Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why? - Page 3

Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why?

This is a discussion on Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy @jwhite. I know this sounds silly but I buy what's cheap. As long as it says 00 buck and it's a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    @jwhite. I know this sounds silly but I buy what's cheap. As long as it says 00 buck and it's a name brand I will buy it. I don't plan on using my shotgun outside my home so any shot I have is going to be less than twenty yards. At ten yards all the major brands put massive holes in my targets.

Don't over think it. Buck shot is a crusher. Any of the major names will be fine.
    That's really what I have been saying. I just tend to stick with the Remington Green Box 00 and Brennke slugs, its usually a couple bucks for a box of 5. I see other loads that get a lot more expensive, I don't think I am missing out. I mean, shotguns in some form have been around for hundreds of years (if you include grape shot in cannons, and the blunderbuss), the formula is pretty simple, use enough powder to get multiple projectiles out there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

They didnthave any 12 gauge slugs in stock. They have been known on occasion ot have the new Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite with the slug and 00 buck combo. Ill probably just fund a good slug when they get them back in and buy those.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Did you shoot the 00 buck yet? How'd that feel?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I prefer #8 shot.

Will blow a 5" hole in an oak door at 12 feet... or a attacker.

At 100 feet, will send him to HOURS of "picking" in the ER.

Either way, I get my satisfaction.
    And I get it without worrying about the neighbor or her cats from over penetration.

For my Stoger Coach Gun?...just 00 buck
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use Win. Ranger low-recoil 00 buck; for slugs, though...cheaper is gooder. Slugs are usually super cheap after deer season around here, and I'll pick up Federal Sluggers, Remington, Winchester, Wolf (aka Brenneke)...usually for $2-3 per box.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have two 12ga's. My "bedroom shotgun" is a Mossberg 500 and is loaded with #4 buck. My gun safe shotgun is a Benelli Super 90 loaded with plain old Remington 00 buck. The reasoning behind my set up is that the Mossberg is going to be the gun I go for in the middle of the night where the penetration factor of shooting in doors is a big concern. Since it would more than likely be a close encounter I don't think the #4 vs. 00 would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Did you shoot the 00 buck yet? How'd that feel?
    I have not. As the gun was a GB purchase, The Postal Service (delivering funds) and the UPS (delivering gun) is making me wait in agony. The gun is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. UGH. Cant wait to put some lead downrange.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Sorry, but you're incorrect:

I've got it in 20ga too, just don't feel like digging it out of the ammo cans.

OK, I obviously stand corrected. It must have really flopped on the market, as I never saw it advertised or available anywhere. If they had done the load with BB shot instead, perhaps it would have succeeded.

The ammo has not been manufactured recently, and is discontinued and no longer available. So it is sort of irrelevant to bring up when it comes to recommending defensive ammo to JWhite75.

Federal has since changed their Personal Defense product packaging to a totally new look:

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marionmedic View Post
    I prefer #8 shot.

Will blow a 5" hole in an oak door at 12 feet... or a attacker.

At 100 feet, will send him to HOURS of "picking" in the ER.

Either way, I get my satisfaction.
    And I get it without worrying about the neighbor or her cats from over penetration.

I've had #8 shot fail to break clay pigeon targets numerous times.

Because of that, I only use #8 for close targets, and use 7 1/2 shot for longer clay targets.

My 500 is fully loaded with #1 Buck with 6 rounds of 00 Buck on the side. Both pattern very nicely at the 20-ft distance.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Well It is just me and my wife and I in a small house. My ingress and egress points are on the opposite end from our bed room. If I am armed with my 870 and 5-7 rounds of 00 buck I will be shooting an opposite direction from her, and if they get by me with that and my sidearm, shooting throught walls facing away from her are the least of my worries. My hallway is a great choke point for intruders. If it cant be defended by me with a 12 ga and a .40 then I need to surrender. I will probably go with 00 buck in the gun and a few slugs on the side saddle or butt stock. Found some decent looking cheap bandoleers to sling over the bed post, so I may put a hodge podge of different stuuf on them incase we get overrun with zombies.

Mossy 500-load 12 pellet 00 magnum. No kids, no neighbors. Works for me.

My 870 is kept loaded with 2-3/4" magnum 12-gauge 1-1/4 oz. BB-shot. Approx. 65 lead balls of .177 caliber (4.5 mm) at around 1100 FPS.

From one end of the house to the other end, I doubt that any recipient will know the difference between BB-shot, buckshot, or slugs. But I know that these loads are unlikely to penetrate multiple walls, travel great distances, and cause injury far away.

Buckshot and slugs are fine, out in the woods and open country. Residential areas require additional precautions.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links