Not sure what to do....

This is a discussion on Not sure what to do.... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im stuck and not sure what to do... I want to start stocking up on ammo but not sure what to do. I would love ...

Thread: Not sure what to do....

Not sure what to do....

Im stuck and not sure what to do... I want to start stocking up on ammo but not sure what to do. I would love to get a reloader and start hand loading rounds but im not sure if its worth it are not. I'd like to learn how to reload because I think its awesome to shoot rounds that you made. But on the same hand I here all this bad talk about shooting reloads through a glock. Oh by the way, im looking to stock up on 40cal rounds. I found the Lee Pro 1000 for roughly $170.00 bucks, it comes set up for whatever caliber you have. You just buy brass, primers, powder and bullets. Now your prolly thinking that im going to start shooting more if I reload, wrong answer, I just whant to start stocking up. Now, with all that said, I found a web site that sells ammo in bulk and I can get 1000 rounds for $375.00 and $14.00 to ship it. I personally dont think thats a bad price. Thats for a good quality hollow point also. They do sell several different brands of ammo. Not sure what to do, should I buy all the stuff to hand load are just buy new ammo in bulk?

Oh yea, if your wondering why I whant so many rounds on hand all I can say is, look at the world we live in. Enough said.
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

2. Remove Ads

going to pm you

I will be watching this thread closely as I have not yet really settled on SD ammo for my Glock 27. I have Hornady XTP in it now, but have been considering HST and Speer Gold Dots. I have been a fan of the Gold Dots because they appear to have very reliable expansion (plus they just look so cool when they expand). The pictures I have seen of the HST's seem to not be as uniform in their expansion. Makes me think they are not as reliable. No proof, just a feeling.

The thing that has me hesitating on the Gold Dots is I read that Speer loads their 40 caliber to a little lighter load than other manufacturers.

If anyone out there has Chrono data on different 40 caliber bullets, I would appreciate the information. In particular I think I want to stay with the heavier 180 grain loads, no matter what manufacturer I chose.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I will be watching this thread closely as I have not yet really settled on SD ammo for my Glock 27. I have Hornady XTP in it now, but have been considering HST and Speer Gold Dots. I have been a fan of the Gold Dots because they appear to have very reliable expansion (plus they just look so cool when they expand). The pictures I have seen of the HST's seem to not be as uniform in their expansion. Makes me think they are not as reliable. No proof, just a feeling.

The thing that has me hesitating on the Gold Dots is I read that Speer loads their 40 caliber to a little lighter load than other manufacturers.

If anyone out there has Chrono data on different 40 caliber bullets, I would appreciate the information. In particular I think I want to stay with the heavier 180 grain loads, no matter what manufacturer I chose.

Here is brassfetcher info on speer GD,,,,,,.40 S&W Speer 180gr Short Barrel Gold Dot JHP (5 shot test)
    I will PM you so you for sure have info.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Unless you reload and shoot aLOT......it'd take awhile before you see some 'real' savings. The .40 is a high pressure load and the glock having an unsupported chamber has made for some stories.

Myself, I stay with the quality store-bought SD loads. I Always keep a couple boxes and I probley have 2K rounds of asorted target loads Winchester White Box (WWB.......Wally-World specials). Every [pay day I get a box or three.......
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I reload for my Glock 30 .45ACP and a box of fifty costs me about $9. A box of target ammo at WM is about $17--when they have it (still on the short end of the inventory).

I read all the hoopla about shooting lead in Glocks, bought a Storm Lake for that, had feeding issues with it, now shoot my LRNs thru the Glock barrel with no evidence of lead buildup. While the "margin of error" apparently is reduced in the .40 round in comparison to other calibers, I'm sure there are many who reload for it with no problems, and some may jump in with specific info on that caliber.

If you're concerned about recooping your investment in reloading equipment, don't get into it. Reload for the satisfaction of shooting your own loads, which can be tailored to perfection in your gun. The money differences will work out somewhere along the way. You trade your time for the lower cost of ammo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My rule of thumb is "1000 rounds for each weapon." That's enough for a TEOTWAWKI situation (doesn't have to be anarchy - could be something as simple as an ammo ban). Far as I can tell, based on my personal research, high-quality SD rounds don't go bad; so I can't find any reason to get into reloading. My time is worth a lot more than the cost of ammo, so it wouldn't make any sense for me unless I was like Hickok45 and shot a lot on my own personal range.

For a while, I remember there being a shortage of primers. The idea of being totally self-sufficient in the production of ammo is a kind of illusion. The typical home reloader will need a supply of brass shell casings, gunpowder, primers, lead, etc., and each of these is a consumable. All the equipment does is assemble them.

More likely, in a worst-case scenario, the supply of ammo will tighten up and be available for many, many years yet to come, but simply be more expensive. Meeting your needs for food, water, medicine, and power will be the critical necessities.

If you haven't read it yet, bookmark this article and read it. Read it again every now and then and think about it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Well guys ive made up my mind, not to get into reloading. Now with that being said, im going to order 1000 rounds just not sure what kind yet. Id really like to stock up on some good quality JHP's. Are should I just stock up on FMJ's? Im stuck again, its so much cheaper to go with FMJ's but id rather have JHP's. What should I do?
    Generation 4 Glock 23

JHP's are made to expand and that helps keeping the bullet 'inside' whatever (or whomever) your shooting, transfering all of the bullets energy to your target AND giving some manner of (hopefully) preventing the bullet from hitting an 'unintended' target behind. FMJ's are notorious for passing through, therefor NOT transfering all it's energy (read: knockdown power) and increasing the chance of unintended collateral damage.

Keep a couple hundred quality JHP's around (like Speer Gold Dots......do a search of ballistics for your .40 here, that'll give you a good base knowledge) and rotate the older boxes as range fodder. Whatever load you settle on as your primary carry load, always run at least a box through your carry gun every range trip.
    I like to keep a good quanity of the cheaper FMJ's for range practice. That's what I do anyways.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I wouldn't romance the idea too much. If you've go the money, go ahead and buy JHPs, and if you don't - like a lot of us who buy in bulk - get ball ammo.

In a real desperate situation, the BGs you're trying to keep at bay won't really care what you're shooting at them with. 9mm rounds have accounted for a lot of battlefield casualties over the years, and .40 is a significant step up from that.

Oh yea, if your wondering why I want so many rounds on hand...
    FYI, I don't think many DC contributors view 1000 rounds as an unusually large quantity. 10,000 or more, maybe.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I wouldn't romance the idea too much. If you've go the money, go ahead and buy JHPs, and if you don't - like a lot of us who buy in bulk - get ball ammo.

In a real desperate situation, the BGs you're trying to keep at bay won't really care what you're shooting at them with. 9mm rounds have accounted for a lot of battlefield casualties over the years, and .40 is a significant step up from that.

FYI, I don't think many DC contributors view 1000 rounds as an unusually large quantity. 10,000 or more, maybe.
    I know 1000 rounds isnt a dump truck load of ammo but its a start for me.
    Generation 4 Glock 23

Quote Originally Posted by bunkiefd4 View Post
    Im stuck and not sure what to do... I want to start stocking up on ammo but not sure what to do. I would love to get a reloader and start hand loading rounds but im not sure if its worth it are not. I'd like to learn how to reload because I think its awesome to shoot rounds that you made. But on the same hand I here all this bad talk about shooting reloads through a glock. Oh by the way, im looking to stock up on 40cal rounds. I found the Lee Pro 1000 for roughly $170.00 bucks, it comes set up for whatever caliber you have. You just buy brass, primers, powder and bullets. Now your prolly thinking that im going to start shooting more if I reload, wrong answer, I just whant to start stocking up. Now, with all that said, I found a web site that sells ammo in bulk and I can get 1000 rounds for $375.00 and $14.00 to ship it. I personally dont think thats a bad price. Thats for a good quality hollow point also. They do sell several different brands of ammo. Not sure what to do, should I buy all the stuff to hand load are just buy new ammo in bulk?

Oh yea, if your wondering why I whant so many rounds on hand all I can say is, look at the world we live in. Enough said.
    A quick check at luckygunner.com had this for 1000 .40S&W.
    40 S&W - 180 gr FMJ FN - Federal Champion - 1000 Rounds Inventory Confirmed - In Stock
    40 S&W - 180 gr FMJ FN - Federal Champion - 1000 Rounds
    $275.00 $275.00 27.5¢ (per round)
    Shipping was more to TX than your quote, it was $26-$28 for the 1000.

What I do is find ball ammo that has the same POA/POI as my preferred carry round.

Buy a lot of the ball ammo for practice and a fair amount of your chosen carry round for reliability testing.

Good luck and train hard.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Guys today on top of buying my wifes new LCP, I bought 600 rounds of ammo JHP's. Another one of the local gun shops is running a sale on ammo. I picked up 12 boxes of 180 Grain Federal Ammo. 50 rounds per box and each box was 17 bucks. $204 plus some taxes, I could have bought some bulk on the net but I like to support the local gun shop so I bought the ammo over there. I already had 4 boxes of the exact same ammo at home so this now makes 16 boxes. I feel like going back and buying some more.
    Generation 4 Glock 23

Links