Planning to carry .38sp in my .357 and why

This is a discussion on Planning to carry .38sp in my .357 and why within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would disagree as the trigger movement on a revlover in DA is considerably longer than the trigger movement on a semi auto in SA ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning to carry .38sp in my .357 and why

I would disagree as the trigger movement on a revlover in DA is considerably longer than the trigger movement on a semi auto in SA mode. In addition, the slide movement is faster than the ability of a human to pull the trigger. This is illustrated by semi auto pistols that have machine pistol models and their rate of fire/rpm. In other words the semi auto pistol will faster than the human ability to fire it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I respectfully disagree Guantes. The speed records are held by revolver shooters. McGivern, Michelik, etc. The mechanical parts in the revolver have less distance to move than the mechanical parts in the semi auto.

Even a single action can shoot 5 shots quicker than a semi.

I didn't realize, naive on certain things, what a volatile subject this is. Here is a thread I found on the subject.
    Speed Shooting: Autos VS Revolvers - THR

IMO, for the average practiced shooter, I still think that they can fire a semi auto faster than a revolver, either event being below the capabilities of the weapons.

The important thing to remember here is that the revolver is fast enough in the practiced hands of the aficianado and a number of revolver-toting aficianados still exist. Speedy spraying isn't required.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Just to clarify things, I am not anti-revolver, I carried one virtually my entire career and frequently still do.
    There is nothing wrong with speedy spraying, if the cone of the spray is kept sufficiently small.

Hi Guantes;

I'm not even anti-semi-auto, especially if it is a 1911 or Hi-Power. In the past I frequently carried a 1911 .45 but haven't much in recent times. I still often shoot one, mostly a Colt Gold Cup.

I likely don't get out much any more or something but even my follow-up shots are probably delivered more deliberately than may be popular. At least that is the feeling I get from regularly reading on this forum. I can and have spent time firing handguns in "spray" mode but have no notion of approaching a self defense situation in that frame of mind. Mind you, I can be deliberate as fast as may be required.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Mind you, I can be deliberate as fast as may be required.
    Of that I have no doubt.

Would I be correct to believe that you do not subscribe to the concept of burst fire

If I was employing a sub-gun then perhaps a few well-directed short bursts would suit.

I'm not too keen on the notion of using a handgun to deliberately trigger a burst of fire against an assailant. I may be unimaginative but can't really see the purpose of it unless one felt the need to pump a few shots point-blank into an assailant who was grappling with him.

Understood, thank you.

.38special is adequate if that is what you are proficient with.

VIP Member
    I did not think you were anti-revolver Guantes. I switched over to the semi in recent years, but still love the feel of a good revolver in the hand. A fellow so armed won't come up short if he knows how to use the tool.

I made that more as a general statement, rather than directed at anoyone in particular.

I am in complete agreement, that a revolver is quite adequate as a defensive weapon for one well practiced in its operation. A caveat I made earlier is that with its (revolver) lower capacity, I prefer loads that in a given caliber will provide the greatest terminal effect, assuming that one can handle them.

I apologize to the op for being part of the thread drift that has taken place.

cmb
    If you miss with a 357 at close range the flame is a good secondary weapon!

The one who said different guns are louder than other with same ammo and with varying ammo is right... I have heard some pretty loud blasts at the range but the force, flash and bang of a 357 is pretty good, though some carry 44, the 357 is probably the biggest most carry... don't forget it is really a matter of speed and bullet weight since 380, 38, 9mm, & 357 are essentially same diameter, side by side wihtout the bullet in brass and being real close hard to tell them apart...

I would definitely use +p in 38 spcl and the recommended seems to be a 125 grain but if you are confident with your set up and have thought it through than trust it, when I carry 357 I carry 38 spcl as reloads because I carry it in tandem with a 38 spcl j frame... but the first 6 are 357... if I have to shoot I will take all the power I can get and my follow up shots at 15yds are on par with other pistols...

I sure love these discussions. Look at all of the different opinions. I have total confidence in a SD 38 special load. I like 158g SWC-HP lead.
    That said, I have never considered loss of hearing for my choice of a load. I don't believe a few rounds in a once in a lifetime situation will result in permanent hearing loss. Rightly or wrongly my primary considerations are - 1. Stopping the threat 2. pass through shots.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by zip777 View Post
    Agree 100%. I will add I even shoot more accurately with .38 than .357 at 25 feet...significantly better...but most SD situations are less than 15 where I would be point shooting and I know I can group well with either bullet.

I tend to practice most with the .38 rounds and run a few rounds of .357 thru her right before I leave so I can feel the difference. Even if you need to squeeze off 5 rounds in a SD situation once a year (and if so you might want to sell your store if it's that dangerous) I don't think you would have significant hearing damage either way.

When very young I once shot 100...that's right 100 rounds of 16 gauge skeet shooting with no protection. Although VERY stupid - and me ears did ring for 6 months - my hearing is still good. 100 rounds out of a shotgun vs 5 out of a pistol?? Personally I wouldn't sweat it.
    I think the OP's choice is good for him. He knows his capabilities, and how important hishearing is to him. Also, a shooting in a store is going to be a lot worse sound wise than shooting out in the open. 5 rounds of 357 Mag may not be enough to do permanent hearing damage, but the 38 Special is still a viable SD round in my opinion. Anyone you disputes this should consider would they care to stand in front of one?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links