PDX1 +p in a Taurus PT111

This is a discussion on PDX1 +p in a Taurus PT111 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read a lot of good things about the Winchester PDX1 +p rounds. Right now, that is my most economical choice for SD rounds. ...

Thread: PDX1 +p in a Taurus PT111

PDX1 +p in a Taurus PT111

I have read a lot of good things about the Winchester PDX1 +p rounds. Right now, that is my most economical choice for SD rounds. The instructions that came with my Taurus PT111 say that the gun was not designed for +p ammo. So far, I have put about 1,000 rounds of Remington UMC 115 g FMJ's through the gun. I have never had a jam or misfire. Last weekend, I shot a full box of my "carry ammo" for the first time. The Winchester PDX1 +p 124 g HP shot just fine. I really could not tell any difference between the two rounds,

Has anyone else had experience with the same combo that I am using, or if you have a Taurus PT111, what round do you use that you have found to be 100% reliable?

Thanks guys for all your input. I have learned a lot over the past few months lurking around here.

2. Remove Ads

For my Taurus PT111, I use mostly Federal 115 Personal Defense (the current incarnation of their famous 9BP load) or 124 Hydra-Shok, and Winchester Silvertips. I've run other JHPs through it, but I can almost always count on being able to find the Fed & Win locally.

FWIW, my PT-111 is about the least ammo-sensitive gun I've owned as far as feeding is concerned. I've never had it choke on anything I've fed it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Like gasmitty, I have found that my PT111 eats everything I feed it. Mine is a Gen 3 or Pro.

I use Speer GDHP 124 gr+P.

What generation of PT111 are you using? My manual says something to the effect that it is rated for up to 1250 fps on 124 gr ammo which would clearly put it in the +P range. The speer chrono out of my PT111 at about 1125 fps if I remember correctly. They are 1210 or so out of my 24/7. I don't think that with the limited number of hot SD rounds you can afford to shoot to check for reliability your gun is going to suffer any ill effects.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks for the responses so far. Farronwolf, I believe mine is the Gen 4 Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm. I have the 12+1 clip version with the stainless slide. I did hesitate on purchasing that gun at first until I realized that the vast majority of the performance issues were with the Gen 1 and 2 models of the Gun, mainly the Millennium and not the Mill Pro version. I have never seen a bad review of the model that I purchased. I would rate the value of the PT111 very high. I bought the gun because it was the one that felt best in my hand and because I liked it the most. The great added benefit was that it was also the cheapest option that I was considering at the time. However, now that I have purchased my first handgun, those Kimber 1911's sure are beautiful.

Links