Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry?

This is a discussion on Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you think? When I go on long backpacking trips I usually choose to carry a .357 mag instead of a .44 mag because ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollow points or FMJ in the backcountry?

What do you think? When I go on long backpacking trips I usually choose to carry a .357 mag instead of a .44 mag because my .357 is so much lighter. When I go camping with the car or just for the weekend I will bring the .44

If your carrying a 3" .357 mag in black bear and moose country would you carry SD HP's or FMJ? From a ballistic standpoint what would be a better choice to carry in the woods in that caliber?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

HP is the answer, it gives great energy impact. FMJ will get exit wounds that will possible continue attack you or if it runs away will have slow dying with a lot of pain. My .02
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

My vote is HP, althought the FMJ gives a better wound trial for a bleed out that only works if the bear runs away from you.... No comfort in him bleeding out while he is ripping your head off..

Neither, BB 180 gr lead LFNGC
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

you need deep penetration but expansion would be nice also. no matter - unlikely one shot from a pistol is bringing down a bear. I've seen them take multiple 12ga. slugs from 20 feet and keep coming. Nearly always takes a head shot stop them instantly. Maybe stager HP and FMJ?
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Guantes may have a point - wasn't familiar with this load until now - looks pretty impressive for wild game/hunting.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

I have two boxes of these exact rounds I picked up at cabelas a couple months ago. These would probably be my choice but they are more than a handful out of a 3" .357. I'm not recoil sensitive but these things hurt! I shot 5 rounds and said that's enough. These are probably what I would carry in it but I was just curious, thanks guys.

Unless I put the houge grips back on the ruger I can't even hang on to the thing with the tiny badger boot grips shooting those BB loads.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    When fishing in bear country, (black bears) I carry a 649 with Corbon 200 Gr HC bullets. Really stout load, and at point blank range I feel they would do the trick....Better than a rock or a stick

http://www.shopcorbon.com/CORBON-Hun...20/300/Product
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I shoot them out of my 3" GP100 and that is what I carry hiking and we have BB's, moose, elk and griz although smaller than the northern ones. The 180s are stout, but not unmanagable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I load federal 158gr. softpoint flat nose. Being in a totaly different area..... My main worry is feral hog, dog. Maybe a rabid cyote or mountain lion. Possible aggressive buck...father-in-law was attcked by one 'bout six years ago while clearing brush.

I shoot them out of my 3" GP100 and that is what I carry hiking and we have BB's, moose, elk and griz although smaller than the northern ones. The 180s are stout, but not unmanagable.
    There not unmanageable with a good grip but with the small boot grip I have on there now I just can't hold on to the darn thing. Definitely a stout load! Sometimes I bring along the 10mm but I prefer the .357

+ 1. If don't have those, I do with FMJ's or tipped ammo.... for penetration when you are talking bears, etc. If you were talking coyotes and cougars, HP's..... they have thinner skin and skulls.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

if for defense for bear/cougar, then this... FMJ has a round nose, this is prone to recochete off a skull, and causes little damage... a flat point hard cast offers better penetrating and more damage, and it way more likely to penetrate a hard skull

for coyotes, jhp

In black bear/moose country I'd carry 158 or 180 grain soft points. While FMJs will do better penetrating a skull or breaking bone, you can't count on those kinds of deliberate shots if you run into a nasty surprise. The semi-jacketed soft points will give you a good mix of expansion and penetration. Just make sure you launch a few at the range so you're prepared for the sound and the fury if you do have to use 'em. And carry a couple of speed strips with some more moderate stuff (like maybe the 158 gr .38 +P LSWCHP) to give you some options in the field.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

What kind of critters you got up your way? I'm still trying to find a long enough trail up there.

I'm personally planning on just going with my 9mm Hollowpoints

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links