Buffalo Bore and Montana Gold

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore and Montana Gold within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On their website they clearly show a 10mm box of JHP marked "Gold Dot". When I received my order, they were not. I finally got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bore and Montana Gold

On their website they clearly show a 10mm box of JHP marked "Gold Dot". When I received my order, they were not. I finally got through to them and they said they couldn't get Gold Dots since Obama went into office, but the Montana Gold were as good or better. Any opinions?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member
    If I were King I would tell them to send you a complimentary box of ammo, along with an apology, and then change the website. Pronto.

I have no personal experience with MG, but from what I have read, they are considered good accurate bullets, but there is some question about their HP expansion. Perhaps at the increased velocities that BB drives their bullets the problem does not exist in their ammo.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I don't understand; what does Obama have to do with it?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I don't understand; what does Obama have to do with it?
    I speculate they are referring to the increased ammo demand affecting their ability to obtain that component...

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I imagine you will be OK, Buffalo Bore builds quality ammo. I bought some for my .357 and have been happy with it.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I have read on a number of websites that speer no longer provides gold dots to other manufactures. One case is Black Hills which went from the speer to the hornandy xtp in their 9mm because of this change of policy.
    also I hope you are testing Buffalo because it is so hot. I got some of their 380 acp for my Sig p230 . It jams every other round. I have had this gun for 10 years and never had a feeding problem. My guess is that the 380 load is too hot for this pistol. Too bad its 200 ft per sec faster than anythig else out there.

If I keep the ammo, I will certainly test it (costly as that is). I just found it unfair that they show a picture of Gold Dots then ship something else. For all I know, the Montana Gold may be a superior round, but I've been loving Gold Dots for years, and that's what I thought I was getting.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
    I have read on a number of websites that speer no longer provides gold dots to other manufactures. One case is Black Hills which went from the speer to the hornandy xtp in their 9mm because of this change of policy.
    also I hope you are testing Buffalo because it is so hot. I got some of their 380 acp for my Sig p230 . It jams every other round. I have had this gun for 10 years and never had a feeding problem. My guess is that the 380 load is too hot for this pistol. Too bad its 200 ft per sec faster than anythig else out there.
    A new recoil spring might help your P230, depending on round count and use. All the BB .380 stuff runs perfectly in my IA PPK. IMO, it's pretty much the best defensive carry round in that caliber.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Its not good to pay premium price for second hand bullets. Get a refund and order from Double Tap.

Just watched a video test of this bullet on Youtube. A 115 grn 9mm was tested in newspaper packed in water jugs and then soaked with water. It penetrated all 4 jugs, seperated from its brass jacket which it left fragments of in the first 3 jugs, and the lead core was intact, but did not expand.

Double Tap does not use this anymore, but uses Golden Sabers and Hornady controlled expansion.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Obama (or the perceived fear of) is the gun businesses best marketing tool.

They should have changed their site to reflect what they're selling. But in reality, anything pushed by a 10mm is going to be effective. You can either worry yourself into a tizzy or call it a lesson learned, shoot it up, and move on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Just watched a video test of this bullet on Youtube. A 115 grn 9mm was tested in newspaper packed in water jugs and then soaked with water. It penetrated all 4 jugs, seperated from its brass jacket which it left fragments of in the first 3 jugs, and the lead core was intact, but did not expand.

Double Tap does not use this anymore, but uses Golden Sabers and Hornady controlled expansion.
    DT is using Nosler bullets in many of their 10mm loads.

Just received 180g FMJ practice ammo and 180g JHP/ Both Nosler

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    DT is using Nosler bullets in many of their 10mm loads.

Just received 180g FMJ practice ammo and 180g JHP/ Both Nosler
    Yep, thats their controlled expansion load, I have 3 cases of the stuff in 180 grain 10mm, but I have been sitting on it for a couple of years. I think I will call Mike tomorrow to find out his current line up.

According to the web site, in 9mm they use the brass jacket from Remington, the regular Remington HP, and the Tac-x bullet by Barnes. So, according to their website, when they list brass jacket, its the Remington GS, not the Montana Gold which also uses a brass jacket.

The HP on the MG is not as deep, and the expansion cuts in the jacket are very different from the Remington bullet.

From the enlargement option on the DTs web site of the bullets, I am 99% sure they are using Golden Sabers, which are the real deal.

Watch out for Double Tap too, all recent reports show they are falling well below claimed velocities. Swampfox is now in the 10mm business and so far every independent review shows they are meeting claimed velocities (they have a 1700FPS 135gr load )
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links