MagSafe Ammo

MagSafe Ammo

This is a discussion on MagSafe Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you guys use MagSafe ammo for your carry guns?I have some old stuff that I got for my 10mm so there is not ...

Thread: MagSafe Ammo

MagSafe Ammo

Any of you guys use MagSafe ammo for your carry guns?I have some old stuff that I got for my 10mm so there is not overpenetration inside.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

It's garbage. If it will be stopped by sheetrock then a solid belt buckle or an arm will cause it to disintegrate and cause minimal damage. Get a real street proven round and improve your aim, don't reduce your performance to make up for poor training.

VIP Member
    I have some I bought a few years back. Will probably just blow them off one of these days. The concept is good I think, yet there are few fans of it who post here. It is so pricey you really can't afford to practice with it.

I keep meaning to do two things regarding ammo. Check out the Federal 135 .40 to see how it performs in my gun with regard to felt recoil and switch to plain vanilla fmj ball ammo for my .380.

That said, I did fire a few rounds of MagSafe through my guns and really liked how it felt. What I can't judge, and judging from all the posts that have been thrown up here through the years no one knows, is if it really is good.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I used to carry it before testing it. It underpenetrates terribly in realistic scenarios. If you shoot a goat in the chest at 4 feet (a la the Strasbourg tests) it is amazing; if you shoot a man with a coat on at an oblique angle it is not going to do the job. Stick with good, proven rounds.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    It's garbage. If it will be stopped by sheetrock then a solid belt buckle or an arm will cause it to disintegrate and cause minimal damage. Get a real street proven round and improve your aim, don't reduce your performance to make up for poor training.
    I don't know about you but I have a good training history.As to the Magsafe ammo I will just do some shooting with it.I have a bunch of good carry ammo that I can use.I just got the Magsafe ammo for my house at night, But I will stick with the Hydra Shoks for the house ammo and the SilverTips and Black Talons for street carry.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I spoke to a guy who was involved in the devolopment of that round. He said get yourself a good hollow point and keep moving besides the wound on the surface the BB's really don't do much. I carried this round when jogging and stiil do for dogs because I will be shooting down other than that is the Speer Gold Dot for peolpe. I know of body guards carriyng one mag of this when at a venue where a lot of peolpe are around.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Several years ago I had some in my 357 which at the time all I had was a 357 and a 380. One night I thought I was going to have to use it. While the whole ordeal went down, I kept wondering in my mind if it was really going to work as good as they say. Thank God I didn't have to fire my gun. The next day I went out and bought a box of Federal Hydra Shoks. Lesson learned that day. Stick to what you know will work.

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    I spoke to a guy who was involved in the devolopment of that round. He said get yourself a good hollow point and keep moving besides the wound on the surface the BB's really don't do much.
    some how i highly doubt that considering i see the owner of magsafe pretty often, he's very invested in his product and wouldnt sell it otherwise.

MAGSAFE did not do me well. I decided to shoot off some "laying" around ammo in my HK P7. When I fired one of the magsafes, the shell stuck in the chamber, literally stuck in the chamber of the firearm. I had to take the gun home and find the necessary muscle to get the thing out. I thought the P7 was to blame due to the MS being +p. Well, I then got a new Kimber Solo. I tried the MS in it. First round....well, the spent shell again expanded in the chamber and could not be released. If I were in a life and death situation with either of these two highly reliable pistols, I would be a goner unless the bullet performed miraculously, and I don't believe that is the case. I have a few 9mm if anyone wants them..MS rounds I mean. By the way, I went to the Extreme Shock for my 45 in my home. I have tested these, at great cost, and they are very good.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangemeister View Post
    MAGSAFE did not do me well. I decided to shoot off some "laying" around ammo in my HK P7. When I fired one of the magsafes, the shell stuck in the chamber, literally stuck in the chamber of the firearm. I had to take the gun home and find the necessary muscle to get the thing out. I thought the P7 was to blame due to the MS being +p. Well, I then got a new Kimber Solo. I tried the MS in it. First round....well, the spent shell again expanded in the chamber and could not be released. If I were in a life and death situation with either of these two highly reliable pistols, I would be a goner unless the bullet performed miraculously, and I don't believe that is the case. I have a few 9mm if anyone wants them..MS rounds I mean. By the way, I went to the Extreme Shock for my 45 in my home. I have tested these, at great cost, and they are very good.
    Well, I've had considerably better luck than that. I'd probably buy a lot more except for the crazy price. Also, I think some other options have come along in recent years, but everything has its place and purpose.

As a few have said here, MagSafe is rather expensive and tends to offer pretty shallow penetration. I am not sure that I'd want to restrict terminal penetration that much and there are so many excellent designs (HydraShok, HST, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, SXT, Ranger T, PDX1, XTPs, etc.) at a more reasonable price structure that it almost flies in the face of reason not to use one of them.

My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by rangemeister View Post
    The P7 has a fluted chamber. The high pressure of the magsafe will force the brass into the flutes, causing total lockup. Additionally, the P7 is not designed to handle rounds below 100gr. The gas system is more sensitive than plain blowback.

I played with these rounds years ago. Saw old Joe Zambone's (RIP) videos. Spent lots of dough. Believed in the Strassburg tests.

Eventually, we all grow up-- just a matter of when, and how much it costs you. For me, it was long and expensive.

Frangible ammo such as Magsafe or Glaser are what I call "niche ammo".

When I had to shoot a raccoon that my relative had trapped in a cage, I loaded a Glaser Silver into my .38 derringer because the cage was from the city and I did not want any overpenetrating bullet damaging the cage. I've heard of one LEO who carries a couple on him, if he ever was to come across an injured animal on the side of the road he could safely dispatch the animal with a lesser chance of a risk to anyone from overpenetration or ricochet (god forbid he misses). I wouldn't trust it for self defense, specialty ammo has it's place though.

Magsafe ammo vs others

First off Id like to say hi all im new to the forum..... so uh Hi,

Now to the topic on hand i have done independant tests on lots of different ammo in all of my guns 3 22lrs 1 9mm 1 .44-40 winchester 1892
    i will only talk about the tests i did with the 9mm,

My 9mm is a CZ-85 with a 4.75" barrel, i used a .060" thick piece of 14-4 ph steel like a car door basically and then 2 2x6" boards behind the steel the 2 pieces of wood had 1" of space between them and there was 2" of space between the wood and the mild steel, for a reference i took steel tipped hunting pellets and did the maximum 10 pums reccomended for my gun and the pellet poked a hole in the steel but did not go through it, ok
    the 9mm ammo i used was magsafe 64 gr +p, winchester silver tip 115gr hp, win ranger talon sxt 124gr +p, fiocchi 115gr xtp fiocchi 92gr monoblock solid copper, remington golden saber 124gr +p hp, and the only round nose ammo Geco (dynamit nobel)124gr rn.

the test was 2 64" 2x6" spaced as previously stated with the .060" mild steel spaced 2" in front of the wood, i did the tests from 10 yds and shot 3 rds of each brand and wiegth, the magsafe made a somewhat oblong shaped hole in the steel and was mostly stopped by the first 2x6" a few bbs were stuck in the second board but still easily visible and easily removed, all teh other rounds in the test made it through the steel and both 2x6" with various sized (exit wounds) the golden saber took the biggest chunk of wood out of the second 2x4 then came the ranger talon then the fiocchi 92gr monoblock then the win silvertip and teh fiocchi xtp and the Geco 124gr RN round were about the same sized holes,

what i got from this test was the glaser and corbon powerballs are for home defense when you have to worry about missed shots, so either use them get a smaller caliber gun like a 22lr that you can hit with or practice practice practice with teh gun you do have, As far as the other ammo I use the Golden Sabers at Home and then the Ranger talons for carry, I do hit what i shoot at two hands one handed it doesnt matter so i dont worry about misses, also if a round or two did go through or were misses at my house i dont have to worry about someone getting hit by strays,

Sorry this was long winded but it was hard to get my results across even this short, as far as Magsafe or Corbon Powerball i wouldnt waste the $2 a round on them

For the cost of 500 rounds of magsafe (Assuming $16.90 from Magsafe Ammo 9D, 9 MM, Pre-Fragmented Bullet, 60 GR, 1800 fps, 8 PK - $1,056.25) you can get a lightly used Glock & a 2 day class from a reputable training school.

However good magsafe is, it's not better than NOT MISSING

Sponsored Links