Best 22LR ammo for Ruger Mark III 22/45?

This is a discussion on Best 22LR ammo for Ruger Mark III 22/45? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it is not a sd handgun and I don't have any plans to use it for that but I just wanted a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 22LR ammo for Ruger Mark III 22/45?

Best 22LR ammo for Ruger Mark III 22/45?

I know it is not a sd handgun and I don't have any plans to use it for that but I just wanted a good plinker so I bought one today. So the question is, what is the best ammo to get tomorrow to go shoot it some and sight it in? I was thinking CCI Mini Mag Hp but does anyone else have good experience with another type of ammo.

2. Remove Ads

I haven't had a problem shooting the Federal bulk ammo that comes in 550 round boxes from Wal-mart. For plinking it works just fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

+1 on the Federal 550s. I shoot them in a Buck Mark for practice.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Instead of just grabbing a bunch of one type or brand, buy a selection and try them. You might find one that stands out for accuracy.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Instead of just grabbing a bunch of one type or brand, buy a selection and try them. You might find one that stands out for accuracy.
    That's the plan. I am gonna get some Mini Mags, some of the Federals, and just looking for a few more good options.

Are you after accuracy or inexpensive practice/plinking? Bulk Box of Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc. will give you plenty of fun practice for a low cost. If you are after accuracy, I would test serveral different brands of std velocity 40gr loads (remington target, Win t-22, fed bulk target, federal Gold, etc). They are a little more expensive than the practice HV HP's but appear to be more consistant in velocity and a little more accurate in most pistols. Unless you are planning on competeing, there is no need to get the specialty pistol taget loads.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Federal Bulk Pack is probably a good choice. My Mark III will eat about anything but I do get a few duds now and then with Remington Bulk Packs.

Remember, guns of the same make and model can have different ammo preferences. Try different ammo and you will soon learn what it likes best.

Have Fun ~ Be Safe.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I'm not fond of bulk-pack ammo in any of my rimfire autoloaders (two Ruger Mk IIs and four 10/22s), although my biggest problems are with anything with the Remington name on it, and Winchester Wildcats.

I highly recommend what Superhouse 15 suggested, namely to try a variety of loads. Skip the Stingers, though - on my bull-barrel model, the extra-long case seemed too long for the chamber.

One tip - if you're trying different loads to test for accuracy, don't make any conclusions after just 10 rounds of any given load. Rifles may be more sensitive to this than pistols with shorter barrels, but it takes a good 10 or 20 rounds for your barrel to get 'conditioned' to the new ammo, and the first dozen or so rounds after changing may not be representative of what that load can do in your gun. I was shocked to discover that effect during an Appleseed shoot last year; I ran out of one brand of ammo and shifted to another right after sighting in on Day Two. At the 30-ish yard range we shot, I had not only an elevation change but a 2-3 click windage shift as well after changing ammo. Then after another two mags' worth, I was chasing the sights partway back to where they'd been as the barrel 'settled in' with the new ammo. I did some research and found out this was not a rare situation.

FWIW, my go-to accuracy ammo in the Ruger pistols is Winchester T22, which is standard velocity.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A friend of mine has this pistol and she shoots the Federal Bulk Pack stuff with good results. I used the 22/45 with the Fed bulk to put 8 of 10rds into a 16oz bottle at 15yds offhand with the first magazine. Which would be why I just had a MkIII 22/45 Bull Barrel ordered today :D
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

For target practicing any of the brick ammo should probably be ok. However, if you shoot any competition, I would go with CCI minimags since they are much more reliable. I don't have a Ruger, but I have a Sig Mosquito that doesn't like brick ammo, and it's a common problem with .22 semiauto pistols. Last time I shot steel challenge there was a young boy on my squad that had a Ruger .22 that I felt bad for since he had a lot of ammo problems with it. I don't know what it was, but it wasn't CCI minimags.

My Mark II eats the bulk ammo as long as it copper coated. Standard lead only lead to a lot of FTF's for me. YMMV. But it's something to keep an eye out for. I shoot a lot of Federal bulk.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I've used the Federal bulk pack & Remington Game loads in my 22/45 Hunter, both work well.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I haven't had a problem shooting the Federal bulk ammo that comes in 550 round boxes from Wal-mart. For plinking it works just fine.
    Ya really can't go wrong with the milk-carton stuff at all.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I stick to mini mags or winchester super-x in my hunter. Beings its such a PITA to clean these rounds minimize the grime.

My Mark III loves the Federal bulk loads as well, no issue at all. I experience a few FTF or FTE every 4-5 magazines with Remington bulk.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links