.357 Magnum or .38 For Home and Street????

This is a discussion on .357 Magnum or .38 For Home and Street???? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, So I've been on Google and read a thousand different opinions. Maybe you can help me sort it out. Knowing that 357 is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum or .38 For Home and Street????

.357 Magnum or .38 For Home and Street????

Hi all,

So I've been on Google and read a thousand different opinions. Maybe you can help me sort it out. Knowing that 357 is a lot louder, more kick etc i'm wondering if I should carry and keep at home 357 or 38. Either with really good JHP ammo of course. Concerned about wall and/or bystander penetration. I have a Ruger SP101 2.25 should I even consider 357??? (not interested in 12 gauge shot gun in case you suggest that) thanks

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Hi all,

So I've been on Google and read a thousand different opinions. Maybe you can help me sort it out. Knowing that 357 is a lot louder, more kick etc i'm wondering if I should carry and keep at home 357 or 38. Either with really good JHP ammo of course. Concerned about wall and/or bystander penetration. I have a Ruger SP101 2.25 should I even consider 357??? (not interested in 12 gauge shot gun in case you suggest that) thanks
    That doesn't stop anyone from carrying a 45 ACP or even 10mm. If you want to carry .357, go for it. There are plenty of other rounds that can penetrate just as much. You never know what conditions you may have to shoot in, and shot placement is important no matter which caliber you are carrying.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think you should go with .357 Magnum since it has better stopping power than the .38 special caliber and it also has the versatility of being able to shoot both calibers out of the same gun. If you already have a Ruger SP-101 with 2.25" barrel then you have a perfect gun for concealed carry and home defense. Just make sure you get some speed loaders or speed strips which can come in handy if you need to do a quick reload in a defensive situation.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

That depends on several things.
    How well do you shoot .357 loads in that weapon?
    How fast can you accurately shoot .357 loads in that weapon?
    Do you believe that with the loss due to the short barrel .357 loads still provide a significant advantage?
    Answering these questions should provide your answer.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

.357 gives you a little more versatility. You can always load .38 spec in a .357, yet if you decide to bump up to the hotter rounds, you won't need to buy another gun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I realize that whatever I use I have to shoot it well. Distance accuracy? I don't know, studies show that in home and even street civilian will be a very close fight if it has to happen. I guess my question is, if using really good ammo, which of these calibers is less likely to go through walls and/or bystander???

If you miss... none of them are less likely, ever run and gun before while being attacked? I would focus more on FOF and active training than caliber if your biggest concern is that. That is just my .02

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    I guess my question is, if using really good ammo, which of these calibers is less likely to go through walls and/or bystander???
    The answer to your question is the 38. That's a no brainer, it has less powder. It doesn't mean either that a 38 won't go through a wall or exit a human body.

.38 spl is cheaper, has less recoil, still a great round...Personally when I carry the SP101 I carry .357 but I shoot it well. However, I would not hesitate or feel under gunned with .38 +p. I often carry a .38 colt and feel just as safe. You can't go wrong with either, seriously.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

TCT
    I would never consider a wheel gun for self defense because the average joe will miss the target 80% of the time when under stress.

If you have a "six shooter" (regardless if its a 22 or a 500 ) your chances of hitting the bad guy are slim vs. a semi auto with 15+ rounds.

Plus, a .357 makes a big flash. At night that will effect your vision.

Just gotta ask: What defines "the average joe" and where does this 80% originate?

I generally carry a .38 Special revolver and my chances of hitting are much elevated from slim. Fifteen+ rounds won't make the user more accurate.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

An "average Joe" without training and practice will probably miss, no matter what you give him.

I guess with a semi-auto with 15+ rounds means he can miss with 9 and still get some hits.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    I would never consider a wheel gun for self defense because the average joe will miss the target 80% of the time when under stress.
    That's a bold statement my man, can we get a fact check? Personally I shoot a wheel gun much better than a semi, been carry one for over 10 years it's what I'm comfortable with. You know the saying "I'd rather have 6 fore sure than 15 maybe" Nothing wrong with a semi I carry one from time to time but don't hate on what you don't understand.

Not saying I'm a marksman and would hit with those 6 but I wouldn't want 15 flying in all directions destroying who knows what.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    An "average Joe" without training and practice will probably miss, no matter what you give him.

I guess with a semi-auto with 15+ rounds means he can miss with 9 and still get some hits.
    that means 9 rounds flying into, and penetrating into who knows what!?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Being that shot placement is king, I'd say either or would be fine with the proper ammo selection. For giggles I'd opt for the .357 in a 3" configuration though.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links