Defensive Carry banner

Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry?

42K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  OldVet 
#1 ·
What do you think? When I go on long backpacking trips I usually choose to carry a .357 mag instead of a .44 mag because my .357 is so much lighter. When I go camping with the car or just for the weekend I will bring the .44

If your carrying a 3" .357 mag in black bear and moose country would you carry SD HP's or FMJ? From a ballistic standpoint what would be a better choice to carry in the woods in that caliber?

#2 ·
HP is the answer, it gives great energy impact. FMJ will get exit wounds that will possible continue attack you or if it runs away will have slow dying with a lot of pain. My .02

#5 ·
you need deep penetration but expansion would be nice also. no matter - unlikely one shot from a pistol is bringing down a bear. I've seen them take multiple 12ga. slugs from 20 feet and keep coming. Nearly always takes a head shot stop them instantly. Maybe stager HP and FMJ?

#8 ·
#14 ·
In black bear/moose country I'd carry 158 or 180 grain soft points. While FMJs will do better penetrating a skull or breaking bone, you can't count on those kinds of deliberate shots if you run into a nasty surprise. The semi-jacketed soft points will give you a good mix of expansion and penetration. Just make sure you launch a few at the range so you're prepared for the sound and the fury if you do have to use 'em. And carry a couple of speed strips with some more moderate stuff (like maybe the 158 gr .38 +P LSWCHP) to give you some options in the field.

#16 ·
It's not cheap, but without a doubt I think the best option is Corbon DPX / Barnex XPB. Several reasons...

http://corbon.com/DPX.html
http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defense-DPX/357-Mag-125gr-Self-Defense-DPX/DPX357125-20/200/Product

* Lacking the squishy lead makes it more consistent. You get more reliable expansion than JHP, and this also results in more consistent penetration depth.

* Penetration is deeper than JHP but less than FMJ, this makes it ideal for both hunting and self defense because you are more likely to reach vital organs without the risk of over penetration and wasted kinetic energy.

* Because 100% of the mass is retained it is also better at going through thick animal bones and barriers than JHP, rather than glancing off.

* Now comes the downside, although I don't really think it is a downside: because the copper is slightly less dense than lead, you get slightly less room for powder than with a JHP round. This means it has slightly lower velocity and less recoil. I don't think this is a negative because a tiny increase in velocity has no benefit, if anything it just reduces expansion size by taking the spurs off an otherwise good mushroom.

#19 ·
Unless you stick the barrel in the bear's mouth when you fire, a handgun isn't very effective.

That being said, having the .357 is better than leaving the heavy .44 at home. I agree w/ the CORBON advice. The DPX gives you the best compromise in penetration and expansion.

Personally, I carry a 3" .44 Magnum w/ 240gr JHP for the back country and I practice enough that I shot my former agency's qual course with it. Look at a good carry system if the weight bothers you. If you don't like it on your belt try a shoulder holster to distribute the weight better. Just throwing it out there.

#21 · (Edited)
What do you think? When I go on long backpacking trips I usually choose to carry a .357 mag instead of a .44 mag because my .357 is so much lighter. When I go camping with the car or just for the weekend I will bring the .44

If your carrying a 3" .357 mag in black bear and moose country would you carry SD HP's or FMJ? From a ballistic standpoint what would be a better choice to carry in the woods in that caliber?
Neither. On creatures like these you want penetration. Best rounds to use are a SWC, LFN, or WFN all lead hardcast gas checked bullet. THIS is what I carry when I am in bear country here in the Pacific Northwest. Me personally, I would NEVER use a hollow point bullet on any game animal (other than varmits); NEVER, EVER.

#22 ·
Pepper spray......Or the .44 with heavy bullets. In cougar country carry another person, cause you wont see it coming..

#23 ·
I've never seriously considered what I'd load with if bears were a possibility. Probably would tote a .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum stoked with full-power lead semi-wadcutter handloads if there was a real possibility of an encounter with critters that bite back and I couldn't carry a suitable long arm.

#25 ·
The simple answer is to alternate in the cylinder (FMJ / HP) with rounds that have similiar recoil. I do this all the time with a sidearm when hunting / hiking, as my concerns range from 2 legged to 4 legged.

+1 on the pepper spray. It is not always clear cut when to fire in SD with a wild creature. Most of the time surprise (for both you and the critter) is the major problem. For those times when not sure, pepper fogger / spay can be used to warn. There are also studies that show that the rare critters bent on attack might respond to retreat to pepper spray than a hit by a round or the sound of a firearm.

I'm not suggesting I would take a firearm over spray (I'm simply not sure). I just take both when camping / hiking (when hunting, the pepper is replaced with a 30-06).

FYI, I was just told with bear it might be best to aim for the shoulder followed by a head shot in a (pistol) SD situation. The head can take damage, and might trigger a more aggressive attack, while an initial shoulder hit (even if followed with head shots) might trigger retreat. The bear expects head blows, but is taken by suprise (and slowed) by an injured shoulder. Just something I've been told.

#27 ·
i carry 225 gain Hornaday lever evolution in my .44mag for SD when I carry it around town, I would trust it to defend against a bear as it is the only back country gun i would carry

#29 ·
My vote is penetration on a bear. That would mean a solid point, preferably, hard cast. Expansion won't help if it does'nt reach the vitals. Even a non expanding .35 cal. in the heart or brain beats a .50 cal. expanding in fat or on the outside of bone. Just my opinion

#30 ·
I hear what you are saying, but I saw a video of a Grizzly rolling in an area just sprayed with pepper spray like a dog on road kill. That turned me off to depending on bear spray!

#32 ·
I would say HP is the better choice....however...on my backpacking or hiking trips in mountain country...I have either my Blackhawk .357 or .41 mag....both are stoked with hardcast SWC's....but I still carry handloaded Hornady XTP's for both as well.

#33 ·
My vote is for hard cast SWC, heaviest and stoutest load you can handle. As a side note - a bit of a sea story - when I was getting transferred to Kodiak AK several years back, Exec was telling me about the Island. I asked about using a 357 in bear country. Exec advised me if I took a 357 to Kodiak be sure and file off the front sight. I bit - Why? I asked. Answer, when the bear shoves the 357 up my ***** it wont hurt as bad. I've never forgotten that.:redface:

#37 ·
I got pretty much the same story in Fairbanks, only it was so you didn't chip your teeth as you put that last bullet in your mouth--as in it ain't stopping no AK bear!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.