Hydra-Shok is hard to get? May be fazed out?

This is a discussion on Hydra-Shok is hard to get? May be fazed out? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the shooting range tonight and as I was about to leave when I stopped at the counter to pick another box of ...

Thread: Hydra-Shok is hard to get? May be fazed out?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I was at the shooting range tonight and as I was about to leave when I stopped at the counter to pick another box of .40 S&W Hydra-Shok. The guy at the counter looked around and returned with a box of Gold Dots. He said that they were out of Hydra-Shok and that Hydra-Shok had recently been hard to get and that he thought it was being fazed out.

I'm not completely out of ammo so I politely declined the offer of Gold Dots. I'm sure there is nothing wrong Gold Dots but wanted to do a little research on ammo before I buy something other than Hydra-Shok. I originally started to buy Hydra-Shok based on the recommendation from a trusted friend because I do not know anything about ammo.

What has been your experience? Have any of you been having trouble finding Hydra-Shok? I know you can't believe everything you hear at a sales counter, I've been misinformed before. Have you heard that Hydra-Shok is being fazed out?

I'm sure I can find some good info about ammo through Google but to save myself some time in research, are there any trusted sites you know about that I can check out as a means to learn more about ammo in addition to the info I learn through this forum?

Thank you in advance for all of your help & comments.
    DCG

Federal HST is the all the rage lately and many who used to use Hydra-Shok have switched to it...that is if you can find it at all.

Federal still lists the Hydra-Shok in its catalog so it hasn't been phased out as of yet.

As for ammo information, I'll see what I can dig up!
    And this is what I dug up, my go to guide for defensive rounds.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Sleipnir; January 22nd, 2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added a link

Yup, Hydra-shok is old technology so to speak. Federal top of the line SD ammo is HST, and half the price of the Hydra-shok. Do a search in this sub forum and you will get all the comparison info you want. I did some impromptu ballistics between the two and switched over to HST after I saw the difference (got a thread on it + pics)

Ammunitiontogo.com is where I usually get mine. The 180gr is rare but it does show up occasionally. 155gr and 165gr are usually in stock. If you are hard fast on Hydra-shok, they have it in stock.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the help! I will check out the info per your guidance.

In turning down the gold dots you passed up the better choice. Hydra-shoks are outdated and poor performers when compared to modern designs. Shoot up your current supply and get a more modern loading to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    In turning down the gold dots you passed up the better choice. Hydra-shoks are outdated and poor performers when compared to modern designs. Shoot up your current supply and get a more modern loading to replace it.
    'bout says it all right there...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    +1 Hydra-Shoks were also my choice back in the day when first selected by the FBI, but I have since moved on to modern technology and better performing HP's.
    HTH,
    John

Links