What .357 Magnum SD rounds for a SP101?

This is a discussion on What .357 Magnum SD rounds for a SP101? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put a Ruger SP101 .357 (2.25" barrel) on layaway yesterday, but I have no clue with what ammo to put in it as this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What .357 Magnum SD rounds for a SP101?

What .357 Magnum SD rounds for a SP101?

I put a Ruger SP101 .357 (2.25" barrel) on layaway yesterday, but I have no clue with what ammo to put in it as this will be my first revolver. Any suggestions would be helpful!

As a side note I'd also like to know whether these have any problem fitting into the cylinder with these Hogue grips equipped?

2. Remove Ads

PMC Starfire loads are nice. More options to come!

Those speed loaders look intresting.

Cool

I use either Remington Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots in my SP but there are a lot of quality factory loads out there.

P18174701.jpg

Whatever grips you decide on make sure that whatever speed loaders you buy will work with them. I use HKS speedloaders with the Pachmayer compact grips.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I must also admit that my .357mag 4inch isn't for conceal carry. Mine is worn OWB when at home or working/walking the land. So I really don't load mine for two legged critters...since I have more of a chance running into the four legged type.

Remington Golden Saber 125Gr JHP is my preference for all my snubs.

I load my sp101 3" with remington golden sabres. Waterproof primer,good ballistics, readily available, and shoots where I aim it.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

First get a few boxes of .38s and get accustomed to the gun. Then start a selection process using various loads from .38s, (+P) and .357 loads until you find what is best for you relative to shootability and power. There is a wide choice from .38s to BB heavy .357 loads available.
    Buckj likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Here's another vote for the Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point Gas Check. Sure, you can carry .357 but this cartridge is pretty hard to beat. It provides nearly as much power and I find it 'slightly' easier to control.
    Last edited by Saber; January 25th, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Remington Golden Saber 125Gr JHP is my preference for all my snubs.
    Same here......for my .357mag snubs though.
    My .38 snubs get Gold Dot SB's.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

If you choose 125 grains, go full strength, if you choose 158 grains go with something around 1000 fps. Actually the suggestions for the 38 spl +p loads are good advice. If you go that route, 158 grain SWC style bullets will do about as good as anything without the punishment of the 357 mags.

My LGS stocks the Golden Saber for pretty much every caliber so I'll try some of that out in .357, my dad also has some Remington 125gr .38 Special +P SJHP that I can try out and see how I like them.

I might try some of the Buffalo Bore when I have some more disposable cash as it looks pretty good. When I do decide on it should I get the normal kind or the high velocity flavor?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    My LGS stocks the Golden Saber for pretty much every caliber so I'll try some of that out in .357, my dad also has some Remington 125gr .38 Special +P SJHP that I can try out and see how I like them.

I might try some of the Buffalo Bore when I have some more disposable cash as it looks pretty good. When I do decide on it should I get the normal kind or the high velocity flavor?
    The Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158 is currently the most powerful factory cartridge there is in .38+P as mentioned above.

However, I certainly wouldn’t start out with it. Perhaps a softer touch but with the same weight will be good for range work. Consider this: Winchester Super-X Ammunition 38 Special 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Box of 50 count. Another option would be: DoubleTap 38 Special+P 158gr. SWC Hardcast 50rds.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I carry .357 Magnum Gold Dot 158 grain JHPs in my SP101.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I carry Golden Saber 125g .357 mag loads in my 640. They shoot well and aren't too punishing to shoot. In a small gun, stay away from the .357 hunting loads unless you really like punishment - darn things kill on one end and wound on the other. :)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The SP 101 is a very strong revolver. If you are an experienced shooter feel free to carry whatever you like in 357. I find the Buffalo Bore 158 Gr. LSWCHP 38+P to be an excellent load for small framed revolvers. The Cor Box 357 DPX is right beside it in ballistic terms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links