Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry?

This is a discussion on Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Adkjoe What do you think? When I go on long backpacking trips I usually choose to carry a .357 mag instead of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry?

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    What do you think? When I go on long backpacking trips I usually choose to carry a .357 mag instead of a .44 mag because my .357 is so much lighter. When I go camping with the car or just for the weekend I will bring the .44

If your carrying a 3" .357 mag in black bear and moose country would you carry SD HP's or FMJ? From a ballistic standpoint what would be a better choice to carry in the woods in that caliber?
    It's not cheap, but without a doubt I think the best option is Corbon DPX / Barnex XPB. Several reasons...

http://corbon.com/DPX.html
    http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defen...20/200/Product

* Lacking the squishy lead makes it more consistent. You get more reliable expansion than JHP, and this also results in more consistent penetration depth.

* Penetration is deeper than JHP but less than FMJ, this makes it ideal for both hunting and self defense because you are more likely to reach vital organs without the risk of over penetration and wasted kinetic energy.

* Because 100% of the mass is retained it is also better at going through thick animal bones and barriers than JHP, rather than glancing off.

* Now comes the downside, although I don't really think it is a downside: because the copper is slightly less dense than lead, you get slightly less room for powder than with a JHP round. This means it has slightly lower velocity and less recoil. I don't think this is a negative because a tiny increase in velocity has no benefit, if anything it just reduces expansion size by taking the spurs off an otherwise good mushroom.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    What kind of critters you got up your way? I'm still trying to find a long enough trail up there.

I'm personally planning on just going with my 9mm Hollowpoints
    Bear, moose, cougar, etc...

Trying to find a long enough trail up where, what do you mean?

*thanks everyone for the input!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Guantes is spot on. Hard cast flat nosed bullets for big game. deep penetration and good wound channel Nice wide meplat.

You can even shoot these from OEM Glock barrels.

Unless you stick the barrel in the bear's mouth when you fire, a handgun isn't very effective.

That being said, having the .357 is better than leaving the heavy .44 at home. I agree w/ the CORBON advice. The DPX gives you the best compromise in penetration and expansion.

Personally, I carry a 3" .44 Magnum w/ 240gr JHP for the back country and I practice enough that I shot my former agency's qual course with it. Look at a good carry system if the weight bothers you. If you don't like it on your belt try a shoulder holster to distribute the weight better. Just throwing it out there.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Bear, moose, cougar, etc...

Trying to find a long enough trail up where, what do you mean?

*thanks everyone for the input!
    Was looking for a 40 mile loop. Going for the long trail now.

What do you think? When I go on long backpacking trips I usually choose to carry a .357 mag instead of a .44 mag because my .357 is so much lighter. When I go camping with the car or just for the weekend I will bring the .44

If your carrying a 3" .357 mag in black bear and moose country would you carry SD HP's or FMJ? From a ballistic standpoint what would be a better choice to carry in the woods in that caliber?
    Neither. On creatures like these you want penetration. Best rounds to use are a SWC, LFN, or WFN all lead hardcast gas checked bullet. THIS is what I carry when I am in bear country here in the Pacific Northwest. Me personally, I would NEVER use a hollow point bullet on any game animal (other than varmits); NEVER, EVER.
    Last edited by dawei; February 20th, 2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: format, punctuation, and spelling

Pepper spray......Or the .44 with heavy bullets. In cougar country carry another person, cause you wont see it coming..
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I've never seriously considered what I'd load with if bears were a possibility. Probably would tote a .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum stoked with full-power lead semi-wadcutter handloads if there was a real possibility of an encounter with critters that bite back and I couldn't carry a suitable long arm.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    After all, wild animals have rights and feelings too. Should not the Geneva Conventions apply to them as well??

Using expanding bullets to kill animals is clearly an inhuman action. We must lobby the Congress to outlaw this cruel practice.

The simple answer is to alternate in the cylinder (FMJ / HP) with rounds that have similiar recoil. I do this all the time with a sidearm when hunting / hiking, as my concerns range from 2 legged to 4 legged.

+1 on the pepper spray. It is not always clear cut when to fire in SD with a wild creature. Most of the time surprise (for both you and the critter) is the major problem. For those times when not sure, pepper fogger / spay can be used to warn. There are also studies that show that the rare critters bent on attack might respond to retreat to pepper spray than a hit by a round or the sound of a firearm.

I'm not suggesting I would take a firearm over spray (I'm simply not sure). I just take both when camping / hiking (when hunting, the pepper is replaced with a 30-06).

FYI, I was just told with bear it might be best to aim for the shoulder followed by a head shot in a (pistol) SD situation. The head can take damage, and might trigger a more aggressive attack, while an initial shoulder hit (even if followed with head shots) might trigger retreat. The bear expects head blows, but is taken by suprise (and slowed) by an injured shoulder. Just something I've been told.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Just take a buddy with you that you can run faster then him. Makes your bullet choice less crutial.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i carry 225 gain Hornaday lever evolution in my .44mag for SD when I carry it around town, I would trust it to defend against a bear as it is the only back country gun i would carry
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Just take a buddy with you that you can run faster then him. Makes your bullet choice less crutial.
    You don't even have to run faster, just shoot faster. Shoot him in the leg before he shoots you.

OK, just kidding.

My vote is penetration on a bear. That would mean a solid point, preferably, hard cast. Expansion won't help if it does'nt reach the vitals. Even a non expanding .35 cal. in the heart or brain beats a .50 cal. expanding in fat or on the outside of bone. Just my opinion
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I hear what you are saying, but I saw a video of a Grizzly rolling in an area just sprayed with pepper spray like a dog on road kill. That turned me off to depending on bear spray!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links