What .357 Magnum SD rounds for a SP101?

This is a discussion on What .357 Magnum SD rounds for a SP101? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Gold Saber is pretty comfortable to shoot in the smaller magnums, and it has a rounded shape that feeds easily from loader to chamber. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What .357 Magnum SD rounds for a SP101?

The Gold Saber is pretty comfortable to shoot in the smaller magnums, and it has a rounded shape that feeds easily from loader to chamber. I mostly prefer Tuff Strips to regular speedloaders in carry revolvers.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

If one accepts the reduced capacity and carries a revolver, lacking wardrobe mandated problems, I do not understand the failure to carry speed loaders with their significant reloading benefits.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Buffalo Bore has a Tactical Short Barrel Low Flash Low Recoil .357 load that looks very promising. I got some last week (158 gr.), but haven't had a chance to get to the range yet (too much snow and cold). If it works well for me in my 640, it will be my carry load. I've also used the Hornady Critical Defense in .357, which I believe was also developed for short barrels and has less flash. I has worked fine for me and the recoil is not bad at all. Just make sure you have plenty of hearing protection!
    shooterX likes this.

I like 158g LSWCHP. With a fixed sight revolver I like to make sure that I carry ammo that shoots to point of aim for that particular gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Remington Golden Saber 125Gr JHP is my preference for all my snubs.

Good tried, and true, load.

Buffalo Bore
    Federal HST
    Hornady CD
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well my LGS had Golden Saber at a pretty marked up price point, so I went with their well priced Hornady Critical Defense 125gr .357 instead. Of course I'll primarily practice with .38 Special and fire enough .357 to keep myself familiar.

As for my choice of Critical Defense, I know that it was not designed to meet FBI protocols for intermediate barrier penetration, but I figure if I have to fire through auto glass, a door, or what have you then I'm in way over my head anyways. Another good consideration is if I miss my attacker in the stress of defending myself with lethal force then that errant round is the least likely to over-penetrate and potentially harm a bystander. If I do end up having to shoot through cover then I just hope I have my 1911 with me as it's loaded with the FBI standard ammo, Winchester PDX1.

Thanks for your input guys! Keep adding on so that any new people to the site or people who buy their first .357/.38 Revolver as I have done can get a good grasp on the various defensive loads available to them!
    Last edited by Sleipnir; January 28th, 2011 at 03:23 AM.

How do people feel about JSP rounds for snubbies? I ran some Critical Defense and Winchester Super-X 158 grain .357 JSP through my SP101 this past weekend and liked the feel of the Super-X. If, God forbid, I ran into a situation where Critical Defense would not penetrate a barrier would a backup speedloader of the JSP be of any help? I know the bark on the Super-X is a lot louder and has more flash than the Critical Defense, but if I'm already in dire straits I don't see any point not to use the Super-X.

There are lots of good choices...but I will tell you this, the sights of mine are poa/poi for a 158 grain bullet. 125 grains shoot low and the 110 grains shoot even lower.

I've chosen the spear gold dots short barrel 38 +P 158 gr. for my wife...very controllable and accurate for her

I decided I didn't feel comfortable living near Atlanta with a round (Critical Defense) that may or may not penetrate auto glass adequately, so I switched it over to Remington's tried and true full-house Magnum load the R357M1 125 grain SJHP. The reason I decided on my round needing to reliably penetrate auto-glass is due to the fact that car-jackings are pretty prevalent in and around Atlanta and I need to be able to respond to a threat accordingly, but I understand the risk of a full-house Magnum load as any shot that misses WILL go much farther than many other rounds while still retaining lethal force. Then again, it's not my job to create covering fire as a civilian, so that's where practicing point shooting comes into play.

Recoil is not really an issue for me and I'm able to get back on target very quickly, in fact nearly as quickly as with my 1911.

I use Speer 125gr Gold Dot in my Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel, you'd probably lose some velocity out of the SP101's 2.5" barrel, but I believe the round would still be effective.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Remington Golden Sabers 125 Grain Pills. They work period.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I use Speer 125gr Gold Dot in my Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel, you'd probably lose some velocity out of the SP101's 2.5" barrel, but I believe the round would still be effective.
    Clocked at 1200+ fps from the SP101 2.25" .357. This stuff is hot!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry Fiocchi 158gr in my model 19. I would love to go the 125gr route but can't since it would break my gun :(
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links