Wal Mart ammo - back in stock it seems

This is a discussion on Wal Mart ammo - back in stock it seems within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopped by my local Wal Mart today, and the ammo selection was actually pretty decent. I was limited by my budget more than availability, for ...

Thread: Wal Mart ammo - back in stock it seems

Thumbs up Wal Mart ammo - back in stock it seems

Stopped by my local Wal Mart today, and the ammo selection was actually pretty decent. I was limited by my budget more than availability, for the first time in a looong time.

There was ample .22 LR, .380 (!), 9mm, .40, .45, and even .38 Spl. They also had 12 gauge target loads.

Only thing I didn't see was any 5.56/.223 or 12 gauge buckshot (lots of slugs, but no buckshot – weird).

I did a price check on .30-30 versus 7.62 x 39. Whoa – the .30-30 is 3 X the price, compared to the Tula they had in stock (which was only $5 for 20 rounds of 122 gr FMJ). I might have to re-think my idea of getting a lever gun – while I would prefer it to an SKS or AK for the easier ability to mount a scope, I just shudder at those ammo prices.

I would actually prefer a Mini 30 Ranch Rifle to mirror my Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, but it just costs too much to buy, and Ruger warns against the cheaper steel-case Russian ammo.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Our local WMs have had plenty in stock over the past six months. I have noticed that they seem to have gone with different manufacturers on some things. Apparently an after effect of other vendors not being able to keep up with the demand during the so-called shortage.
    Matter of fact, our local WMs have so much in stock, some of them have gone to putting the bulk packs and all the shotgun ammo out of the case and on shelves. Their lockable ammo cases won't hold it all.

Yeah there has been a noticeable uptick in the ammo supplies at the wal-mart near me in the past couple months. Definitely a welcome development. I've actually been seeing .45 auto and 7.62X39 there on a regular basis, and even .380 pretty frequently. Hopefully it stays this good...

VIP Member
    I was thinking of picking up some .38 so anyone know what brand/style they carry?
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Too bad they don't carry 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I was thinking of picking up some .38 so anyone know what brand/style they carry?
    That may vary depending on location. It's usually the Winchester white box in these parts. I've even seen the 38spl+P on the shelves once in a while.

It seems people are realizing that the current administration is not going to take away their guns and ammo. The sense of urgency and panic created by the entire gun industry was very profitable indeed. The sheep were easily convinced it was all true.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Wally world here has had plenty of ammo here. Even 38+p and 380. Mostly red and white box. The only problem is I do not like china mart and I need to be armed to go there. I admit to going there though.

My wally world had 380 up thru .45ACP in WWB. The Federal 50 round boxes were less than the 100 round WWB boxes. So with no limits on boxes, I bought Federal at less than $1.00 over WWB. They had no issues with stocking me up with 20 boxes of ammo!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

1 type .357 hp, and no .357 fmj's of any type showing up anywhere we can find.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Our WM had such an explosion of ammo in December, they marked it down......so I loaded up!
    Now I gotta figure up a good way to store it all......
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Yes I'm sure that it is safe to say that the ammo shortage is over. I went up to my local store and walked up to the desk (their ammo is behind the desk, not in a locked case) and bought a few hundred rounds of 9mm, .38s, and .357mags with no problem.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    Wally world here has had plenty of ammo here. Even 38+p and 380. Mostly red and white box. The only problem is I do not like china mart and I need to be armed to go there. I admit to going there though.
    But of course, I am always armed when I go there! Of course I am always armed when I go anywhere except work.

There is a lot of 230 gr .45 ACP Federal "Champion" in stock at the Colonial (near Alafaya) WM. Quite a bit! There's probably over 10 boxes near eye level, then on the top shelf, there's a whole bunch more! Man it was amazing to see. $16.97/box.

There were also two boxes of 230 gr .45 ACP TulAmmo. $14.97.

They also had some WWB in .40 S&W, .38spl (130 gr I think), and a few others.

I am not at all against picking up an occasional box of ammo from Wal Mart but really limit doing so. In fact most of the range ammo I supplement from Wal Mart. I find a much better selection and some very inexpensive prices from some trusted internet sources that will ship to your door. Of course in some states this is not an option. If you have not tried out Ammoman or Ammunition To Go, I would urge you to check their selection and pricing.

Links