Ammo for Colt 1911

This is a discussion on Ammo for Colt 1911 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kimber eh? If you know, or are close to a good gunsmith, I'd have the chamber tolerances checked, they are notorious for having too tight ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo for Colt 1911

OD*
    Kimber eh? If you know, or are close to a good gunsmith, I'd have the chamber tolerances checked, they are notorious for having too tight of chambers to squeeze out more accuracy.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Kimber eh? If you know, or are close to a good gunsmith, I'd have the chamber tolerances checked, they are notorious for having too tight of chambers to squeeze out more accuracy.
    No, it's definitely not the chamber. The rounds don't get that far. I've only heard of one gunsmith around here but I think he works on Glocks. Don't know about him with a 1911.

Ken

Distinguished Member
    If you find one, you may also want to check the feed ramp geometry. Kimber has a bad rep for it's quality control. The ramp may have been improperly cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    If you find one, you may also want to check the feed ramp geometry. Kimber has a bad rep for it's quality control. The ramp may have been improperly cut.
    Yes, I've been thinking that too, or at least having it polished.

Ken

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    No, it's definitely not the chamber. The rounds don't get that far. I've only heard of one gunsmith around here but I think he works on Glocks. Don't know about him with a 1911.

Ken
    OK. Have you checked your extractor's tension?

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    OK. Have you checked your extractor's tension?
    Okay, help me out here, please. It's extracting fine, it's just not feeding. Could that still be extractor related?

At this point I'm thinking ramp, mag spring (but only 2-300 or so rounds through the mag, a Kim Pro Tac for the latest problem), or the recoil spring (for a 5" gun with only 8-900 rounds through it?). I will change the spring just in case.

I feel like I'm chasing problems around and good ammo is expensive and hard to find. Yes, I'm only getting one malf per box of ammo, but that is hard to analyze and expensive on ammo and does nothing to boost my confidence in a carry gun. As I've mentioned somewhere else, I've been using HST +P and I've read that +P ammo causes more problems. I have some regular pressure Ranger T on order.

I've been reading a thread on another board about JHP vs. alternatives. Some believe that a wide meplate truncated cone bullet is very effective (like the Keith SWC). Much more effective than FMJ. I have often had that same thought. It would be nice to have an inexpensive carry ammo that was the same as my range ammo :-)

Ken

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    Okay, help me out here, please. It's extracting fine, it's just not feeding. Could that still be extractor related?
    Yes, it could, not saying it is, but it could be. The extractor not only extracts empty cases, it helps align the fresh cartridge into the chamber. When the slide returns to battery it strips a fresh cartridge from the magazines, if the extractor is too tight, and with the variances in rim thickness, the cartridge may not be getting fully seated under the extractor on case that may have a little thicker rim.

~ Tiger McKee

OD,

Thanks, I can understand that. But my latest FTF the slide stayed way back, like the round wouldn't even start to feed. I gave it a little shove and it went into battery. I wish I had analyzed it better but my first reaction was "it looks like it needs a push" and then there was nothing left to analyze after that. :(

OD*
    I would try testing your extractor tension, if the rim didn't make it up under the extractor hook very far, it would hold the slide back.

GunTech : 1911 Auto Extractor Adjustment

Video
    How To: Check Extractor Tension

~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links