.40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points - Page 3

.40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points

This is a discussion on .40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=435 125g http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=158 230g Hardcast Equalizer Rounds - http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...products_id=42 Gotta love case capacity!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points

If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I like both. I carry the 10mm mainly in winter, and the .40 S&W mostly in summer.

The 10mm has much more energy than the 40s&w but shot placement is the key.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Thats why I bought a Glock 30 and got a conversion kit for 10MM. I can shoot the thousands of .45 rounds on the cheap and make it 10mm for the daily carry.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I would get a 10mm anyday.I don't care for the 40 S&W round.As to shot placment, The first shot is all you need for the 10mm.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon10mm View Post
    I was interested in getting the glock 29 for concealed carry with the intent to cartridge 10mm HP's. After seeing testimony and proof of a guy getting his arm blown off with a single .40 hollow point, I'm wondering if 10mm hollow points are overkill. This mans arm was hanging by a single ligament, which is essentially severed.

My question is if any standard .40 HP bullet will indefinately put someone down 100% of the time. If not I'm assuming a 10mm HP of any load should do the job.

While I do not wan't to literally blow someones body apart, I'de rather have that be the case, than the target still posing a threat, if I ever have to use the weapon in self defence.
    Are you serious?? Please share with us this "testimony" and "proof of a guy getting his arm blown off with a single .40 hollow point". I'm not buying it. There is no guaranteed "single stop shot" from a handgun (.50 BMG--yes, but that's a rifle). Are you new to guns? Because this sounds like internet fallacy...with no basis in fact.

Otherwise, you sound like a troll looking for something--I have no idea what that is.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You need Little Boy and Fat Man for 100% stopping power. However, since that's rather impractical, I would advise you to go with the 10mm. You could roll your own and start with .40S&W power and recoil levels, and move all the way up to the real 10mm stuff if you desire.

By real 10mm stuff I mean a 180gr. projectile going at about 1350fps give or take. If you don't reload and would like to get your hands on some of the real stuff, I recommend Swamp Fox, since Buffalo Bore's hollow points are actually nothing but FMJ's in desguise (cheap Montana Gold bullets, which don't expand and are designed for range practice).

Double Tap Ammo all the way!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Hey Robocop lost his arm to a 12 gauge shotgun round. Does that help?
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member
    For what it is worth:
    I've shot water jugs with both .40 & 10mm HP's-----the .40 is ho Hum the 10mm makes a big splash.
    bullet construction or difference in velocity----who knows.
    I lean toward the 10mm being better; though if you shoot well----maybe it doesn't matter unless it is a big critter.

As far as defensive calibers go, I don't care which caliber can "blow an arm off."

My concern is whether it hits point-of-aim easily every time, to do the most damage to the central nervous/cardio/pulmonary systems in an attempt to stop the threat.

Effectively shooting the BG with three well-placed and quickly timed shots will do more to stop the threat than say ten rounds poorly placed over an extended period of time.

One-shot-man-stopper? Sure, from my Phaser.
    Last edited by RemMod597; April 7th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

There is validity in what your saying Jon.

When I was in W. Mosul, as a MiTT embed w/an Iraqi Infantry Battalion (05-06), several of our guys were murdered. Not an uncommon occurance. They were targeted several blocks from the COP. They were shot w/a 9mm (glock striker, probably a Glock 19 sold by or taken from an IP), Federal brass (115gr FMJ Federal Red Box was what the IPs were issued). One of the victims appeared to have tried to block the shot w/his forearm. There was not much left keeping the portion of the arm below the entry wound attached.

Perhaps, not your intent defending yourself w/a handgun. But, a .40 S&W or a 10mm would have the potential to do the same.

Good shooting
    Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    No handgun round has 100% stopping power, no matter what magazine you read it in.
    Are you telling me that Dirty Harry overrated his largest most powerful handgun in the world?

Jon

Then, there was LTC Kurilla getting shot, w/a glock 19; probably the same 115gr Federal FMJ.

Snapped his femur & dropped him like a sack of taters.

Gates of Fire | Michael's Dispatches

Not a happy ending for the insurgent. But, on the topic of handguns causing damage & creating an effect. They do have the potential to do damage.

Good shooting
    Sua Sponte

I am just not a fan of .40SW. I think it fixed a problem that didn't exist. No handgun roung is a 100% man stopper. As to the .40, I have met no fewer than 4 people that were shot with several rounds of .40 and survived. Some of them had horrible damage, but they lived. I feel if you think 10mm it too much, and you don't want a .45, then just stick with 9mm. With good +P ammo it dosen't give up much to the .40, and it is easier to shoot. Cheaper too. Just my thoughts, flame away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links