Best 22LR ammo for Ruger Mark III 22/45? - Page 2

Best 22LR ammo for Ruger Mark III 22/45?

This is a discussion on Best 22LR ammo for Ruger Mark III 22/45? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My experience lately was different. I had less accuracy from the Federal bulk stuff and super reliability from the Remington bulk ammo with the gold ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My experience lately was different. I had less accuracy from the Federal bulk stuff and super reliability from the Remington bulk ammo with the gold colored HP. The Winchester bulk pack I had was loaded with a tapered flat poimted HP that choked in a couple semi autos.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Well I shot it yesterday some but had some major hiccups before going to the range so wasn't able to pickup any ammo other than what I already had besides some CCI minimags. The gun did good for accuracy with these but was not very good at feeding them. It would FTF causing the bullet to deform and be worthless then. It seems like the tip of the bullet was too soft sometimes to feed up the ramp properly. I am going to buy a few different types sometime next week and try more variables next time. Oh and one of my two mags was bad. Also, first time break down and assembly for this gun was a nightmare. It was so tight of a fit that I almost had to break it to get it back together. I am going to pick up another mag and perform some buff'n'fluff on some of the not so smooth areas and I think I am going to like her.

Quote Originally Posted by trev869 View Post
    Well I shot it yesterday some but had some major hiccups before going to the range so wasn't able to pickup any ammo other than what I already had besides some CCI minimags. The gun did good for accuracy with these but was not very good at feeding them. It would FTF causing the bullet to deform and be worthless then. It seems like the tip of the bullet was too soft sometimes to feed up the ramp properly. I am going to buy a few different types sometime next week and try more variables next time. Oh and one of my two mags was bad. Also, first time break down and assembly for this gun was a nightmare. It was so tight of a fit that I almost had to break it to get it back together. I am going to pick up another mag and perform some buff'n'fluff on some of the not so smooth areas and I think I am going to like her.
    I've had the exact same problem with Remington Cylone's in my Ruger Standard.

Have had no issues with the Federal bulk packs, American Eagle and Eley Sport.
    Last edited by ak56; February 7th, 2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo

I have a Mark III and it eats everything EXCEPT those cheap Remington Golden Bullets.
    FWIW I stick to Federal Bulk or Federal American Eagle AE5022.

perform some buff'n'fluff on some of the not so smooth areas
    On my Mk II, the bolt stop pin was incredibly tight when new, so much so that I had to use a wooden mallet to drive it out the first few times. The barrel assembly was also very tight on the frame, but there's usually no screamin' need to break those two apart routinely. I did polish the bolt stop pin lightly with 600 grit SiC paper, with a lot of trial fits so I didn't go too far.

Take the recoil spring out of the bolt and just work the bolt back and forth in the receiver. If you use a light touch, you'll be able to feel any rough spots, which will go away with a pass or two of a hard stone. One other area that can benefit slightly from polishing is the recoil spring guide rod. On the Mk I and II models the spring 'keeper' was removable, but on the Mk III it appears not to be. If that's the case, don't bother, the improvement is slight and just shooting the gun lots will ultimately give the same effect. Great little gun, huh?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've had good results with Federal bulk ammo and Remington bulk ammo for my Mark III. In most .22s I have had trouble with Winchester Wildcat.

cj
    I've been going with Federal bulk packs myself, even using them for winter indoor bullseye. Haven't had a single failure out of it while the guys who are more serious, using higher end ammunition, seem to have frequent FTF (although it could be their guns too).

Update-Well I decided to follow everyone's advice and pick up a bulk box of Federal rounds. So I went to Walmart and they were sold out so I grabbed a bulk box of Federal Match Target ammo. Went to the range and shot around 200 rounds and it fed every round without one malfunction or anything. I guess my gun is just not hungry for the CCI Minimags. Owell, the Federal rounds are cheaper anyways.

22 long rifle as self defense weapon

Quote Originally Posted by trev869 View Post
    I know it is not a sd handgun and I don't have any plans to use it for that but I just wanted a good plinker so I bought one today. So the question is, what is the best ammo to get tomorrow to go shoot it some and sight it in? I was thinking CCI Mini Mag Hp but does anyone else have good experience with another type of ammo.
    I am confused that you say that 22 LR pistol is not a self defense weapon.
    This is the weapon of choice by the Israeli Mossad
    I have only used this for many years in Africa as a SD weapon and in the USA (Thank God it has not been needed)
    Using it with a red dot sight and training to shoot extremely fast and accurate you have it made
    The throat, temple, nose area can be penetrated by any 22 LR pistol
    You don't need a cannon for that purpose
    So it comes down to train yourself to shoot fast and extremely accurate
    Federal ammo is a good choice
    Last edited by Heinrich; January 1st, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links