Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry? - Page 3

Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry?

This is a discussion on Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1 for BB. Their loads are well-planned and tested. If you would want to carry the .44, they have a load called Deer Grenade! That ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    +1 for BB. Their loads are well-planned and tested. If you would want to carry the .44, they have a load called Deer Grenade! That would certainly get the attention of anything on the receiving end of it.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I would say HP is the better choice....however...on my backpacking or hiking trips in mountain country...I have either my Blackhawk .357 or .41 mag....both are stoked with hardcast SWC's....but I still carry handloaded Hornady XTP's for both as well.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

My vote is for hard cast SWC, heaviest and stoutest load you can handle. As a side note - a bit of a sea story - when I was getting transferred to Kodiak AK several years back, Exec was telling me about the Island. I asked about using a 357 in bear country. Exec advised me if I took a 357 to Kodiak be sure and file off the front sight. I bit - Why? I asked. Answer, when the bear shoves the 357 up my ***** it wont hurt as bad. I've never forgotten that.
    NRA Life Member

Cast bullets.....performance on game is determined by penetration. The animals you mention are tuff, cast bullets rule the day on these....more so than in (human) self defense situations.

Hey, here's an idea, do go where you are out numbered and where yogi and boo,boo can eat you and your gun, and a station break won't bring you back . Just my two cents, nuff said...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As usual, Guantes nailed it with the hard cast. HPs would be okay for a cougar or such, but with bears you may need to break bones, and HPs may not do the job. The hard cast bullets have proven to get the job done. As for FMJs, I'd take my chances with putting one thru a bear's skull with that before I'd rely on a HP.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    My vote is for hard cast SWC, heaviest and stoutest load you can handle. As a side note - a bit of a sea story - when I was getting transferred to Kodiak AK several years back, Exec was telling me about the Island. I asked about using a 357 in bear country. Exec advised me if I took a 357 to Kodiak be sure and file off the front sight. I bit - Why? I asked. Answer, when the bear shoves the 357 up my ***** it wont hurt as bad. I've never forgotten that.
    I got pretty much the same story in Fairbanks, only it was so you didn't chip your teeth as you put that last bullet in your mouth--as in it ain't stopping no AK bear!.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Just take a buddy with you that you can run faster then him. Makes your bullet choice less crutial.
    Don't even have to do that. Just yell, "RUN!" at your buddy and the bear will go after him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links