Accuracy is King, but Monarchys do fall from time to time

This is a discussion on Accuracy is King, but Monarchys do fall from time to time within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It comes up almost every time, if not every single time, a discussion of terminal effect or debate between various calibers comes up: Someone will ...

Thread: Accuracy is King, but Monarchys do fall from time to time

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar

Accuracy is King, but Monarchys do fall from time to time

It comes up almost every time, if not every single time, a discussion of terminal effect or debate between various calibers comes up: Someone will always throw in a variation of the "If you're accurate, it doesn't matter what you're shooting." argument. This argument reached its epitome in my experience on another gun forum where I read this statement:

"Accuracy rules and will always top out any and ALL choices of ammo."

But that's not true, is it? Not as absolutely stated as it is, it's not. If accuracy really and truly trumped all other considerations, we could ditch the 9s and the 40s and everything else and all start carrying .22s for self-defense. Because I can get accurate faster and shoot more accurately with a .22 than with anything else I currently carry.

But nobody has done that (if they don't have to; some simply are unable to shoot anything bigger), have they? Because we can't, if we want the best chance of winning the fight. We can't carry .22s because .22s, as lethal as they are (and they are lethal; lots of people die after being shot with .22s every year), because we don't just need lethality, we need fight-stopping effect.

That means we need to pay attention to terminal effect, and that means we need to pay attention to the ammunition we put in our carry guns, and we need to consider the usefulness of accurate burst-fire. Even the best handgun ammunition cannot be relied on as a single-shot fight-stopper, though it often does exactly that. And if we do not have the best handgun ammunition in the gun, then accurate burst-fire is the most practical way to make up for the lack of terminal performance of the rounds we do have. And accurate burst-fire is the most practical way also to reduce the chances that even the premium and proven rounds will fail, as we know they do.

This does complicate the choice of handgun and ammunition combination somewhat, but it is a necessary complication. We need to choose and use a handgun that we can hit with well with bursts of rounds, not just single shots. Then we need to find the best ammunition we can find to fire those bursts out of that handgun with.

Don't get me wrong: Accuracy is still King. But if Accuracy is King, then Terminal Effect is Queen and her rulings must also be attended to. If we are to make the best choice of equipment to give ourselves the best chance of going home after the fight is over, BOTH must be considered and chosen as best we can.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

2. Remove Ads

This does complicate the choice of handgun and ammunition combination somewhat, but it is a necessary complication. We need to choose and use a handgun that we can hit with well with bursts of rounds, not just single shots. Then we need to find the best ammunition we can find to fire those bursts out of that handgun with.
    Sounds like a job for a Five-seveN!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

You may be accurate and have terminal effect, but if your too slow, you may still lose. That would seem to make speed Prime Minister?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    "Situational Awareness" should definitely be in the royal line of succession.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links