Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts? - Page 4

Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered 5 boxes of .380 when I ordered the LCP. Each box had at least one FTF, and it is dirty. The steel jacket ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I ordered 5 boxes of .380 when I ordered the LCP. Each box had at least one FTF, and it is dirty. The steel jacket is copper plated, and recovered bullets show that the grooves do not extend into the steel. Steel jackets are a fire hazard in summer as I my usual places to practice are either pine forest or foothil grassland/scrub. I only felt safe firing this summer in an old quarry where there is nothing to burn. I will not be buying more.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I just got back from the range. I tried a box of their .45 that i bought back in Oct with the load of .380. I fired 3 mags slow and then fired one rapid, and my Colt .45's extractor broke off. I don't really know that the ammo had anything to do with it, as i have fire a lot of rounds through it in 35 years and it might have been metal fatigue.
    That was my one and only purchase of Russian.

Bought some Tula ammo (gray steel case 9mm) last year. Hated it. Hard to load, jammed in the magazines. Problem with it seems to be that it has too much friction "case against case" that it does slide so well. I actually had it stick in the magazine. After the top round was stripped off the magazine, the rest would not move up in the mag. The spring would be compressed, but if you turn the magazine upside down (outside the gun) the rounds would all fall out (as if there was no spring in the magazine). The bottom couple rounds would have the spring compressed and not let it put up. This is all because of the high friction between the steel cases.

I'll never buy it again.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Russian Ammunition Manufacturers

Vympel Enterprise = Golden Tiger
    The Tula Cartridge Works = Wolf
    Barnaul = Brown Bear
    Ulyanovsk = Silver Bear

Steel cased ammo is what it is...........a much less expensive ammo option. It is generally not as accurate, is dirtier and a bit less reliable than quality brass cased ammo but it works well for range work and plinking. The reason it is dirtier has nothing to do with the powder. Its dirtier and requires more cleaning because the steel cases do not expand in the chamber to the same degree as brass cases and do not provide as good a seal, and this leads to more fouling and carbon buildup.

I only shoot steel cased ammo is my rifles not in handguns so let me comment on a couple of issues related to steel cased rifle ammo. The "internet myth" about the steel case ammo damaging extractors is just that, a myth. The steel cases are very soft steel and will not damaged extractors made of quality hardened steel. Since steel cased ammo in .223/.556 is about $180 per 1000 as opposed to $300 for the cheapest brased cased ammo and I shoot approximately 5000 rounds a year in this calber I can save over $500 per year. That buys a lot of $25 extractors! I save enough to buy a new upper each year.
    Last edited by pirate; February 6th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

super dirty ammo. I have used 300 rounds of mixed 9mm and .40 just for plinking and it feeds fine. Not terribly consistent but shoots fine. Most of my strays are user error anyways.

I've shot Herter which is the same as Tula through my XDM and no problems. Took a while to clean the gun but not a big deal. Keep the ammo sealed in a water proof box until I shoot it. Most times, I'll stick with federal, remington or winchester brass... all 115 gr
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Russian Ammunition Manufacturers

Vympel Enterprise = Golden Tiger
    The Tula Cartridge Works = Wolf
    Barnaul = Brown Bear
    Ulyanovsk = Silver Bear

That is not correct, my Silver bear states Barnaul right on the box.

Tula is not wolf, tula states so right on there website.

I shoot it through my SKS. Out of over 600 rounds, I only had 2 jams. It is dirty, but I clean my weapons wehn I get home from the range anyway.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

shot a box from my PT1911

no problems.

Tulammo at Walmart

The 7.62x39 ammo at Walmart is cheap. But there is a big issue. They advertize the ammo as a FMJ with a lead core. Its not a lead core but a steel core. You can not use this ammo at indoor ranges because of sparking and causing a fire hazard. Also, the steel core round will rip up the metal of indoor ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingslor View Post
    The 7.62x39 ammo at Walmart is cheap. But there is a big issue. They advertize the ammo as a FMJ with a lead core. Its not a lead core but a steel core. You can not use this ammo at indoor ranges because of sparking and causing a fire hazard. Also, the steel core round will rip up the metal of indoor ranges.
    Wrong.

It is not steel core.

It is a lead core with a "Bimetal" jacket--that is, a thin coating of gilding alloy over a mild steel jacket.

Steelcored 7.62x39 ammo has been illegal to import into the US since the 90's.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

tula makes wolf. i shoot it in my ak and my p64. runs good in com block guns. it is a 50/50 hit if it will run good in other guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

TulAmmo

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    tula makes wolf. i shoot it in my ak and my p64. runs good in com block guns. it is a 50/50 hit if it will run good in other guns.
    I am not an expert. I am just a shooting enthusiast. I shoot a Taurus M101 .40S&W, a Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced .45ACP, a Sig Sauer 1911 TacOps .45ACP, a Ruger SR1911, a Beretta 92FS 9mm, and various others. I shoot TulAmmo 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP, and I could count on one hand the number of FTF/FTE's I have had shooting hundreds of rounds through each of these. I hear all about the problems, and how dirty the ammunition is, but maybe I am strange because I clean my guns after every trip to the range. This ammo is fine, and is a big money-saver. I get to shoot more often because of it. If you have a quality firearm, it will likely fire this ammo all day long. Good luck!
    medic18365 likes this.

Not mechanical problems, but it is a bit dirty for my taste.

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I only use it in my SKS.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links