j frame ammo

j frame ammo

This is a discussion on j frame ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know for a 1 7/8 inch barrel J frame revolver (model 342) how the point of impact changes for =P ammo of different ...

Thread: j frame ammo

j frame ammo

Does anyone know for a 1 7/8 inch barrel J frame revolver (model 342) how the point of impact changes for =P ammo of different weights. for intense if you go from a 110 gr to a 135 gr bullet, does using the same sight picture, the bullet hit higher or lower. I am using speer 135 short barrel and using the sights the bullets hit low at 30 feet.
    I see that different height barrels are not available so the only solution is to change ammo.

J-frame sights are made for 158 grn ammo at 25 yrds. If you want something adjstable get laser grips and set them where you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    J-frame sights are made for 158 grn ammo at 25 yrds. If you want something adjstable get laser grips and set them where you want it.
    What about day light. I have CT grips and they are usless in bright sunlight. Because these guns are so light S&W say not to use lead because the recoil might cause the bullets to move foward from the case and jam the gun. they only recommend jacketed bullets.

Lighter bullets generally hit lower. Frequently it isn't significant at reasonable self-defense ranges.

Every .38 Special I carry for self defense, from snub to longer barrels, is stoked with +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter ammunition.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Lighter bullets generally hit lower. Frequently it isn't significant at reasonable self-defense ranges.

Every .38 Special I carry for self defense, from snub to longer barrels, is stoked with +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter ammunition.
    +1 ...... For years all I carried in my S&W 638 were 158 gr +p LSWCHP . A proven load by many Metro PD's including Chicago, Miami , New York and the FBI just to name a few before the semi-auto became the weapon of choice. I carried them in my S&W 66 because the department I was with at the time didnot allow magnum loads. Once the wife took the 638 over she said the recoil was to heavy for her so now she carries 125 gr +p SJHP.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Good advice so far! CT offers a solution if you think a couple of inches is a problem. Like bmcgilvray, however, I don't think it's an issue at concealed carry distances, plus I agree with his & others' recommendation of 158g LSWCHP +P, which is also the bullet weight your gun/sights are regulated for. That round had a great reputation sustained over a number of years & a lot of experience. It's in my daughter's Mod. 60 right now. . . :-)

Sponsored Links