Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was in Wally World today and they seem to have an over-abundance of Tulammo. Research says Russian ammo, but has anyone shot it. Seems fairly ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Tula Ammo - Any Thoughts?

Was in Wally World today and they seem to have an over-abundance of Tulammo. Research says Russian ammo, but has anyone shot it. Seems fairly cheap and would like to try it for practice. Any feedback? Has anyone used it? Problems? Thanks!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Doc View Post
    Was in Wally World today and they seem to have an over-abundance of Tulammo. Research says Russian ammo, but has anyone shot it. Seems fairly cheap and would like to try it for practice. Any feedback? Has anyone used it? Problems? Thanks!
    My understanding is that it is a sub contract of Wolf ammo. I bought a couple boxes to try out, one .45ACP/FMJ/230 grain, and one 380/FMJ/not sure the weight, i think it was 68 grain. I'll let you know what I find.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I shot about 120 rounds of the .223 last weekend. No problems.

Thanks. I am looking at using this ammo for 9mm, .40 and .45. Seems cheap enough. Have heard it's pretty dirty ammo, and could cause issues. Thanks for the feedback.
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

I want to know what the tin's are like for long term storage.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

I bought 3 boxes of TulAmmo .40S&W a few months ago. Generally, I avoid steel cases because it's prone to jamming... sure enough, before I finished the 3rd box, my M&P had extraction failure after nearly every other round. After 2000+ rounds, it's the only time this has ever happened, and I've shot many brands of many different qualities. Brass ammo is self-lubricating, doesn't expand as much as steel does (hence the extraction failure), and actually helps remove soot from the breech. Steel has no upsides.

I don't shoot steel-cased ammo anymore. Plus Russian ammo is DIRTY, powder burns slower, and seems to have terrible performance that's nowhere indicative of American-made brass. It's practically worthless, even for the range- unless you actually plan on using it in a self-defense scenario
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I bought a box each of 9mm and .40 at Walmart for range practice. The 9mm shot OK in my Glock 19 and the .40 shot OK in my Glock 27. I did have jamming issues in my Glock 22 when trying to load a full 15 rounds in the mag. It seems the friction of the steel cases caused them to jam until I got down below 8-9 rounds in the mag.

I finished both boxes yesterday at the range and think I'll stick with the Federal Champion brand. The price difference wasn't enough to deal with the headache.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    My understanding is that it is a sub contract of Wolf ammo. I bought a couple boxes to try out, one .45ACP/FMJ/230 grain, and one 380/FMJ/not sure the weight, i think it was 68 grain. I'll let you know what I find.
    Actually, it's the other way around.

Wolf is Tula in a different box...always has been.

And in my experience, it's just fine for range ammo, in everything from 9x18 to .308...
    Eric357 and VaGentleman like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have tried the 9mm, and it worked fine thru the G19.....dirty...yes....but not as bad as I expected....also...I use the Tulammo small pistol primers, bought 3000 of them, and they have never failed me in reloads with the 9mm or the .38 special...and price was right.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Tula, the other Wolf. Ran fine in my G19, but not much cheaper than Federal. Now the .223 in my AR ran fine, and is a bit cheaper.

Well if it's the same as Wolf then I won't hesitate to pick up the 7.62X39 for the AK. Haven't had problems with it in that rifle. I suppose I would consider trying it in a revolver if they load .38 special since there's no extractor to mess up. Maybe I'll pick some up soon, just driving over to Wal-Mart certainly beats having to order it on the internet and wait.

Picked up 4 boxes of the 9MM at Wallyworld two weeks ago. Went to the range with the Glock 26 and Kahr CW9 yesterday. The Tula worked fine in both pistols, did not experience any FTL or FTE. I did run into a problem that should have been caught in manufacturing quality control. One cartridge had an improperly inserted primer, it was in the casing at an angle and definitely would have caused a nasty misfire if loaded and fired. I would use this ammo for range practice, but would not carry for SD.

I've gone through quite a bit of Tula/Wolf/Herter's International steel case stuff. From everything I've read, they are all the same thing but sold under different brand names. Never had any feeding problems in my own guns shooting 9mm, 45acp, or 7.62x39. A buddy of mine has a M&P45 that consistently failed to ignite the primer, or when it did, would fail on case ejection.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Well if it's the same as Wolf then I won't hesitate to pick up the 7.62X39 for the AK. Haven't had problems with it in that rifle. I suppose I would consider trying it in a revolver if they load .38 special since there's no extractor to mess up. Maybe I'll pick some up soon, just driving over to Wal-Mart certainly beats having to order it on the internet and wait.
    I promise you that you will only shoot one load of steel cases through your revolver, when your done pounding the empties out you will throw the rest of them as far as you can.
    Inspector71 and CDP2 like this.

I consider steel cased ammo as AK specific and relegate it to that task.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links