327 Federal vs 38 Plus P

This is a discussion on 327 Federal vs 38 Plus P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray Epio; Those loads are downright cute. Funny, the American Eagle stuff is in trays big enough for 38/357 cases. Open the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 327 Federal vs 38 Plus P

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Epio;

Those loads are downright cute.
    Funny, the American Eagle stuff is in trays big enough for 38/357 cases. Open the box and there they are swimming in the holes.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It does seem that the .327 should basically be a 9mm +P+ with a bit more penetration and a bit less expansion. Less lead to spread, but high sectional density at warp speed.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    It does seem that the .327 should basically be a 9mm +P+ with a bit more penetration and a bit less expansion. Less lead to spread, but high sectional density at warp speed.
    Dat's wat I' been thinkin'. I think that article on "Understanding .327 ... Ballistics" (or something like that) used that comparison, too. (NOt sure.) But then there's Brassfetcher's analysis, at the link above. Says the .327 is like a +P.38 ... Hmmm ...

I LIKE it!

Ithink that the .327 Fed. Mag has it's place. So many are whining "it's expensive to shoot." No more than any other "newer" chamberings. the .327 Fed. Mag makes sense! You can rout garden pests with the .32 S&W, as well as use the little cartridge for slaughtering hogs. (It works wonderfully well for this.) The .32 Long will cleanly harvest small game all day without destroying much meat. the .32 H&R Magnum fills a "niche" by mimicking a .38 S&W Special's performance while providing less recoil. Finally, the .327 Federal Magnum will outperform the .32-20 and .30 Carbine by a damn sight and out reach both! It will catch on, and it's here to stay.

I, for one, welcome the cartridge. It performs as the 32 H&R Magnum should have from the outset, and will handle all three of it's shorter brothers with consummate aplomb. It was the logical progression for all of the cartridges employing .312" -.313" diameter projectiles.

Get over it.

Scott
    Last edited by gunfan; February 28th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Get a 38. The 327 is a fad and a ridiculous waste of time.

Brass Man has .327 back in stock... 1000, 500 or 250...

327 Mag NEW PRIMED Federal Brass - 250 ct

Quote Originally Posted by chris2011 View Post
    It isn't a fad. You've been living in the past for an awfully long time, haven't you? Evidently you think that everyone needs to live in the "village of the .38." (I've been shooting for over 50 years and have learned that most cartridges have their place.) I have five 10mm Auto handguns (One is a revolver.) I'd be willing to bet you think that one is a fad too.

I'm certain that's what Teddy Roosevelt said when he armed the NYPD with .32 Colt New Police revolvers.

Versatility is the name of the game.

Scott

I'll bet you believe that the .32-20 outstrips the .327 Fed Mag too. (If you quit living in the dark ages long enough, you just might move into the 21st century!)

I am old enough to remember when the armchair experts said that about the 9mm and more recently, the .40 which was a solution without a problem. Heck they even said the Glock was a passing fad. The .327 will never be a very popular round simply because it is not a round carried by LEO or military. Plus it is a revolver (what is a revolver anyway?) or rifle round. However it allows me to have a lot of power and an extra round in a convenient to carry J-Frame. As I get even older I can drop down to the .32 H&R or .32 ACP which are very light recoiling in my 23 oz. gun. Plus I have choices of light, medium or heavy loads for all occassions. What do you care anyway? No one is forcing you to buy it. If you want ridiculous read some of the posts on gun forums by people who have very strong opinions on things they have never shot. Now that is ridiculous. :)

BTW there are bullets still being sold that were used in the 1800's and guns made to shoot them. I have shot .38's for over 40 years and have to say that I am in love with my .327 snub nose and plan to get more guns chambered for this round. My S&W J-Frame .327 has real sights with a drift adjustable rear. They are night sights to boot. I shoot my J-frame .38s at 7 to 10 yards and am happy for combat accuracy. With the .327 I have fun at 25 yards. The round is just plain flat shooting and goes where you aim. I have seen the ballistic tests on the round as well as all other handgun rounds in person and on YouTube and you either accept that if a round performs as well or better than other rounds in gel it will also do well on humans or you just disregard all gel test for all calibers.

If comparing light bullets, a light bullet in .38sp will move pretty fast. A Glaser 80gr .38+P is advertised at 1250fps out of a 3.5" barrel.

A Corbon 100gr Powerball in .38sp +P is advertised at 1150fps out of a 2" barrel. Faster than a 100gr .327 out of a 2" barrel (BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .327 Mag Results)

I think a .38sp +P is just fine and ammo is easier to find.

My choice for my wife, earlier today, was a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel in .327 Federal. If shye cna't handle the recoil she can shoot smaller .32 loads or, as I would have done with a .357, reduced recoil handloads.

The problem I had with the .357 is that the low-end recoil started about where the .327 left off.

For myself, I use a .380, 9mm and .45 depending on the situation. I also load for the .357 (Ruger Blackhawk) and will do so for the .32 Fed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links