Ammo for Colt 1911

This is a discussion on Ammo for Colt 1911 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently bought a Colt XSE Government Model 1911 45 and want to take it to the range as soon as possible. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for Colt 1911

Ammo for Colt 1911

I just recently bought a Colt XSE Government Model 1911 45 and want to take it to the range as soon as possible. I am wondering if any Colt owners have a specific ammunition brand that works real well and what target and self defense loads work well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

For the range...whatever is cheap. I have no issues with the Russki steel-cased ammo, like Tula or ----Bear, and all of my pistols have eaten it just fine. If you don't want to go that route, there's the traditional WWB (Winchester White Box), Remington UMC, Federal Champion, Blazer...whatever you can find for the cheapest.

As for self defense, though...that's a little different. You're going to want to find a round that is known for effectiveness, and--VERY important!--works 100% in your pistol in your hands, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control under rapid fire...which means, what works for me, or anyone else, may not work for you.

Fortunately, the legwork has been taken out of the rounds with proven effectiveness...you just need to pick one of the following rounds (doesn't matter which), put at least 50 through your pistol to verify reliability, and then be confident that you've got a load that works for you.

.45ACP
    •Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by:
    ◦Cor-Bon (DPX45185)
    ◦Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)
    •Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)
    •Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)
    •Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)
    •Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    •Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)
    •Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)

Source: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    All the colts I have ever owned with the exception of one 3" one were pretty easy to get along with. I am very partial to hyda-shoks because I have shot them out of every pistol I have and never had one malfunction.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

1911s aren't brand-specific when it comes to ammo. It should feed hardball with complete reliability; once you've established that, then try a box of each of your favorite JHPs to see what's accurate enough in your gun and what feeds well. When you have the list thinned down to 2 or 3 loads, get a 100 or more of each and confirm they all work in your gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I had 2 Colts, a combat commander and a regular 1911. Both ate anything I fed them as long as I used good magazines. The stock ones worked fine but be careful some other brands may cause a hiccup here and there. I had to toss a few over the years.

bosco

I carry either 230 grn Federal HST,or 230 grn Winchester T-series
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Make sure you only use brass cases, and pick up all you can, and then get a reloader, and...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I like golden saber for 1911's
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I like golden saber for 1911's
    Ditto.

Specifically the 185gr +P

185 gr @ 1140fps; 534 ft lbs.

That's as much kinetic energy as many 357mag and higher velocity than most .40s&w. And a bigger bullet than both, to boot!

I love this round.

My 1911s all feed Golden Sabers fine, and I have a few boxes on hand, but in my full-size 1911s Fed Hydra-Shoks produce noticeably smaller groups. Just one more reason to see what shoots well in your gun.

Skip the +P loads if you have an alloy-framed gun, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Don't forget Winchester PDX1 as well. The PDX1 line is an imperceptibly updated bonded Ranger-T design and is usually much easier to get a hold of.

golden sabers 185gr and pdx

I was reading a thread on another board where a high end 1911 manufacturer's rep (Wilson Combat) said that +P rounds caused timing issues in 1911's. He strongly recommended standard pressure for reliability in 1911s.

He also recommended XTP and Golden Saber as the most reliable bullets they have tested.

I have been fighting erratic reliability issues with HST +P ammo. Something that works for 50 rounds and then has a problem. I'm trying different magazines but not really getting anywhere. I just found that thread yesterday and I've ordered some standard pressure ammo. I'll see how it goes. If that doesn't work, then it's either time to look for a different 1911 or go back to my Sig P220. I have gotten very frustrated trying to make my gun reliable.

YMMV

Ken

OD*
    The best thing you can do for your erratic reliability issues in your 1911 is, use a 16# recoil spring, 23# mainspring, good magazine springs and as mentioned, standard pressure cartridges. John Browning did have a little understanding of the Model 1911.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The best thing you can do for your erratic reliability issues in your 1911 is, use a 16# recoil spring, 23# mainspring, good magazine springs and as mentioned, standard pressure cartridges. John Browning did have a little understanding of the Model 1911.
    Well the mags are new, the gun has been acting up since it was new (now has about 800-900 rounds through it). It might be worthwhile to replace the springs, perhaps Kimber didn't build it right, but for right now I think the main issue is to try standard pressure JHP. Unfortunately it's hard to find good defensive ammo these days :(

BTW it works fine with standard pressure FMJ and SWC ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links