.40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points - Page 2

.40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points

This is a discussion on .40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There was also a guy that survived a .45-70 , but he was dang lucky. Also .45-70 is used to hunt buffalo.... So it's placement ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    There was also a guy that survived a .45-70 , but he was dang lucky. Also .45-70 is used to hunt buffalo....
    So it's placement placement, placement. Still the more powerful rounds cut you more slack.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I heard about some guy getting killed by a .22 LR. . .

I'll take the 10 over the 40 any day (and I do). The same shooter will have the same shot placement, so why not go for the best round to put there?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'll take the 10 over the 40 any day (and I do). The same shooter will have the same shot placement, so why not go for the best round to put there?
    Cost?

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Cost?
    Factory ammo is a big cost difference between the two. To reload them it costs me about 2 cents more a round for 10mm over .40S&W.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

I'll buy that, but you hear a lot of people who should know tell you that you shouldn't use rollies for SD, for legal reasons after the fact. And almost anyone will tell you that you should run 200-1000 rounds of your chosen defense ammo though your carry gun.

Disclaimer: I'm going to buy a custom 10mm build with my tax return, but my daily carry is a .40 s&w XD Service.

I buy new 10mm ammo from a manufacturer at the same cost as .40 in walmart. If cost is a factor, most guns can easily be set up with a conversion barrel to shoot .40 for practice then back to the 10mm for carry. I'd run a few mags of 10mm afterwords to refresh my recoil memory. As mentioned before, if you have the room and time to reload, the cost is virtually the same.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon10mm View Post
    I was interested in getting the glock 29 for concealed carry with the intent to cartridge 10mm HP's. After seeing testimony and proof of a guy getting his arm blown off with a single .40 hollow point, I'm wondering if 10mm hollow points are overkill. This mans arm was hanging by a single ligament, which is essentially severed.

That story is nothing. Have you not heard the story being circulated on the Internet that a TSA Agent was able to blow the entire head of a Grizzly Bear off, completely decapitating the monster, with a single bullet from a 10mm auto??

Now tell me, which pistol do you want? The one that can blow a mere man's arm off, or one that can blow a Grizzly Bear's head off??

Here is a link to one of the reports about this story:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/...t-1287677.html

Since this is being spread all over the Internet, the story clearly must be true, just like yours is.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    That story is nothing. Have you not heard the story being circulated on the Internet that a TSA Agent was able to blow the entire head of a Grizzly Bear off, completely decapitating the monster, with a single bullet from a 10mm auto??

Now tell me, which pistol do you want? The one that can blow a mere man's arm off, or one that can blow a Grizzly Bear's head off??

Here is a link to one of the reports about this story:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/...t-1287677.html

Since this is being spread all over the Internet, the story clearly must be true, just like yours is.

In OPs defense, it's possible with a very lucky shot to partially remove someone's arm. It's not likely, and you could never pull it off on purpose, but the Gold Dot 165 gr has 484 ft-lbs of energy at muzzle. That's a lot of force for a 4/10ths inch frontal area. If you managed to cut a hole in the muscle toward one end, and hit the bone just right, it could sever enough of the tissue to turn that arm into a flapping mess.

Of course, you just wasted a perfectly good set of luck that would have been better served on a lottery ticket, but it's possible. Just not on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    Most factory 10mm ammo is crap these days.

The typical 180gr out of a .40S&W is moving around 1000FPS.

10mm auto is capable of pushing a 180gr bullet at 1350FPS+.
    I don't want super-fast versions of the same round I have in .40. . . I want a 10mm so I can push a way heavier bullet at about the same velocity :)

I carry Gold Dot 165gr in my .40, Speer says that runs about 1150 FPS in my 4", tho I've never chrono'd it. I'm really liking that DT stuff that pushes 230gr hardcast at 1120. They're measuring out of a 4.6", I'm getting a 6", so I might have to bust out the chrono for that. . .

Cost?
    Ditto. Cost and availability(grains) as well.
    One more step and it's on!

10 mm is the same as 40 cal in steroids

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    10 mm is the same as 40 cal in steroids
    Nah. . . 40 cal is 10mm in the morning before it's had coffee.

Nah. . . 40 cal is 10mm in the morning before it's had coffee.
    before the coffee and the redbull
    10 mm is the perfect round

10mm all the way. I carry the above 29 every day. The beauty of the 10 is the versatility of the bullet weights/ammo choices that you can use. For example I can go from a 125g Barnes HP (Doubletap load) @ 1501 fps out of that short barrel, (1600fps out of a Glock 20) to a 230g hardcast tip at 1130 fps for woods protection or against a hardened target. In between these you have 10-11 other bullet weights. I currently carry in my 29 Doubletap's 230g ammo which is two shots in one. It is a 135g HP over a 95g lead ball. The two shots hit approx .5" apart at 10 yards. Beat that .45! The energy from the 10mm is higher than most other calibers out there. Stay away from the 40 Short and Weak.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links