a big role in that.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I didn't have a problem with +P rounds out of my Walther PPS at all, however I could get a great grip on that and this is just a wee bit smaller. Just looking at different opinions.
    - The recoil should be manageable. I have a Kahr PM9, which is smaller and lighter than the LC9. I haven't had any issues with standard or +P ammunition and I'm a small guy.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    You may have the cart before the horse. Get the gun first and try some standard (not +p) ammo through it and see how it shoots. From the reviews I've read so far, it seems to be a manageable gun without the bite and blistering you can get from some 9mm mouseguns. That is, you probably don't need reduced recoil ammo with it. But you'll have to make that call for yourself.
    - I agree. Wait until the LC9 comes out and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Its a 9mm, pick a bullet, any bullet and it would be a "reduced recoil"
    Boy, that's where my thoughts were going...

What's next, a "reduced recoil" .22 rimfire?

But seriously... Foo, what a lot of us do is try different ammo in our guns to see what functions well and how the gun handles. The LC9 is a polymer gun which already takes some of the bite out of recoil (compared to an all-metal gun), but I think you need to feel how it shoots first before you start looking for reduced-recoil loads. The way the gun sits in your hand and presence/absence of muzzle flip may make all the difference as far as perceived recoil is concerned.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

You may want to look at the Hornady Critical Defense 115 Gr FTX. It's optimized for short barrels and the cases are nickle plated for smooth feeding. I got mine from bass pro for $18.99.

I keep hearing 380 recommended for less recoil over a 9mm.
    I have a few hang guns among them are some 9mm and 380.
    The 380 LCP with a 95 gr jacketed flat round has more recoil than any of my 9mm One because it is so small and light two there in not as much difference in a 380 and 9mm as you think.
    My p89 and p90 have less recoil than the SR9C all three are very controllable when you get to the LC9 you notice the recoil more when you get to the LCP380 you really feel it.
    It you want less recoil you need a big/heavier weapon

Reduced recoil 9mm would be a 380 acp
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links