10mm Personal Defense?

This is a discussion on 10mm Personal Defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Buffalo Bore's website shows a photo of a box of 180gr that plainly says "Gold Dot", but when I received mine last week they ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10mm Personal Defense?

The Buffalo Bore's website shows a photo of a box of 180gr that plainly says "Gold Dot", but when I received mine last week they look like Montana Gold bullets. Definitely not Gold Dots that I wanted. No answer at the shop in days, I assume that's because of SHOT show. I'm not happy to pay what I did and not get what was advertised.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Couple of points: A very good friend of mine who's far more into ballistics than anyone else I know refuses to shoot Gold Dots out of his 10 millies. He's done some extensive testing on ferral dogs on his parent's land. Speer is using bullets designed for .40S&W speeds in their 10 millimeter loadings and yes, from his testing the bullets performed very poorly. The petals are folding back completely .. so the overal diameter of the bullet doesn't increase - might as well shoot a fully jacketed bullet. The Hornaday XTP and the Winchester Silvertips have all performed as intended - it's what he recommends.

Second note: Good luck with that Fusion. The online reviews are only a small part of of the equation. Keep in mind that both Fusion "forums" (the one at 1911forum.com and the other at 1911auto.com) are administered by Bob and crew. Negative posts are quickly removed. Many long-time 1911forum contributers have been outrighted banned from the site for life by Bob for speaking up and telling their horror stories.

My own 10mm was a joke and in no way worth the $2K spent on it. Bob's "legendary" customer service .... isn't. He's a nice guy, I'll give him that, but he's in way over his head and the products leaving the door are abysmal. Some people are very happy with what they get, I hope you're one of them, I really do ... but there is an "underground" of sorts of pissed off Fusion victims and the stories are scary. PM me if you want to hear my own experiences with the "legendary customer service".
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I didn't find Turbo's (my buddy as mentioned in the previous post) original thread - but I did find some follow up by him on THR: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=169582
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Winchester silvertips are great for personal defense in the 10mm as well as the Hornady XTP's.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for posting that video AZ.

10mm

I reload my own for carry, hunting, competition. All my Glock 10mms, w/exception of the 20C, have KKM (ie fully supported chambers) barrels to handle the "extra" pressure. Out of a "standard length" Glock 20 barrel:

180 XTP & GDs @ 1350fps
    200 XTP 1250fps
    155 Barnes 1400fps

With a Glock 29 the velocities are a little less & w/the 6" barrel a little more.

Generally carry the 180s & 155s, in the Glock 29s, and the 200s in the standard & 6".

Three of the Glock 10s I own have comps: 1 being the 20C, a KKM comped 20 & 29. Perceived recoil w/the comped KKMs is similar to a down loaded 9mm. Though, they are loud, as more of the sound is directed back @ you.

I love the cartridge's versatillity & the flawless function of the Glock w/it's large magazine capacity.

Having recently retired from the Army; fought in 2 1/2 conflicts. It simply does not get any better, in terms of a handgun, than the Glock 10mm.

Good shooting
    Last edited by Buski; February 5th, 2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I'm going to order a 10mm longslide this spring. It's not going to be a daily carry, but it might be occasionally. I've heard that full-power 10mm loads with hollowpoints are problematic because they're so fast they won't expand properly before they leave the average human body. It sounds unlikely to me, but am I missing something?
    My understanding is that hollowpoints in any caliber either expand in the first few inches following impact or don't expand at all; it's not a gradual process, expanding more and more as the bullet travels deeper. More of a now (impact) or never (failed to expand) event.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My understanding is that hollowpoints in any caliber either expand in the first few inches following impact or don't expand at all; it's not a gradual process, expanding more and more as the bullet travels deeper. More of a now (impact) or never (failed to expand) event.
    What actually happens is the extra speed will make them "over-expand", the "pedals" will actually fold almost all the way over on some bullets, making the diameter smaller.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

I load my own for the 10mm. I carry a Glock-29 routinley when going into the swamp. I have killed ALOT of wild hogs with this pistol. They weigh typically between 120 to over 200 lbs on the hoof. The bullet i chose to use for my load is the Hornady 155 gn XTP. It provides supereb accuracy and the perfomance on said critters is as advertised. As a side note, i got my load info for this round from Mike Mcnett a few years ago, and it was spot on. Heck of a nice guy. So if i was to buy a factory load it would be from DT, because i know they already make it.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

I vote for the Winchester SilverTips also when I carry my G29SF.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links