Guard Dog taking over for HydraShok - Page 3

Guard Dog taking over for HydraShok

This is a discussion on Guard Dog taking over for HydraShok within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be switching to Glazers for the summer months. Not as heavy a round, and not going THROUGH anything; just in. They are somewhat ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Guard Dog taking over for HydraShok

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I will be switching to Glazers for the summer months. Not as heavy a round, and not going THROUGH anything; just in. They are somewhat expensive, but I don't have to worry about my round going through the BG, and into the neighbor, or their kids.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Has anyone actually seen Guard Dog ammo on the shelves anywhere? I looked at the 4 places near me that the Federal site says carries it and so far, none of them have even heard of it. I want some, but I'm having a pretty hard time finding any.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Now in stock at sporting goods store such as Academy as well as local gun shops...20 round box street price around 27.00. For those wanting to try, the only advantage I see is if you have had trouble finding a non FMJ round that will feed properly.
    Very much a different product than ES AFR or glaser SS. I would think that if you wanted to go this route, you would be choosing one of those which will not even go through 1 insulated wall (two pieces of drywall), rather than this round which will go through at least 2.
    Not endorsing the round, just putting the locations I have seen it for sale.
    Last edited by texan fan; May 17th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Ex Member
    In 40+ years of shooting I have seen "NEW...IMPROVED...BEST EVER...." ammo come out every few years. Spend your time at the range and quit looking for the 'magic one shot needed bullet.'

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    "Some are upset if the new bullets won't penetrate four (4) layers of wall material and then penetrate ballistic jello. Think about that. Should you really be shooting at someone two rooms away?"

I agree, shouldn't be shooting at someone 4 walls away...but what if you need to shoot through a windshield? I want my bullet to have enough uummph to pull it off and still penetrate the target. There is a fine line between not enough penetration and too much. Hard to say but different scenarios call for different loads...sometimes I think we all overthink ammo.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    If you need to shoot through a windshield, are they a direct threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    If you need to shoot through a windshield, are they a direct threat?
    I dunno...if they are armed, and going to do their best to harm you, would YOU consider it a threat?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

HST

The chances of me needing to shoot through a windshield, plywood, sheet metal to defend my life is near zero (unlike law enforcement that does traffic stops). Knowing how poorly pistol bullets perform on human targets, how inaccurate most are at hitting a critical part of the target to immediately stop the threat, and having to go through hard barrier. I'm probably not even going to stand there and try to gun down the target. I figure my chances of defending myself are much higher if I simply run.

In an apartment/condo, the chances are much higher for the need to defend myself. And the last thing I would want is to fire through wall board and hit an innocent child or other victim, I would rather die in the attack. So I'd choose something that would be less danger to other innocents.

Weighing those options, I'd choose my ballistics for apartment/condo.
    .XX likes this.

For the children

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    In an apartment with shared walls, maybe children in another room in close proximity? I can see some uses for it. There is always the potential for missing your target and you don't want to kill an innocent bystander.
    Same argument I hear from those advocating using ineffective bird shot for HD. Seems the solution is more training and practice hitting your target under stress instead of preparing to miss using an anemic round.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I still can't find any of the Guard Dog ammo anywhere. Has anyone else had any luck actually spotting any on any store shelves?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I still can't find any of the Guard Dog ammo anywhere. Has anyone else had any luck actually spotting any on any store shelves?
    9x19mm: Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 9mm Federal Premium Guard Dog 105gr. EFMJ Ammo [PD9GRD] - $21.95

.40 S&W: Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 40 S&W Federal Premium Guard Dog 135gr. EFMJ Ammo [PD40GRD] - $23.95

[Note: I don't carry either of these (180gr HST), I was just posting for informational purposes!]
    Last edited by HK Jake; June 5th, 2011 at 02:16 AM.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

Nope.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Think I'll stick with my gold dots1

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Interesting design though, an expanding bullet that isn't a hollowpoint.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links