5.56/.223 penetration through brush?

This is a discussion on 5.56/.223 penetration through brush? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet I don't think "keyholing" is ever a good thing, and it certainly doesn't do much for accuracy. Much of the earlier ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5.56/.223 penetration through brush?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't think "keyholing" is ever a good thing, and it certainly doesn't do much for accuracy. Much of the earlier M-16 keyholing lore was the result of mismatched bullet weight and rifling rate, and it still goes on today as evidenced by the various rifling rates offered in the ARs.

My experience with the .223 was in Wa St plinking rockchucks with 55 grn BTSPs. I once shot a coyote in the back of the head at about thirty yards as it ran away. The bullet disintegrated inside the skull and never exited. That turned me off as to using the cartridge for deer. It would definitely need a heavier bullet than what I loaded.
    You must have been using those fancy sunshine state .223's because I have seen many a coyote that have dropped like a rock with .223 up here.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The 336 should do you just fine as a brush gun. What kind of scope did it come with? I have a Bushnell 3x9 on mine, that is on there only because I got the scope for free, and needed somewhere to put it. I never really use it at anything but low power at the ranges a .30-30 really excels at.
    The scope just says "Marlin" on it, and judging by the poor English on the scope's instruction booklet, I'd say it was made in China - despite the "Made in USA" emblazoned on the rifle's box.

Given that the whole package deal was less than $500, I wasn't expecting a great scope, but it seems fine for the task. It's a variable 3-9 X, 32 mm unit. I agree on keeping it set to low power - I can't see past 200 yards anywhere around here anyway.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I'm having a hard time finding anything talking about the manufacture of that scope. I still have the package deal 3-9 that came on my Savage .308 on it, it does ok, but not great.

One option for you to look at if you want to upgrade the scope, is the new Redfield line of scopes, manufactured by Leupold. I put their new production 4x12 on one of my rifles, and for the price, I have been impressed with it, and it is made in the U.S. I don't think there is a scope in that line over $300, and mine hasn't had a problem yet with recoil from a .308.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Ma Duce. Cover is irrelevant.
    I like the way you think!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You must have been using those fancy sunshine state .223's because I have seen many a coyote that have dropped like a rock with .223 up here.
    I don't believe that OldVet ever implied that the Coyote he shot in the back of the head did not drop like a rock. Check his post again.

Here's where "facts" are questionable.
    On another site people had proof that a .223 bullet does not penetrate drywall very well because it disintegrates.
    Now, you're telling me that a .223/.556 will cut through brush without disintegrating? (and wooden dowels)

I guess it's just a "magic" bullet.

There are many, many different types of 5.56 and .223 bullets. They can have vastly different performance, depending on the target type, the barrel length, the twist rate of the barrel, etc.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    There are many, many different types of 5.56 and .223 bullets. They can have vastly different performance, depending on the target type, the barrel length, the twist rate of the barrel, etc.
    I agree.
    So when someone posts and says, that it is "Easily provable that a shotgun or .45 handgun will penetrate more than a .223 in drywall", they are omitting, "If you select the bullets that make my statement hold water."

.....and they could show that a .223 doesn't penetrate brush very well at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links