.357 Magnum or .38 For Home and Street????

This is a discussion on .357 Magnum or .38 For Home and Street???? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shockwave Explain how they are "grossly twisted." I take exception to your remark. Then again, I'm not an LEO fetishist and I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .357 Magnum or .38 For Home and Street????

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Explain how they are "grossly twisted." I take exception to your remark.

Then again, I'm not an LEO fetishist and I don't think they are very well trained (on the whole). Every now and then you run across a cop who actually does train, but most don't. They do their annual qualifiers and that's about it. The majority of them are less trained and less capable than the enthusiast.

That isn't a dig at them, it's just an observation of fact. Marksmanship is something you have to work at, and most cops don't do that. Some do. Most don't. They've told us that themselves.
    Better yet, explain where you get them, and how they are derived. Just like in journalism, there are half truths here. Marksmenship is a term with what meaning? Does it mean you can punch holes in small groups in targets on the range while you sip your coffee? Or, be able to hit the humanoid target after running several blocks and having a high heart rate and adrenaline dump going on, when you know your ass is really in trouble?

We have all seen statistics used by the Brady bunch and others to support what they want people to believe. You can take exception to it all day long, but it doesnt change the facts that you cannot compare civilian self defense shootings to LE shootings.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    it doesnt change the facts that you cannot compare civilian self defense shootings to LE shootings.
    No. You are wrong.

I can compare civilian self-defense shootings with police shootings. The stats show that cops, on average, in LA, hit about 20 percent of the time (slightly less, actually).

Citizen shooters have a better record, with CCW owners hitting about 70 percent of the time. I don't have stats for non-CCW owners. The rest of your thoughts, vis-a-vis cops and civilians having different threat profiles and such is pure conjecture on your part and I sweep it off the table as irrelevant. The only metric we're talking about is accuracy.

Also, I call bunkum on your characterization of weekend/armchair what-have-you. You don't know jack squat what I do or what the people I train with do. You don't know anything. You're just imagining something in your head that isn't good and then dumping that. Weak sauce.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I have both, .357 wheel gun and a 9mm 15 shot semi auto. I carry the wheel more than the semi, the reason is I am a better shot with the .357 than the 9mm. I have had it for over 30 years and there is no telling how many rounds have gone down range from it. The 9mm I have had a couple of years, getting better but not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    No. You are wrong.

I can compare civilian self-defense shootings with police shootings. The stats show that cops, on average, in LA, hit about 20 percent of the time (slightly less, actually).

Citizen shooters have a better record, with CCW owners hitting about 70 percent of the time. I don't have stats for non-CCW owners. The rest of your thoughts, vis-a-vis cops and civilians having different threat profiles and such is pure conjecture on your part and I sweep it off the table as irrelevant. The only metric we're talking about is accuracy.

Also, I call bunkum on your characterization of weekend/armchair what-have-you. You don't know jack squat what I do or what the people I train with do. You don't know anything. You're just imagining something in your head that isn't good and then dumping that. Weak sauce.
    The reporting of various information is intself flawed. The hit ratio reported has different meanings from one agency to another. It doesnt take into acount a struggle between officer and the perp .
    As a matter of fact, in 2006 NYC reported a 46% hit rate of shootings between 0 and 6 feet. The number of misses demonstrates the tense and unpredictable things that can happen , or have probably already happened.

You can say what you want about me not knowing jack-squat, as you say. But I know what I do everyday for a living, and have actually been there and done it, not write about what statistics say. So I guess we will just have to disagree.

Actually, you cant really just sweep anything off the table or dismiss it without considering or at least investigating the facts, that would be too typical of printed mistruths today.

So can someone explain to me from the ground up why a 357, 38, and 9 mm shoot so differently?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    So can someone explain to me from the ground up why a 357, 38, and 9 mm shoot so differently?
    A simple study of physics might help you more than someone's opinion on such a question. Caliber performance is really not "rocket surgery".

With an excellent .357 revolver like the SP101, you have tons of choices in ammo.

Experiment with several varieties and pick the one that you and your gun handle best. Doesn't matter if it's .38 or .357.

You should be equally, but not overly, concerned about over penetration.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I train using both .38 special and .357 magnums in my Model 28. This is also my "house gun" for when things go bump in the night. It is loaded with the 'FBI Load", 158 grain .38 special +p LSWCHP. It is very accurate and very comfortable to shoot. I don't feel under gunned with this load by any means. I imagine in doors the flash bang would still be severe but not as bad as .357 magnum. I do have Remington Golden Sabre, .357 mag 125 JHP in the speed loaders. Really, take the time to try different loads and see what works best for you.

My situation consisted of a Browning Hi-Power with 13+1.... two individuals, two shots fired into first one, the other ran. That being said I went from 13+1 BHP to 8+1 1911 to 17+1 G17 to 10+1 / 15+1 G29 to 5+0 .357 over the past 20+ years ...... I do not feel undergunned

I also practice on the move and at night with low light and no light, I have practiced with no hearing protection a couple times and I did not go deaf nor blind at night and was still able to stay on target with the .357

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    I would never consider a wheel gun for self defense because the average joe will miss the target 80% of the time when under stress.

If you have a "six shooter" (regardless if its a 22 or a 500 ) your chances of hitting the bad guy are slim vs. a semi auto with 15+ rounds.

Plus, a .357 makes a big flash. At night that will effect your vision.
    That just means you can miss your target more and faster with an auto loader. If you are missing 80% of the time you might want to spend more time at the range.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links