Educate me on carry ammo

Educate me on carry ammo

This is a discussion on Educate me on carry ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I don't know enough about ammo and could use some guidance, links, advice, or writeups on what to look for when purchasing. I ...

Thread: Educate me on carry ammo

Educate me on carry ammo

Hey guys,

I don't know enough about ammo and could use some guidance, links, advice, or writeups on what to look for when purchasing.

I currently have Corbon PowRballs 135gr in my .40 and got some Federal HyroShoks 165gr as a Valentines Day present.

I honestly have no idea which one to carry or why one would be better than the other.

About all I know is that you want a hollow point that expands well and will penetrate thick clothing. What are some features I need to look for when buying carry ammo?

Help? Point me in the right direction? Links of the basics?
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The most important quality is that it feeds and works reliably in your pistol. If you find a round that works 100% in your carry weapon, that is more important than the anything else.

Really I think any of the JHP ammo from the big name manufacturers should serve you well. Avoid gimmicky stuff, stick with the well known names, and the stuff police departments use.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

This is a pretty good read on general defensive ammo for different calibers. They go into some principals as well as "good vs bad" rounds to carry. Hope it helps.

Awesome, thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Swap that powerball for your new valentines day present. You'll be much happier if you have to use it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

You should run at least 50 rounds ( I like to run 200) of your carry ammo choice in your weapon, through ALL your mags you intend to carry, to ensure reliability. Small price to pay to not have to realize it doesn't feed reliably when it counts and have one of those moments where you don't get a second chance.

Both of the rounds you currently have aren't up to the standards of the big 3 of defensive ammo's most modern stuff. This doesn't mean they won't work, but there is better stuff out there. Winchester Ranger-T or PDX1, Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dot are the most popular rounds with LE agencies for a reason; they have the best performance. Here is a good article on how handgun bullets cause damage, what makes for an effective round, and what loadings have been shown to perform well in both lab testing and real world usage.

The article by Chuck Hawk is at best outdated and often times flat out wrong. His sources of info (namely Sanow and Marshall) used methods to rank performance that have no basis in reality and fall apart when held under the light of common sense.

You should run at least 50 rounds ( I like to run 200) of your carry ammo choice in your weapon
    Heh. It was painful to run a box of Corbon DPX through mine. No way I'm going to run 8 boxes ($264). The Corbon is extremely reliable and has superb expansion. Some people here use a pic of an expanded round of DPX as their avatar - it's that perfect.

I load my guns with DPX in .38 cal, .357 cal, and 9mm for HD and carry. It's crazy expensive to shoot so just make sure your gun runs with it and you're good to go.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by zip777 View Post
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

This is a pretty good read on general defensive ammo for different calibers. They go into some principals as well as "good vs bad" rounds to carry. Hope it helps.
    Chuck Hawks is about 10 years out of date, and relies on a study that has been shown to be based on bogus data.

The link in post #2 is kept up to date, and references bullets that are available now, not just what was available when Al Gore actually held an office...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hornady Critical Defense Ammo...probably best stoppers I've Seen so far; they beat the Hydroshock & Corbons.

Try them both. If your .40 is picky about feeding reliably, the powerball is probably your best bet. It feeds in practically anything and expands reasonably well.

IMHO you should get all of the major brands you are interested in and try them. See which one your .40 is 100% reliable with, then from those choose the most accurate.

Personally I carry Winchester, exclusively. If I can't get Ranger's, I can find some SXT's, if I can't find SXT, I will shoot Silvertips. If I'm in dire straits I can always find .45 230gr White Box at WalMart. My gun shoots @ point of aim / point of impact with any of these rounds. In fact it shoots any hardball I've ever used accurately enough to not worry about it.

The most accurate ammunition I ever shot was Remington Golden Sabers. They produced the absolute smallest groups consistently. BUT they didn't shoot point of aim due to their odd bullet weights. If that were the only ammo I would ever carry, I would adjust my sights and be done. I like my philosophy because it gives me tried and true choices and options if I cannot find the rounds I want.

Remember, the most important thing is SHOT PLACEMENT. It doesn't matter whose bullet you're firing if you miss the target.

Sponsored Links