Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To me...the price difference is not worth the potential headaches.....I would use brass. Unless you shoot a tremendous number of rounds.....stick with brass...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts?

To me...the price difference is not worth the potential headaches.....I would use brass. Unless you shoot a tremendous number of rounds.....stick with brass
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've tried the Tula ammo in 9 and .45acp, fired in my keltec P11/G26/G17, and in my G21/G30 with no problems
    I've also shot wolf polymer, cci aluminum, and some other off-brand stuff in all these with no problems
    perhaps its a little more dirty than using WWB/Federal from wallyworld, but its cheaper......and I clean my guns after shooting anyway
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

My AR eats the stuff up. No problem. It's a bit dirtier than quality ammo, but all of my toys get the day spa treatment once home from the range.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    It is what it is. It's cheap ammo, it isn't going to hurt your gun, and for the range it's fine.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Gums up my guns much quicker. I figure if steel makes my guns harder to clean, it makes them wear quicker. No more steel for me.

My CZ p01 would chew up and spit out any amount of Tulammo I could give it. My 1911, I don't even try.

just came back from the range (7/29) came here to warn people about this ammo...had 3 boxes of 50 shot went thru 100 rounds and literally 17 of the hundred DIDNT FIRE...pin hit but didnt ignite...i thru the last box of 50 in the trash...never again..hope it helps

The 45 works well. I've shot probably around 250 rounds of the stuff through my XD45. No failures.

The 9 was another story. Had about 3 failure to fires in my CM9, but they did fire the second time around. Every other ammo I use with my CM9 fires fine, so I'm not sure what happened there. It's only a buck or two cheaper than the Federal Champion in 9mm anyway, so you don't gain much by buying Tul in 9. You do save more with Tul in 45.

Underpowered as hell, but works fine is less finicky firearms.

For instance, my bushmaster DCM A2 experiences about a 60 short strokes per box of 100. However the same ammo in my Sig 556 patrol had no jams of any sort during a shooting clinic (approx.750 rounds)

I own two 1911's and they both handle the ammo differently; my colt series 70 had about 15 fte's per 250 rounds. My Auto ordnance series 80 pkz experienced none.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

I tried the 9mm, wouldn't feed in my PX4 Storm.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I bought 3 boxes of TulAmmo .40S&W a few months ago. Generally, I avoid steel cases because it's prone to jamming... sure enough, before I finished the 3rd box, my M&P had extraction failure after nearly every other round. After 2000+ rounds, it's the only time this has ever happened, and I've shot many brands of many different qualities. Brass ammo is self-lubricating, doesn't expand as much as steel does (hence the extraction failure), and actually helps remove soot from the breech. Steel has no upsides.

I don't shoot steel-cased ammo anymore. Plus Russian ammo is DIRTY, powder burns slower, and seems to have terrible performance that's nowhere indicative of American-made brass. It's practically worthless, even for the range- unless you actually plan on using it in a self-defense scenario
    I also had problems with this cheap junk in my M&P 40c. Had about 5 FTF, 3 FTE during two mag loads (21 rounds). Still have 29 rounds left over if anyone is interested.

I know this thread is getting a bit old, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents: I bought several boxes of this in 45 acp and although it shot just fine, it is very dirty. I ran about 50 rounds through my gun and it was as dirty as if I'd run several hundred higher quality rounds through. I guess if you get it for a good price and don't mind cleaning your gun very frequently, this stuff is okay.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights)

The only problems I've ever had with Wolf of Tulammo is that every once in a while (three times within 5 years) a case would get stuck in the chamber of my AR. Totally my fault for firing 5-600 rounds of dirty ammo before cleaning the chamber. Other than that, I've fired coutless rounds through my GLocks and have never had a problem. I'll continue to buy and shoot it for practice every chance I get (I like saving money and don't trust myself to reload, given the many many failures I've seen with people shooting their own reloads).

RBH

Noob questions below...

What are the reasons an indoor range would ban "steel" ammo? In my rookie trip to an indoor range, I had some of this in my bag. They stuck a magnet to it and said it was "not safe" for their indoor range. Is there some steel in the bullet as well? What is it about this ammo that makes it unsafe for indoor range use?

If steel cases don't expand the way brass does, it seems like it would be ideal for reloading. I'm assuming that brass is valuable because it can be reloaded... but that isn't the case with steel?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    Noob questions below...

What are the reasons an indoor range would ban "steel" ammo? In my rookie trip to an indoor range, I had some of this in my bag. They stuck a magnet to it and said it was "not safe" for their indoor range. Is there some steel in the bullet as well? What is it about this ammo that makes it unsafe for indoor range use?

If steel cases don't expand the way brass does, it seems like it would be ideal for reloading. I'm assuming that brass is valuable because it can be reloaded... but that isn't the case with steel?

Thanks!
    The range safety issue is BS, nothing more, nothing less. The range simply doesn't want to deal with separating steel from brass when the collect the cases and sell them for scrap. Steel cases have virtually no scrap value.

Steel cases can be reloaded, but they are very hard on reloading dies and will crack most carbide sizing die inserts. Also, most such ammo is Berdan primed, not Boxer primed, and removing Berdan primers is not easily or quickly done in the typical reloading setup. It's simply not worth the effort.
    Cook74 and dbucciar like this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links