Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why?

This is a discussion on Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought myself an 870. 18" barrel with 7+1 extension. Been looking at the new Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite with 3 00 Buck and a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite HD/PD ammo for 18" 12 ga shotgun, and why?

Just bought myself an 870. 18" barrel with 7+1 extension. Been looking at the new Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite with 3 00 Buck and a 1 oz slug. Always just bought field ammo for my shotguns, as that was what i used a shotgun for. This is my first defense shotgun, and I just need some guidance on what to look for in ammo so give me some suggestions.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Honestly, I just tend to use the Remington 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot, that comes in the green boxes of 5, for a couple of bucks. And back that up with Brennke K.O. slugs on the stock. I don't really see a need to get much fancier than that. Although the Federal Flight Control rounds look interesting.

Just make sure you pattern whatever load you want to use.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

All my serious ammo is Federal with the "Flite Control" wad. It patterns unbelievably well and the tightness of that pattern is not dependant on the choke of the gun. I can regularly hit a torso sized steel target with all 9 OO pellets at over 40 yards. I don't use a lot of slugs, but the ones I have are Federal "Tru Ball" that shoot extremely well in all of my shotguns, again independant of choke or rifling due to their design.

Except for the Winchester .410 Judge load, which I think is neat from a handgun, I have never cared for mixed slug-buckshot loads.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I was afraid the 12 ga was kind of gimmicky myself, but am a noob on this particular area. Thats why I ask you guys. LOL Want something dependable and proven not just new and cool.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I was afraid the 12 ga was kind of gimmicky myself, but am a noob on this particular area. Thats why I ask you guys. LOL Want something dependable and proven not just new and cool.
    00 Buck is probably what you are looking for then, its been doing the job just fine for a long time. Really any of the buckshot loads should be ok, some people swear by #1 or #4. Just stay away from birdshot, and slugs are more of a specialty use item, for penetrating cover.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

What i was leaning towards was 00 buck didnt know if there was any one brand in particular that seems to give exceptional performance.

I prefer the Remington "green box" of 5, 2 3/4 OO buckshot. My old pump gun seems to shoot it just fine and it is (still) pretty affordable.

I have the Maverick 12 gauge pistol grip/shoulder stock combo. I have a staggered load of 9 pellet 00 BUCK followed by 1oz slugs. Shes fully loaded without one in the chamber with 5 extra rounds in a shoulder stock bullet holder.
    One more step and it's on!

Pattern your shotgun and see what it likes best.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Hevi-Shot Personal Defense T shot. The most controlled recoil I have felt in a defenseive shot gun shell. There may still be a rebate.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but here is a decent explanation of how to pattern a shotgun: http://www.ehow.com/how_4893281_pattern-a-shotgun.html

Figure out how long you think you might need to shoot it, I would figure out the longest shot inside your home, and pattern it for that distance, and half that distance at a minimum. Some spread is good, but obviously you don't want a huge spread.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    This is my first defense shotgun, and I just need some guidance on what to look for in ammo so give me some suggestions.
    Since you purchased a shotgun with a fixed cylinder barrel, I think that your only good option here is to look at the Federal loads that use their famous FLITECONTROL® wad that so many others have recommended here. That ammo will give you the best odds of your patterns holding up downrange, and not being blown apart, and thus ineffective.

The Federal ammo that you want to specifically look at are their Vital-Shok® with FLITECONTROL® hunting rounds in 00 Buckshot, and also their PREMIUM PERSONAL DEFENSE product line, which is available in both 00 and #4 Buckshot. The Premium Personal Defense also offers lower recoil, compared to the full power Vital-Shok® ammo.

Now if you had asked about what shotgun to buy in the first place, I would have advised getting a gun that accepted choke tubes. But the Federal FLITECONTROL® Wads do have an excellent reputation of patterning well with cylinder choked guns, despite the lack of any choke in the barrel.

I too use the Federal Green Box 2.75 00 buck for my HD setup.

Walmart usually has them in the value packs.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Buy a few different brands of OO and go shoot some paper to see how they pattern and how they cycle in YOUR gun. Most ammo works but only testing will tell what works best for you and your new friend,
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Not trying to insult your intelligence, but here is a decent explanation of how to pattern a shotgun: http://www.ehow.com/how_4893281_pattern-a-shotgun.html

Figure out how long you think you might need to shoot it, I would figure out the longest shot inside your home, and pattern it for that distance, and half that distance at a minimum. Some spread is good, but obviously you don't want a huge spread.
    No you are not insultng my intelligence. I was actually contemplating that very thing last night and what distance to start at. Part of the advantage of having the gun shipped from the other side of the country, is I have time to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Honestly, I just tend to use the Remington 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot, that comes in the green boxes of 5, for a couple of bucks. And back that up with Brennke K.O. slugs on the stock. I don't really see a need to get much fancier than that. Although the Federal Flight Control rounds look interesting.

Just make sure you pattern whatever load you want to use.
    You and many others are recommending the Remington and "Flite Control" Federal, So I will probably try those out, and according to multiple reviews that Brenneke KO slug is GTG. So I may add a few of those to a side saddle or buttstock holder.

Keep any and all suggestions coming.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links