Planning to carry .38sp in my .357 and why - Page 2

Planning to carry .38sp in my .357 and why

This is a discussion on Planning to carry .38sp in my .357 and why within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think lowing your power just for reasons of hearing loss in a SD shooting is doing a disjustice to yourself. I would like to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning to carry .38sp in my .357 and why

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I think lowing your power just for reasons of hearing loss in a SD shooting is doing a disjustice to yourself. I would like to live and can't hear than to be dead.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Check out this link (I've never posted a link like this, so hopefully it will work):

[URL=http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=21[/URL]

Buffalo Bore has a Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil and Flash load in .357 that also is easier on the ears.

I'm unconcerned with sound if I'm called on to shoot in defense but we also mustn't forget that .38 Special is a great round in its own right and more capable than many give it credit for being. With good loads and good hits the .38 Special is perfectly capable of causing an assailant to have a incapacitatingly bad day. With poor hits the .357 is perfectly capable of being wholly inadequate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_viK8qOfw

Despite limited selection of bullets back in the day, with good hits it worked in '63 and with good hits it works now.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I keep mine loaded with .38 +p. The magnum is great, but if you're deafened and your sight is compromised by the muzzle flash enough to screw up your follow-up shots then it does you no good. The .38 Special has been killing people for over a century and I'm sure it still works just fine.

I also remember the "Ung " case (thread going on that) , and cases like the woman who shot her husband 6 times, point blank in the face with a .38and he not only survived, but was giving interviews within 2 days.

Besides that, I would like to know the true decibel difference between a .38 and a .357 with the same type of ammo, vs different model of guns. Because I doubt there is much difference at all.

I've seen some 9mm's , with the same ammo, and there was quite a difference between different models of guns in terms of loudness.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This Speer 357 Mag load is pretty wimpy, but it's 130 fps faster than the same 135 grain Gold Dot bullet in Speer's +P 38 Special. Might be worth considering.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics...x?loadNo=23917

bmc...

Nice pistol! Didn't they just compete with that same gun on Top Shot?? I love old school pistols.

And Eagleks...

You gave me an idea. It might be awhile until I can do the test but I OWN a decimal meter and fortunately a snubbie that eats 38's and 357's. I'll perform a test! I'd love to simulate indoors at the range but I doubt they would like my girl behind me with a spl meter. LOL When the weather warms I'll be sure to bring it to an outdoor shoot. I'm curious myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Its your choice , so you must do what you feel best.
    Some points for consideration.
    A revolver is a lower capacity weapon.
    A revolver will be slower with followup shots, in that they are all DA.
    A revolver is slower to reload.
    I don't consider the above to be disqualifing factors, but...in light of them I want the best possible effect from each round. That to me indicates the .357 mag round over the .38 special.
    As previously mentioned, the amount of unprotected shooting, will in all probability be extremely limited.
    When I carry a revolver it is loaded with .357 mag loads for the reasons indicated.
    Ever heard of Jerry Michelik? He's not slower in follow-up shots and can reload faster than most can with an auto. As for capacity, the 686 has 6 or 7. Your typical 1911 has 7 or 8.

Regarding the hearing issue. I think you are thinking about this the wrong way. Shoot whichever you shoot better with. If you shoot the same, I would go with the .357.

Will your hearing be affected? Maybe, maybe not. Many gunfight survivors don't remember hearing the shots. I would bet that the .38 is just as potentially damaging to your hearing as the .357.

The bottom line is carry what gives you the most confidence and practice a lot. Your confidence in your abilities is an important consideration when you have to take the shot.

The idea of practicing with .38 and carrying .357 was proved to be a really bad way to train in the 70's and 80's. The shock and blast of the magnum rounds precluded a follow up shot. You should train with what you carry so that the training is beneficial.

Having said all of that, I would carry .357 rounds and get used to the shock and blast. That was the reason for the 686 to begin with. When police started training with their carry ammo, the K-frames were not holding up to the stress very well.

Train hard and be safe.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I carry my Model 649 with the Speer Short Barrel .357 load. I think if I ever had to shoot in a SD situation my concern for my hearing would be somewhere down the list. At home, most likely I would grab my Model 28 which I do load with the .38 special + P "FBI Load". I've never shot either .38 special or .357 magnum indoors ( besides in a range setting) but I imagine they both would both ring your chimes pretty well without protection. The Model 28 shoots this load very well, and flash and noise factors considered, I can get faster follow up shots with the FBI load.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Check out this link (I've never posted a link like this, so hopefully it will work):

[URL=http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=21[/URL]

Buffalo Bore has a Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil and Flash load in .357 that also is easier on the ears.

+1 for the bufffalo bore tactical short barrel low recoil and flash magnum loads, I use both the 158gr and the 125gr in my Mod 66
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

The one time in your life that you may have to shoot in self defense; your hearing should be the last thing on your mind.

It should be survival, first.

If you want to shoot .38s, then be my guest; they'll do the job. But, to switch from .357 to .38 to preserve your hearing isn't sound logic. If you just straight up shoot .38s better, then go for it.

If you're serious about hearing loss during a self defense shooting, you should be shooting sub-sonic ammo through a supressor. .38 Specials aren't going to do your ears any good, any more than .357.

OMO. $ .02 IOU
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I thought you had to shoot the stiffest .357 out of the lightest revolver or you weren't a man!?!?

LOL just kidding. I carry .38 +p in my J Frame.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44
    Ever heard of Jerry Michelik? He's not slower in follow-up shots and can reload faster than most can with an auto. As for capacity, the 686 has 6 or 7. Your typical 1911 has 7 or 8.
    Yes, I am familiar with JM. I think that comparing JM, with a tricked out revolver and moon clips to a mere mortal with a stock revolver and maybe speed loaders is a stretch. The rest of your post I agree with.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A revolver will be slower with followup shots, in that they are all DA.
    I dunno about this one. The revolver is faster to shoot because the mechanical movement of the trigger and cylinder is less than that of the semi auto slide.

When I actually cared about this and was timing it, my average splits with the revolver were 2 tenths of a second, same as with the 1911, and just a hair slower than the Glock. for what it is worth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links