Need help finding practice ammo

This is a discussion on Need help finding practice ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get a good deal on .40 S&W just for practice. Any input would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding practice ammo

I just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get a good deal on .40 S&W just for practice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Lead Moderator
    Lots of sources. Check out Wolf ammo or consider reloading. Personally , I reload and it does take some time, but seems worth it to me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I am thinking of starting to reload my self. I figured for 45acp I could reload for about 10 cents per round which most of the cost is for the bullet. If I melted my own lead and casted bullets, I could reload for 3.5 cents per round. The bullet is 2/3 of the cost. I have attached a .pdf of my excel sheet that I made. Enjoy.
    Attached Files
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Cheapest commercial reloadable ammo is still Wal-Mart with Win White Box 165gr FP jacketed ammo. IIRC, I paid $16.98/100 rds when I last bought it a few weeks ago. Cases are reloadable.

Reloading will be your cheapest alternative.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    My Wal-Mart has Blazer Brass for 7.86 a box, I like it better than WWB.
    Curry

The best prices I have been able to find is at my local Gander Mountain/Sportsman's Warehouse. I can actually get money back if I go to Sportsman's first, then to Gander.

Get them into a peeing match.

Buy a couple cases at once and they will price match at the least and sometimes go more. The last time I bought, I got it for $6 a box plus another 5% off for being in the guard. Sticker price was $6.25-$7 a box. I cleaned off their shelves of everything they had. About 5000 rounds.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

JD
    Administrator
    ammoman.com I ordered 500 round of feseral .40 155gr JHP for $150, while I realize that some say the round isn't heavy enough, I'm not going to get into the small fast / big slow debate...all I can say is whats wrong with both? I don't now how long the sale is running. I ordered Friday and recieved today, can't beat that. Usually I buy the White box Winchester from Wallyworld. My weapons didn't like teh Wolf, all round were to the left, must have been Liberal ammunition...HAHA your supposed to laugh at that.

I reload , I watch midwayUSA, Grafs, etc. for sales. I can duplicate my carry rounds for practice. I usually get my brass by sweeping the floor of the local indoor range, after a session. Go towards the end of the day and you can pick up quite a bit of left over brass.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Be sure and check out Cheaper Than Dirt and Natchez on line. They will often have good buys on bulk ammo.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Winchester white box is my choice for cheap and easy to find. Blazer brass is good too.

Try www.natchezss.com. I find pretty good deals on 9mm and .45's. Also Sportsman's Warehouse has Remington's at a pretty good price usually.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie A.
    I just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get a good deal on .40 S&W just for practice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Someone else posted this link in another thread:

http://www.kyimports.com/ammo.htm

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Unless you buy in bulk I find Wally World to be the cheapest, due to shipping and handling charges. However you can usually find premium JHPs at a worth while deal at cheaper than dirt.

ammo

Try cdnn sports I buy 40 cal winchester ranger law enforcement ammo for 129.00 dollars a case 500 rounds not so sure its a great practice round but its a hell of a personal defense round cheap!!!!
    Its kinda snappy tho be careful!!!! laughs:)

Does anyone know where to get the REALLY cheap stuff? I looked at some of the places suggested here, but for FMJ 9mm pistol practice ammo, I haven't seen any prices that look better than Wal Mart to me, not after you figure in shipping and handling costs.

When I was a kid several decades ago, I remember my Dad bought some BOXES (cases?) of surplus 9mm Luger and 8mm Mauser ammo that we shot. It was somebody's military surplus, corrosive primers so you had to clean after each shoot, and a significant # of misfires. But, it was DIRT cheap, a couple of pennies per round. And as I found out by mistake, if you recocked the hammer on a 9mm pistol they almost always went off the 2nd time!

Anyone know of a place to make a big bulk buy of some cheap crap ammo like this (maybe a couple thousand rounds)? That's what I'm talking about!

All this is making me reconsider learning and buying some reloading equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links