124Gr. vs 124Gr. +P

124Gr. vs 124Gr. +P

This is a discussion on 124Gr. vs 124Gr. +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry Remington Golden Saber 124Gr+P in my 9mms. Unfortunately my local shop only carries the regular pressure, non+P version of this ammo. According ...

Thread: 124Gr. vs 124Gr. +P

124Gr. vs 124Gr. +P

I usually carry Remington Golden Saber 124Gr+P in my 9mms. Unfortunately my local shop only carries the regular pressure, non+P version of this ammo. According to the Remington website, there is less than 100fps difference and less than 50lbs of energy difference between the two. That being said, the +P round probably has a little better penetration. It is worth it to buy the +P stuff online or should I just buy the standard pressure. I started buying the +P since it was usually the same price, but I'm now thinking there isn't much of a difference. Do you guys carry +P or standard pressure ammo for defense?

matt,

i have several 9mm's.....a glock and couple berettas......i usually load up +P for defense in my glock but shoot standard loads in the beretta......

i could live with the standard loads in my glock also.....i really dont think there is that much of a difference in performance, especially given todays advanced hollow point designs

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    For 9mm I load Federal's 9mm +P 124 gr HST ammo, which is rated at an even 1,200 fps, which is only 20 fps more than your Golden Saber +P load.

You can buy hotter +P ammo if you want more power. Corbon has a 9mm +P 125 gr JHP load that is rated at 1,250 fps. Double Tap Ammo has a 9mm +P 124 gr JHP load that gives an even 1,300 fps.

The Double Tap 124 grain at 1300 fps is what I will be using in my g17. I am waiting on it to arrive anyday. On the other end of the scale, I like the +p 147 grain Golden Sabers too, and carry them in my g26.

In my Glocks it's Gold Dot or Golden Saber and in my Hi-Power it's Federal 9BP. I use standard velocity rounds with heavy for caliber bullets except in the HP. As I get older I have become a little more recoil sensitive and I want controled followup shots.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I use 124 grain standard pressure Golden Sabres in my G19 as my regular carry load. I've shot some +P ammo through my gun, but honestly don't really worry too much about it. I use the standard pressure stuff because I can buy it locally. I'm sure the +P version is a little more powerful, but if I was really that worried about it I'd start carrying around a .357 Mag. Which isn't a bad idea, I just don't have one...yet.

Nothing wrong with the Golden Sabers IMO... Regular strength, or otherwise. I've depended on the Speer GDHP 124gr+P for years since I work with them well(9mm). Granted....I may have been doing this for ten years before you even thought about it. Love my Golden Sabers in 45ACP.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I use the standard pressure rounds, as I can't find +p practice ammo. I want the gun to react the same every time I shoot it. Not to mention the +p has got to be more wear and tear on gun and shooter.

kpw
    Carrying with +P ammo is fine as long as you shoot enough of it to ensure reliable functioning. It's also good to note any POI changes from your standard practice ammo. My choice for years has been the 124 +P Gold Dot. It's generally easy to find, has a good record and I usually find the best deals on it. I'll usually shoot 300-500 rounds a year of the stuff through my carry guns. It ain't cheap but I know where it hits and I know it's reliable in my guns. I wish I could afford to shoot more of it, as it's one of the more accurate loads I've shot in numerous pistols, but I have to settle for a few mags worth a month. As for performance, it may only offer a slight advantage if any, over standard pressure stuff but I'll take any advantage I can get if the positives outweigh the negatives. For me, it does.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

allways shoot the fastes hardest hitting round you can shoot accuraty and fast...

general rule

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Here is a bullet recovered from being shot into plastic jugs filled with water using Federal's 9mm 124 gr +P HST Law Enforcement load.

This looks pretty dog-gone impressive to me:

If you go with Golden Sabres, I would get their standard hollowpoint, and not the new Bonded version of their ammo, which is designed for Law Enforcement. While the Bonded Golden Sabre ammo offers very deep penetration, some tests have show its expansion to be very erratic.

Here is a bullet from a Golden Sabre Bonded Law Enforcement 9mm 124 gr +P load that was also fired into a row of water filled plastic jugs and recovered:

40sw gold dot that hit a ground hog and i dug out of the dirt

40 corbon barns DPX another groundhog hit

CMR
    I personally don't want to get hit with standard or +P stuff!!!!
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Links