.40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points

This is a discussion on .40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was interested in getting the glock 29 for concealed carry with the intent to cartridge 10mm HP's. After seeing testimony and proof of a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points

.40 or 10mm? - Hollow Points

I was interested in getting the glock 29 for concealed carry with the intent to cartridge 10mm HP's. After seeing testimony and proof of a guy getting his arm blown off with a single .40 hollow point, I'm wondering if 10mm hollow points are overkill. This mans arm was hanging by a single ligament, which is essentially severed.

My question is if any standard .40 HP bullet will indefinately put someone down 100% of the time. If not I'm assuming a 10mm HP of any load should do the job.

While I do not wan't to literally blow someones body apart, I'de rather have that be the case, than the target still posing a threat, if I ever have to use the weapon in self defence.

2. Remove Ads

huh? 100% stopping power? blowing arms off? Is this a troll?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I don't know. lets ask him.

The .40 is a great all around round. The 10mm is great to. You just need to ask yourself what fits you best, what will it most likely be used for etc. You will get tons of guys that say go with the .40, or go with the 10mm...

Shot placement is what matters. if you can't hit your target, you could be shooting a tank it won't stop the threat.

Shoot and carry what you can shoot most accurately.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I'm not trying to troll.

I mean 100% stopping power in regards to hitting someone in their chest/torso. I'm just trying to get a guage on how destructive a HP round is from someone who has experience, rather than someone who has seen a bunch of ballistic gel videos.

A limb comming off from a HP round likely won't occur but again, I'm just trying to guage HP rounds as I have no experience with hand guns, or hollow point rounds.

No handgun round has 100% stopping power, no matter what magazine you read it in.

I could see a .40 or bigger doing that kind of thing to an arm if the shot hits the bone just right, but I wouldn't expect it to be easy to do. I think that you need to keep in mind that a bullet is generally less than a half inch in diameter, and weight is measured in units of 1/7000th of a pound, and the average human is 60 inches or taller, and weighs over 150 lbs. "Stopping power" comes with a carefully placed shot in a vital area, no matter how much power is behind it.

Even a .50 BMG doesn't guarantee a stop without an explosive round, but the odds are sure better :-D

Must of been some .40 HP round. A 40mm HEDP can do that though.

No handgun round offers 100% stopping power. In fact, most rifle rounds I have seen (including 5.56NATO, 7.62x39, 7.62x51NATO) don't literally blow someone to pieces when they hit a person, and a lot of times it takes multiple rifle hits to get the target to go down.

Just choose a round in any of the service calibers you shoot accurately and that feeds reliably in your pistol. If you do your job, the round will do its job too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Must of been some .40 HP round. A 40mm HEDP can do that though.

No handgun round offers 100% stopping power. In fact, most rifle rounds I have seen (including 5.56NATO, 7.62x39, 7.62x51NATO) don't literally blow someone to pieces when they hit a person, and a lot of times it takes multiple rifle hits to get the target to go down.

Just choose a round in any of the service calibers you shoot accurately and that feeds reliably in your pistol. If you do your job, the round will do its job too.
    +1 The only guarantee in life is death and taxes. Shot placement and a good SD round is the best you can hope for.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

As others have said, no handgun round has near 100% one shot stopping power. The 40 caliber is a good round, there are those that prefer the bigger heavier 45 caliber, and those that prefer the higher kinetic energy of the .357 magnum or .357 Sig. The 10mm has a very high kinetic energy, and a larger diameter than the infamous .357. As far as being concerned about blowing off the arm of a threat to your life, if I am in fear for my life, I really don't care what it takes to save my life. When I showed my mother the difference between water jugs shot with round nose and hollowpoint ammo, she said "Would you really want to do that much damage to someone?"I told her "If someone has made the decision to attack me, any consequences he suffers is his problem, not mine."
    There is some concern with availability and cost of the 10mm ammo, especially the cost involved in getting regular range practice. As has been said placement matters more than caliber. A hit with a 22LR is better than a miss with a 50 BMG.
    Buy a gun you can shoot well, that leaves you enough budget for training classes and practice ammo and practice all you can.
    Welcome to the forums.

There are an awful lot of stories where the 40 caliber round fired by police took numerous hits to bring the suspect down.Shot placement matters,you also wanta provide a round that causes lots of damage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    .40 shooting an arm off?? I highly doubt it but I wasn't there. Let me just say this - When crap happens and you butt is on the line there is no such thing as overkill!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

look up the stats on 10mm and 40 ammo in the same bullet weight.... the difference is speeds is often 100 to 150fps.... that aint much...

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    look up the stats on 10mm and 40 ammo in the same bullet weight.... the difference is speeds is often 100 to 150fps.... that aint much...
    Most factory 10mm ammo is crap these days.

The typical 180gr out of a .40S&W is moving around 1000FPS.

10mm auto is capable of pushing a 180gr bullet at 1350FPS+.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Theres a story where a guy took 10 rounds of quality .40 cal hp from a cops gun and still lived. Nothing is perfect. I am going to find that story.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links